Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Locking mechanism fails intermittently

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
armensd is an unknown quantity at this point
Locking mechanism fails intermittently

Hello. I recently read a very helpful DYI here regarding removing the door panel. I'm fairly new to the DYI trade, but I'm very enthusiastic to take part of the DYI community.

On to the problem. While removing the front left door panel I must have broken something, because now my front left and back left door locks fail intermittently ( that is, once every 5 times or so one of them will fail ). Note I did not even touch the back door panel, though I bumped the lock switch while removing the front panel.

I'd appreciate if someone could give me some insight into how I could have broken this mechanism. I checked the rod connected to the door handle in the front, and it seems to be straight.

I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-08-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Locking mechanism fails intermittently

i really have no idea how the other doors would be affected. the master lock switch is there, but either it works or it doesnt. maybe the connector is loose?
Old 07-09-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
armensd is an unknown quantity at this point

Well, I checked the connectors and I don't see any problems there. Is it possible that my flipping the lock switch while the door panel was removed somehow bent the mechanical rods?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, if I could provide any further details that could help identify the problem, please let me know and I will do so.
Old 07-09-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

each door has its own locking system tho. and those rods are very hard to bend. even if you did bend something, it would only affect the front driver door. i really dont think this problem was caused by what you did. maybe it was already there and you never noticed. it sounds more like a mechanical problem like the actuator going bad.