Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Backed into Brick wall! (T_T)

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CDN-Retard is an unknown quantity at this point
Backed into Brick wall! (T_T)

I'm an idiot and backed into the brick wall in my garage. Now there's these small scrapes. From the looks of it, down to the metal. I was stupid enough to leave it open aired in the salt spray of Toronto streets. Seems to be a bit of rust on it now (see pic).

I've been reading up on DIYs and bought materials, including paint, to fix it. But I thought, Should i leave this to a body shop if I intend on keeping my car for 5+ years??

Also, I've heard I should put nail polish on it until I have time (or temp is warm enough) to fix it. Should I do that? Would I have to remove the rust first?

Any advice/feedback would help! Thanks in advance!

Old 01-25-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: Backed into Brick wall! (T_T)

First off... wow, your car looks nasty. Wash it!

The lady I bought my car from scrapped a pillar on a parking garage when she was backing up. Dumb... it looks just like yours, if not a little worse. I didnt do anything about it, it wasnt down to the bare metal, but the primer or whatever that coating is that is a greyish brown. Its not rust... its just an odd color. But then again, I dont have salt on the roads out here.

Dont do nail polish that will just mess it up. What you need to do is get rid of any rust that is there, and prime it. Then you can hit it with paint... but it will be noticeable if you dont have a shop do it for you... its up to you tho.
Old 01-25-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Backed into Brick wall! (T_T)

stuff happens. get the rust off and put touchup paint til you can afford to fix it. the whole panel and maybe the bumper will have to be repainted.