Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

White Smoke, Car won't start

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2008
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JackBlack2005 is an unknown quantity at this point
White Smoke, Car won't start

So if you have read any of my other posts since the past 3 weeks then you would know that I was trying to do a head swap and this and this and this. Well anyways... We finally got my old head back on and working and had to stick with that and the other day I noticed that it started clicking really bad coming from under the hood. So I took the valve cover off and started it up and noticed that the very first valve spring and rocker arm were not staying together so the spring would come back up and hit the rocker arm

Well I tried to fix it and thought I did. Well on my way to work yesterday it started making that noise again, but then all of a sudden just sounded like my engine fell out of my car and I had white smoke coming out of the exhaust and my CAI. I tried looking at it couldn't really see any damage on the top of the head, but when i tried to take my spark plugs out to look at everything the one that goes on top of the first cylinder will not move. No matter how hard I try I can not get it to budge and get out of there. If anybody can tell me why this crap is happening I'd appreciate it. Oh and as far as my car goes its an automatic and the only way it will start up is if I hold the gas in, but then immediately the rpms drop and it cuts off and smoke comes out of every single hole so please help

Last edited by JackBlack2005; 05-30-2008 at 01:18 PM. Reason: forgot one word
Old 05-30-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: White Smoke, Car won't start

blew the head gasket
Old 05-30-2008
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute

White smoke = Steam = Head gasket blown.
Old 05-30-2008
Registered!!

what could've caused that to happen?
Old 05-30-2008
Registered!!

rednwhite04 will become famous soon enough

theres a chance you didnt burp the coolant system when you put the old head back on and the airpockets would cause you to have less coolant than you should = hot = blown head gasket and even possibly a warped head. bummer.
Old 05-30-2008
Registered!!

rice4lyfe will become famous soon enough

blown head gasket, probably a water/coolant passage.

take out the spark plugs, and see if the plugs are unusually clean, usually means steam cleaned from the coolant/water
Old 05-30-2008
Registered!!

well actually the spark plug that goes in where the first cylinder is actually was melted to the head so yea I'm pretty sure that means the head is prolly F**ked to so it definitely sucks. I'm trying to convince my dad to take it off our insurance and take the tags off of it and then convince him to co-sign with me to get another decent car and just save up my money and go ahead and drop a K20 in it since it aint really going anywhere anytime soon
Old 05-30-2008
Premium Member

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

A head is 150-200 bucks used... just make sure there is no bottom end damage, get a used head and pick up a headgasket from honda. Your set. Why bother buying a whole new car- thats a huge waste of money.