Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Very weird auto tranny problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008
Pinkslip Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough
Very weird auto tranny problem?

this might be a lil long, but bare with me.

So I have a 2002 auto civic. I bought an 01 auto tranny used off someone a while ago, and finally put it in last week.

First thing I noticed was the green circle beside the "D" was flashing. So the car was scanned (check engine was on, but its on 24/7 cuz im missing a oxygen sensor)

Got a code that was around the lines of "input shaft speed sensor". I read that a speed sensor code isn't always a speed sensor problem, but could also mean a mechanical problem inside the tranny. And my speedo//odo still works

Now, this "new" tranny slips like CRAAAAZY and I have no overdrive. So it kinda sucks when I'm constantly @ 4000rpm doing 130km/h on the highway, which is why I always gotta cruise around 80kmh/s @ 3000rpm. So I figured the D was flashing because I had no overdrive.

Now here's the odd part. Sometimes the D doesn't flash right away, and for that little bit that it doesn't start flashing, the tranny drives mint. Absolutely no slipping, perfect shifts, and the overdrive works. I went on the highway, it wen't into overdrive no problem, then after 1 minute, the D starting flashing the the tranny dropped out of overdrive and was slipping again all over the place

What could it be?
Old 05-20-2008
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Very weird auto tranny problem?

almost always a flashing D means tranny problems. looks like you got a trashed tranny installed. 01 and 02 auto is the worst and most of them are toasted by 100k miles (altho ive seen plenty of em start slipping at 25k miles). mine started slipping at 50k miles but ive since babied it alot with new fluid every year, trans cooler and filter, and light driving and so far im at 75k without much problem other than a small slipping going into third. but yeah yours sounds like its about to die.
Old 05-20-2008
Pinkslip Racer

^^

then why is it when the D doesn't flash, it drives good? like if i went outside right now, id say theres a 50% chance ill start the car, the d wont flash and it will go into gears without hesitation
Old 05-20-2008
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

interesting. maybe the ecu is going to safe mode when it comes on, i know the trans shifts become sloppy when that happens. so maybe its really an electrical issue or whatever the speed sensor thing is. thats connected to the tranny isnt it?
Old 05-22-2008
2001 Civic LX Sedan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biscuit will become famous soon enoughBiscuit will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by gearbox
almost always a flashing D means tranny problems. looks like you got a trashed tranny installed. 01 and 02 auto is the worst and most of them are toasted by 100k miles (altho ive seen plenty of em start slipping at 25k miles). mine started slipping at 50k miles but ive since babied it alot with new fluid every year, trans cooler and filter, and light driving and so far im at 75k without much problem other than a small slipping going into third. but yeah yours sounds like its about to die.
More info on the filter please. I have a recently purchased 01 auto with 64K and I am scared to death that the tranny will **** the bed from what I have read here.
Old 05-22-2008
Premium Member

i bought the external fluid filter from the honda dealer for the HX civic with CVT tranny. it comes stock on those cars. and i just change it once a year. i mounted the bracket in front of the fan and connected the filter to the cooler lines. its a much better alternative to the stock filter inside the tranny which just gets clogged and is useless lol.

Old 05-22-2008
Pinkslip Racer

btw gearbox, thx for all the help. i think my next step is to have ny old tranny rebuilt with that tci kit you showed me and hope for the best