Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car won't crank?!?!?!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jakes01civic will become famous soon enough
Car won't crank?!?!?!?!?

Alright heres the problem. I have a 2001 civic ex. The other day it wouldn't crank so i replaced the battery after it tested bad, it started twice after i put it in then when i went to work the next morning. I was going to lunch and it wouldnt crank once again. so then i replaced the starter. it started like ten times after i replaced it. then i went to go take the core starter back and it wouldnt start. Then i was going to replace the battery cable but the one i got from autozone was the one for the car, but the one that was in the car has 4 wires. 2 of them run to the fuse box under the hood and then one of the other one runs to the starter and the other one goes somewhere else i couldn't see where it went. I thought that was weird. If anyone can give me any advice or can tell me whats wrong.
Old 09-06-2007
TURTLEonK

Nameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the rough
Re: Car won't crank?!?!?!?!?

I'm pretty sure nothing is wrong with your Battery Cable. If anything, just clean the contacts and you'll be good.

Sounds like a bad Alternator. If you can get the car started, check the voltage of the battery, if its anything lower than 13.5, your alternator is probably dead or you have a bad ground somewhere.

Before changing the starter, you should've checked the alternator.
Old 09-06-2007
Registered!!

f1n-5 is on a distinguished road

bring it in to a honda dealer..
have them check the charging system, it only takes a minute or 2.
i work at toyota and its free of charge.. just ask the service advisors nicely.
Old 09-06-2007
Registered!!

thanks for the advice guys i'll check the ground first. if thats good then i'll take it to the dealer. thanks again.
Old 09-06-2007
Registered!!

Angry Re: Car won't crank?!?!?!?!?

Ok i cleaned the connections for the ground. It still won't crank! I'm about ready to roll it off a cliff. All i can think of now is the positive battery cable but it's ran weird. I have never seen a battery cable ran like it. It runs 4 wires, 2 to the fuse box , 1 to the starter and 1 somewhere else.
Old 09-08-2007
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all

you need to perform voltage drop tests to determine if there is a connection issue. does it start if you jump it?
Old 09-10-2007
Registered!!

no it doesn't start when i jump it. I pulled the ignition switch to see if it was that. During that process I tried to start it with a screwdriver. It turned over a couple of times and then started. it wouldn't start when i put it back together. So i think i've narrowed it down to either the ignition switch or the ignition lock cylinder. Hopefully its the ignition switch because the lock cylinder from honda is 255 plus shipping.

Thanks for any advice you can give...
Old 08-05-2013
Registered!!

Nedak1995 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm pretty sure that is just how honda runs its battery cables. Positive and negative connections both go to the fuse box then from there it goes to ground and to the starter. I am having the same problem with my 2000 civic si. All my dash lights and stereo work but it just won't start. There is a clicking sound coming from a big fuse in the fuse box under the good which I've tried to replace. I've tested the battery, starter, starter solenoid, ignitions switch, clutch relay switch, and the clutch switch and they are all fine. So for my car I've narrowed it down to just the fuze box. I would have a friend try and start your car. If you hear clicking in the fuze box like I do you probably need a new fuze and its a simple fix. If you are up to trying to check the starter and everything else I mentioned I have some tests that I can walk you through so you can come to your conclusion.