Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

First time pulled over!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rev125yz is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry First time pulled over!!

Sorry, didnt know where to post this. About midnight, alot cops around this labor day weekend, especially on the highway near where i live. People getting pulled over all over the place.

So I'm heading home with my gf when i notice i'm being followed by a cop, lights and all. I wasn't speeding, I signaled and I didn't understand why i was getting pulled over. My car, stock but lowered, and i/h/e (greddy evo2 exhaust). So the cop gets out, circles my car, goes back to his, and finally comes back and issues me a citation for my "modified muffler". He says to me "you cant have that". I just kept my mouth shut, didn't wanted **** him off or anything. So he says to fix it, take it to court and it'll get dismissed.

So here I am thinking, okay, i passed my state inspection (Texas btw). What the f*ck?! So i'm just thinking these guys are either out to find drunk drivers, or trying to meet their quota. I dont know, but it seems to me like this guy just tried to get me for anything. Its just a damn hassle. And so here i am guys, what do ya think?
Old 09-02-2007
I wil fix vBPlaza today

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to allLT2004ever is a name known to all
Re: First time pulled over!!

u and your car were just profiled my friend.... do u still have your emissions papers?? if so bring those to court. Thats such a ghey ticket man....
Old 09-02-2007
My Pony Princess is the inspiration for my ride.

speedfoos is an unknown quantity at this point

Fight it. Bring your state inspection paperwork with you and tell the cop to **** off. That's crap man. You were profiled because Cletus figured the odds of a driver with a modified car is either going to run, be drunk, on drugs, or all three and he would have prevented an accident. Since you were none of the three, he should have just let you go, instead he had to cover for himself and give you that gay-*** ticket. Fight it.
Old 09-02-2007
wut y0u kn0w ab0ut them teXas b0ys...

MidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of light

Lmao modified muffler...i don't go a day without seeing one here in dallas..thats a bs ticket i would take it to court if i were you
Old 09-02-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute

its just part of having modded civic. just get it taken care of no problem. exhaust is legal in TX last time i checked. they just thought they could get you for something else, then when they cant, they have to write you some kind of a ticket or it makes them look stupid.
Old 09-02-2007
Registered!!

thanks alot for ur input guys. i'm gonna fight this one
Old 09-04-2007
Ricky Bobby style, IWGF

02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough

hey i got stopped over the weekend too (texas as well, but austin) i was stopped by a much nicer officer, county sherriff. it was about 1130pm and i didnt signal (on a normal day they wouldnt care). so he pulled me over and i had my girl in the car and i was like "****, hide the bottles" and they made the loudest noise, so there was no denying that. on a side note may i add that i am ex-army, an emt-b(with the license and the lic. plates to prove it), and a former armed security officer(with the license to prove it). i decide to be nice to try to avoid going to jail. so i turn the interior light on and have my license and insurance ready with my military id in my lap. he comes to the window and immidiately states the reason he pulled me over, "i pulled you over for not signaling" then he asks where im coming from and if i had anything to drink. im like i had a couple of beers (that was a bold faced lie, to a point, i had more like 2 beers and then 4 cocktails) so then he askes how long ago that was and i dont keep track of time when im drinking even if it is a few beers so im looking at the girl for confirmation as to how long ago it really was. and the cop says, "im asking you not her" so i tell him the truth "i dont know what time or how long ago it was i wasnt keeping time, sir"
he askes to get out of the car and come to the rear of the vehicle and im thinking "****, field sobriety test" but no wait, he starts a conversation with me. he begins by asking me, why i have EMS plates on my vehicle and, where i was an emt at. so i told him "i am an emt and im with a private service" and then his buddy pulls up and gets out so i wave and he waves back. and im like "awww ****, i got this in the bag" and he comes back and askes me if i have any open containers in the vehicle. "yes and they have pour spouts on them" they were at the feet of the girl. and *********a, the bitch almost ****ed it all up by saying "i dont know what they are" i mean wtf how can you not know that you have 3 big *** bottles of alcohol at your feet, seriously. so the cop comes back to me and tells me what she said and im like "what, she doesnt know?" and the cop and me are buddy buddy now so he gives me a warning and tells me that he doesnt see a reason to give me a field sobriety test since i dont "show" any signs of impairment even tho im drunk as **** but i can hold my balance pretty well and look like im ok. so then he tells me that he could have given her a ticket just for having open containers at her feet and trying to lie about it. and then sent a DWI on our way with open containers in the vehicle, well he made me put them in the trunk and then proceded to teach me the law on open containers i was like damn he is a nice cop. that **** was great. she was pissed just cause the cop took her id i was like you should be happy no one went to jail, but no, such as a woman they have to focus on the bullshit and cause drama.

Last edited by 02civic21; 09-04-2007 at 10:23 AM.
Old 09-04-2007
M4H
Registered!!

M4H is a jewel in the roughM4H is a jewel in the roughM4H is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by 02civic21
all that ****, by you
Repeat after me: "Paragraphs are my friend."
You claim to be an EMT and drive drunk? You should be thankful that you didn't get nailed for that, because that would have meant being handed a pink slip and a cardboard box today around here.

Threadstarter - you're on the right track. Bring the inspection papers into the courthouse, show them that you're legit, and it'll get tossed. Yes, it's a nuisance, but there isn't much you can do unless you want to carry all of your paperwork in your glovebox.
Old 09-04-2007
Ricky Bobby style, IWGF

02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough02civic21 is a jewel in the rough

man why cant you just keep that **** to yourself, where the **** do you live. no it doesnt mean that im handed a pink slip and a cardboard box because im not an emt anymore and even if i was, civil services dont turn each other in here, did you happen read "was". if i was too ****faced to drive i wouldnt have because that would mean i was putting innocent lives in danger, i said that becasue i know i was over the legal limit, but doesnt make for a good story. who made you the english literature ****. stfu and just enjoy the story get a good laugh and move on.
i dont give too much of a **** about punctuation or the english language because this is a forum not a term paper

theres your **** paragraph

Last edited by 02civic21; 09-04-2007 at 01:38 PM. Reason: sorry triz i edited
Old 09-04-2007
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang

Language please.......
Old 09-04-2007
Ricky Bobby style, IWGF

Im just tired of all the neg comments on this forum from people trying to start stuff. If you dont like the post then fine, keep it to yourself and move on.

Last edited by 02civic21; 09-04-2007 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-11-2007
Registered!!

Hey guys, i found that it technically is illegal to change anything on your car here in Texas so i've decided to go back to stock exhaust so i wouldn't have to deal with this crap. So in the interest of taking a shortcut to get my ticket dismissed, does anyone know for sure if the stock EX muffler will fit the Greddy Evo2 b-pipe? thanks
Old 09-12-2007

MidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of lightMidnightCivic is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by rev125yz
Hey guys, i found that it technically is illegal to change anything on your car here in Texas so i've decided to go back to stock exhaust so i wouldn't have to deal with this crap. So in the interest of taking a shortcut to get my ticket dismissed, does anyone know for sure if the stock EX muffler will fit the Greddy Evo2 b-pipe? thanks
i call bs on this one
Old 10-12-2007
Registered!!

BigD001 can only hope to improve

I got pulled over at least by every cop in my town in cali because of my exhaust. In cali theres two part of the law one states you cant put an aftermarket muffer on your car but the second says that it cant be louder then 96 desables. I won every case so one thing to do is look up the code you were sited for and read see if theres away to bypass it.
Old 10-12-2007
Registered!!

firmhonda is just really nicefirmhonda is just really nicefirmhonda is just really nicefirmhonda is just really nice

Originally Posted by rev125yz
You're 100% wrong and anyone that told you that is a retard. Up until recently I used to b/s with a tarrant county sheriff almost every weekend and he had a highly modified chevelle. ANY modifications are legal in texas as long as you can still pass a full inspection. I've got friends with modded evos, highly modded srt4's, boosted em1, I could go on and on.. Every single one of them has been pulled over and not a single one of them has ever even been threatened with a warning for a "modified exhaust."

You got jacked around by a freshly shipped in cali cop and that's it. Hell, my buddy got pulled over in his srt4 doing 140 and they didn't mention any of his modifications until him and the cop started b/sing and laughing. The cop was cool as hell and told him that he knew how fast he must have been going, but he clocked him just as he had dropped gears so only gave him a ticket for 90 mph.

You either need to fight this ticket or not to anything illegal ever again. It's smart to pick your battles but this is definitely one you should fight.

Oh yeah, drunk drivers are retards. If you don't want someone replying to your comment then don't post it up, don't get an attitude because someone replies to your dumbass story.
Old 10-12-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Everyone's saying it's bullshit, yet nobody's pointing out the area of the Highway Traffic And Safety Act that specifies it. How do you know it's bullshit? Maybe it is illegal.

To the original poster, this is simple:
- if you paid the inspector to pass your inspection illegally with your modified exhaust, you got what you deserve
- if you passed the inspection legally, just bring it down to the courthouse and show them. Cops make mistakes, it's okay.
Old 10-12-2007
Registered!!

firmhonda is just really nicefirmhonda is just really nicefirmhonda is just really nicefirmhonda is just really nice

I'm saying it's bullshit because I've lived in texas for damn near all my life and it's simply bullshit.

As long as you can pass inspection it's legal, and there's no documentation required for each individual aftermarket part to say that it is actually legal.. Basically, CARB is for cali, not texas. I'm not trying to be an *** or anything but he needs to fight this and he's a retard if he doesn't.

You can pass inspection with a stock exhaust and then bust out the straight catless 3 inch pipe afterwards and as long as your throw the stock exhaust when inspection time rolls back around you're good to go.
Old 10-12-2007
Registered!!

well as an update i live next to sheriff whom i talk to and he explained to me that basically anything that isn't installed by the factory, is illegal. He said it all depends on whether or not the cop decides to pull you over.

it so happens that hes good friends with the cop the pulled me over so he was able to talk him down to changing it to a warning. i am still contemplating changing the exhaust back to stock just so i wont have to deal with this crap anymore. stupid i know, so technically by this aftermarket wheels are illegal..but oh well i guess. That said, i would consider offers for my greddy if anyone's interested
Old 10-12-2007
Registered!!

That sheriff is either retarded or blowing smoke up your *** because he doesn't want to hear your exhaust drive by his house every day.

My step dad was a dallas cop, I've got friends that fish with Judge Ritchie, I used to talk to a Tarrant County Sheriff on a damn near weekly basis, and I've been around modified cars my whole life.. Unless it's something that is only in el paso (which I doubt since el paso is ricer central <- not directed towards you) then that cop was simply blowing smoke up your ***. As long as you pass inspection it's legal, end of story. If it was any different then you would have to have a carb-like system in place in texas, which isn't going to happen any time soon.

I know that it's retarded to tell you to trust me on this since I'm just a wheelchair on the interwebs and all, but you should trust me. Out of curiosity I called a friend of mine that owns a shop by TCU, he told me the same thing and he doesn't even sell performance parts so he has nothing to gain.

Why in the world would it be illegal for you to have an exhaust and perfectly legal for the 100000000 trucks in texas to have lift kits, huge rims, glasspacks, etc.etc.etc.? Why would 5.0 mustangs be legal to supercharge and drive daily? Em1's with turbo kits? All that legal and your exhaust illegal? negative.

I think the reason he got his friend to drop the ticket is because the cop that wrote it knew that it was straight b/s anyways and there was no way in hell it would stand up in court.
Old 10-13-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

DeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to allDeX is a name known to all

Originally Posted by firmhonda
I'm saying it's bullshit because I've lived in texas for damn near all my life and it's simply bullshit.

As long as you can pass inspection it's legal, and there's no documentation required for each individual aftermarket part to say that it is actually legal.. Basically, CARB is for cali, not texas. I'm not trying to be an *** or anything but he needs to fight this and he's a retard if he doesn't.

You can pass inspection with a stock exhaust and then bust out the straight catless 3 inch pipe afterwards and as long as your throw the stock exhaust when inspection time rolls back around you're good to go.
I managed to sift through your incompetence and figure out where the misunderstanding is. I'm talking about what's legal and you're talking about what he can get away with. Stop raising my insurance rates.
Old 10-13-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DeX
I managed to sift through your incompetence and figure out where the misunderstanding is. I'm talking about what's legal and you're talking about what he can get away with. Stop raising my insurance rates.
Aww, how cute.. You got a little upset.

1) How could I possibly raise your insurance rates when I haven't been in a single at fault accident nor do I have a single ticket on my record?

2) Obviously your incompetence has led you to not be able to understand my second paragraph. If you had the ability to comprehend you would have noticed that I said in the second paragraph that any modification is legal as long as you pass inspection with said modification.

In the third paragraph I noted a way around that law, but I did not in any way recommend it. The reasoning behind stating that was simply because the only way you can get flagged for having an illegal exhaust system is to drive by an emissions checkpoint, which are usually set up on the side of major highways. Police officers do not carry a test for exhausts nor do they request any kind of certification showing that the system is in compliance with emissions standards in Texas.

So, in reply I revert back to my original statement. Carb certification is for California, not Texas. There are no specific limits on the aftermarket parts that you can install on your car as long as they comply with the emissions standards.

BTW, I stated that I wasn’t meaning to be an *** for a reason, I seriously wasn’t. I just know the laws here (here, implying that I actually live in the same state as OP whereas you live 4 states away) and have had this conversation with different officials more than once because I was simply curious about the laws.
Old 10-13-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

Looks like I'm the only one that took the time to look it up.

§ 547.605. EMISSION SYSTEMS REQUIRED.
(a) The engine and power mechanism of a motor vehicle shall be equipped and adjusted to prevent the escape of excessive smoke or fumes.
(b) A motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, of a model year after 1967, shall be equipped to prevent the discharge of crankcase emissions into the ambient atmosphere.
(c) The owner or operator of a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, of a model year after 1967, that is equipped with an exhaust emission system:
(1) shall maintain the system in good working condition;
(2) shall use the system when the motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine is operated; and
(3) may not remove the system or a part of the system or intentionally make the system inoperable in this state, unless the owner or operator removes the system or part to install another
system or part intended to be equally effective in reducing atmospheric emissions.
(d) Except when travel conditions require the downshifting or use of lower gears to maintain reasonable momentum, a person commits an offense if the person operates, or as an owner knowingly permits another person to operate, a vehicle that emits:
(1) visible smoke for 10 seconds or longer; or
(2) visible smoke that remains suspended in the air for 10 seconds or longer before fully dissipating.
(e) An offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $1 and not more than $350 for each violation. If a person has previously been convicted of an offense under this section, an offense under this section is a misdemeanor punishable by a fine of not less than $200 and not more than $1,000 for each violation.

Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995. Amended by Acts 2001, 77th Leg., ch. 1075, § 6, eff. Sept. 1, 2001.
Old 10-13-2007
Registered!!

Thanks for looking that up, seriously.

My whole purpose in posting in this thread was to educate OP and let him know that he seriously got a bogus ticket and then was fed a bunch of b/s by a local sheriff.

Aftermarket exhaust systems are 100% legal as long as they pass inspection (which entails emissions testing) after the part is installed. To the best of my knowledge the Greddy EVO2 is a catback exhaust system (and might be carb certified, which means that it doesn't allow excessive escape of unwanted emissions), which means that it will free up some backpressure but will still allow the catalytic converter to do its job. This means that unless there is more to the story (the car is a junker and smokes) the cop had no basis to write OP a ticket and he should be aware of this.

The only other catch that wasn't listed is the fact that exhausts that are too loud can be considered noise pollution and you can be ticketed for that, but it wouldn't be a ticket for aftermarket exhaust as much as it would be a ticket for making excessive noise after a certain time.

Repped for taking the time to look that up.

Last edited by firmhonda; 10-13-2007 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-14-2007
This is Myspace

DsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to beholdDsevenEm2 is a splendid one to behold

wow u really get upset when u get in an argument dont u.. chill man..its ok..
Old 10-14-2007
Registered!!

Ha, nah man.. I'm not upset at all... I'm just a pro at ranting. It's a gift from god that has kept me from failing an essay at any point in time in my life.

I was serious man, I really appreciated DeX looking that up, I wasn't trying to be a smartass.
Old 10-15-2007

....firm>dex
Old 10-15-2007
DeX
Canadian, Eh!

I get grumpy when I'm stressed out, especially after spending any amount of time on the roads here. I need time to relax prior to posting on forums.
Old 10-16-2007
Registered!!

Originally Posted by DeX
I get grumpy when I'm stressed out, especially after spending any amount of time on the roads here. I need time to relax prior to posting on forums.
lol.. I feel you man. I've been doing a lot of ranting on forums here lately because I've got a mid term this week that I'm stressed to hell about.. It doesn't help that my cat is in heat and spending the entire night walking around sounding like a horny chewbacca.
Old 10-22-2007
Pinkslip Racer

karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough

where i live, we got the most retarded laws for modified cars, the one on exhaust being:

it cant be louder than what the car came with stock....

which is retarded. how come harleys can get away with their loud ****, and our cars cant