Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

When should Radiator Fan kick on?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CincyBlck2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
When should Radiator Fan kick on?

I know this might seem like a strange question... But I have had this problem that seems to be inconsistent.. Air is getting into my coolant system and causing the level in my reservior to rise... Now, the radiator, thermostat, rad cap have been replaced and it seems to be the head gasket, you'll prob notice I have a post asking about people's experiences when doing that... I knwo both my fan motors work... but I noticed in the garage that if I have the car idling, the temp guage never gets above half, but the fan never kicks on... now, If I turn on the AC, as soon as I hit the ac button, both fans on the radiator kick on at the exact same time... does that make sense?? I realize there are times when both may need to be running at the same time... but the rad fan I thought should kick in sometimes, but then again, if my temp isn't going above half on the dash guage, then maybe it's not needed... Any input is appreciated... Thanks...
Old 05-04-2007
The only Wyoming Redneck on here

2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough2002civicLX2002 will become famous soon enough
Re: When should Radiator Fan kick on?

i dont know the exact answer to this. but i do know that at idle your engine isnt getting hot enough to use the fans, especially if you just start it up and let it idle. im assuming both fans should kick on at the same time that makes sence to me. but wait for someone else to give you a better answer as i dont know the exact answer.
Old 05-04-2007
Registered!!

CincyBlck2k1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the reply... yeah, it might not be getting hot enough... I have given it more throttle via the throttle body and held it prob at about 3k for 20 seconds trying to get it to kick on.. The car has never overheated, I am just double checking this before I proceed to replace the headgasket...
Old 05-04-2007
Feel safe at night, sleep with a paramedic.

AmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond reputeAmbulanceMonkee has a reputation beyond repute

i'd have to check mine, but i would say it's normal for the fans to come on with the ac. as for them not coming on when it idles, i wouldn't worry too much about that until the temp guage shows it being really warm. my temp guage has to get to about halfway for the fans to kick on, too.
Old 05-04-2007
Registered!!

Syke Fu will become famous soon enough

If your car is just started and it idles for awhile, it will take some time for the fans to kick in. Now when you start driving it they will come on more often, like if your stuck in traffic or alot of stop and go stuff. As for the AC, the rad fans will come on about twice as much cause the engine is under more of a load.