Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

New ECM = Progam Keys?

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bellabri287 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question New ECM = Progam Keys?

I just got the code p1607 cleared at the dealer. They put in a new ECM. (Thank god for an extended warant.) They called me and told me they needed all of my keys to re-progam them. I had one with me and had no way to get it to them and they the other 2. They re-programed the 2 they had and cut a new one to replace the one I had that woldnt be re-programed. The new key is really stiff in all my locks and ignition but it works, as well as the 2 re-programed keys work. Out of curiosity I used my old key that wasnt re-programed. I was expecting the car to not turn on, but it did. They old key works and nothing seems to be wrong.

Why did they have to re-porgam my keys? The old key seems to work just fine, is this a bad thing? Is it going to hurt the car if i use the old not re-programed key? I have no remotes or anything just keys with the black top on them.

Thank you for any clarification, Brianna
Old 12-06-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of lightbobsagator is a glorious beacon of light
From what I understand, they would be reprogramming your new ECU to recognize your key, not reprogram your key. The key has a chip in it that the ECU recognozes which disables the immobilizer. Theoretically, your old key should not start the car since the ECU wouldn't recognize the old key. The old key would still open the doors and trunk, and the little gas/trunk lever. If your old key works you should let them know because it sounds like your immobilizer isn't working properly.

The new keys will be stiff, especially in a 2002, since the key holes have been worn to match your old keys and now the new keys still have the sharp edges and a bit bigger than the old keys. Try squirting some WD40 into the lock holes, it should help. I don't know about the ignition though since there is a lot of electronics around the ignition, maybe someone can offer a better recommendation.