Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Hood Won't Open

Old 12-04-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ES2Slow4Me is an unknown quantity at this point
Hood Won't Open

I start my car this morning, it started fine. I go to leave, clutch in, put it in first, and....loose gas pedal. Yesterday I was messing with the throttle cable to tighten it. I get distracted and close the hood. No problem, It's progagly just too loose or it disconnected. So i pop the hood to take a look and i hear a "BING", and nothing. I'm assuming that the spring in the latch broke. It's fixable, i'm sure, but not a huge deal, as it's going in for a lot of work soon, i'll just throw it on the bill to fix.

But I can't leave my house, because I can't get the hood open to fix the throttle cable. Any ideas as to how to get it open? Just long enough to fix the problem. The hood is loose, but because of the grille, i can't get a screwdriver in there to release the latch. My guess is that it's the top spring, because there is some give, but it's still stuck in there. I don't care about fixing the hood at the moment, I just want to know how I can get up in there to fix the cable. I can't cleanly remove the bumper, because the pegs are out of reach for the grille.

Do I have to force it? (Pry the grille from the bottom, away from the bumper? I would have a hole, but it's replaceable. If I get that loose, I'm still stuck witht he top connected under the hood. I don't want to tear anything apart. I need help ASAP. I've got a few minutes of light left, then i'm stuck using a flashlight until I get it. I dont' have a choice to but to get my car running before the morning. Any help is appriciated.
Old 12-04-2006
Go Team Venture!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
no you can not pry the grille off.. theres srsly like 328057208357 screws holding that thing in place...

if you have long skinny arms you can try jackin up the car and reaching it from the bottom... i think you are going to need a screwdriver...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...r/PA220027.jpg
it moves towards the drivers side..

if you dont have your radiator cover in place this can be done fairly easly... but... my guess is yer going to end up with a bloody knuckle and a long list of new swear words...
Old 12-05-2006
Registered!!

wow, i really am screwed, aren't I. There is no possible way to open the hood if the latch breaks?
Old 12-05-2006
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
Bend a wire coat hanger
use the hook end and slide it in between the hood and grille or light
start fishing around like your using a slim jim to open the door.
Old 12-05-2006
Registered!!

I'll give that a shot. I just woke up. I'm making a good breakfast before i get nice and pissed off at the car. Other suggestions appriciated.
Old 12-05-2006
Registered!!

got it. thanks.