Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission Issue During Cold Startup

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Espo is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission Issue During Cold Startup

This is a very strange issue that happens only if the car has been sitting for a while. It also only happens in cold winter weather and has never happened during the spring or summer time.

When the transmission is placed into drive it makes a hard bang and it takes a bit of gas to get the car moving. Once the car is in motion the transmission is totally fine and shifts smoothly. If I park the car for a short period of time the transmission engages smoothly. Only when parked for an extended period of time ie.over night, does the issue arise.

I have read a few other boards and it seems that various other Honda owners have had this problem. Im wondering if this is something I should worry about?
Old 11-27-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
have you checked your fluid level? it sounds as if the level is low.
Old 11-27-2006
Registered!!

Sorry, I should have mentioned I checked the fluid level and the fluid was replaced about 10,000k ago.
Old 11-27-2006
TURTLEonK

Nameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the rough
what kindve fluid did you use? OEM honda?
Old 11-27-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Nameless
what kindve fluid did you use? OEM honda?

Yep, OEM Honda.
Old 11-28-2006
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
What year ?? How many miles ?? How many tranny services have been done over the life of car ?? Have you contacted the dealer or Honda about this issue ??
Old 11-28-2006
Registered!!

Buds302 will become famous soon enough
how cold does it get when this happens? i had a 88 accord that did this. it turned out that the fluid just got cold and thickend up like normal motor oil does when its cold. causing the pressure to be really high in the tranny. therefore slamming the first gear. it was a common problem in the automatic honda transmission. ive met several people with the same problem
Old 11-28-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by CraigW
What year ?? How many miles ?? How many tranny services have been done over the life of car ?? Have you contacted the dealer or Honda about this issue ??
56,000miles
Tranny Flush @ 40,000miles

I havent spoken to the dealer about it yet.

Originally Posted by Buds302
How cold does it get when this happens?
Below 14F -10C
Old 11-28-2006
Go Team Venture!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
thats normal when its that cold... just baby your car till your engine warms up a bit.. dont rev the hell out of your car to get the temp up... just start it.. wait about 30 seconds.. put it in gear and drive off slowly.. take it nice and slow for the first few hundred yards.. if you park in a parking lot make a few laps and then hit the road.. after a mile or see your car should be warming up... once you see the temp gauge go up drive like normal...

cars are like people.. when its cold it takes a few minutes to get going...

the clunk is normal.. its due to your fluids being all sorts of cold.. they do make trannyfluid thats made for super cold temps.. however you dont really need it if you give your car a few minutes to warm up..