Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

broken exhaust mani bolt stuck in block. any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
boosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the rough
broken exhaust mani bolt stuck in block. any suggestions?

well i was running my car and all of a sudden it didnt really spool up the way it used to spool. i checked under the hood and both of the top turbo man bolts came off. like the head of the bolts got ripped off and half of the bolt still remained in the block so now i only have the 3 bottom bolts holding my turbo mani on... not to mention a HUGE exhaust leak. the t3 starts to feel spool at around 4200. any home remedies for this situation? obviously im looking not to spend money but if i have too i guess i will. im just tired of spending money on broken stuff when i could be spending that money on something else. thanks for any help guys.
Old 11-16-2006
Registered!!

nj_represent is an unknown quantity at this point
Damn, let me think. Take a picture.
Old 11-16-2006
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all
did the bolts snap off even with the mani flange or even with the block. you may be able to get some vise grips on them and get them out. or you're gonna have to drill. i've also heard of this special socket that basically tightens on a broken bolt to remove it. should be able to get it at sears. but that's only if some of the bolt is still exposed. good luck man, and take pics.

from the sounds of it though, you're gonna at least have to remove the turbo and mani to get in there and work.
Old 11-18-2006
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light
Yes removed the turbo and manifold and get some vise grips on there. Be careful not to snap off whatever you have left. I like to take a propane torch and heat up stubborn bolts and that usually works.
Old 11-18-2006
Registered!!

tuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to alltuningmycivic is a name known to all
^now correct me if i'm wrong...but wouldn't heating it make the metal of the bolt expand? in which case, it would simply be tighter? unless the head expands more than the bolt.....nvm...
Old 11-19-2006
Go Team Venture!
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
heating the bolt is half the job.. the real trick is cooling the bolt faster than the hole its stuck in (use ice and something other than yer hand to hold it with).. however this is mainly for stuck/rusted bolts... it sounds like you have more of a "my bolts are crap and they broke" deal..

you can also weld something onto the end of it if you have access to welding equiptment.. then you will have something to grab onto... however if you have welding stuff theres a really good chance you already know how to do all this.. so... my guess is scratch that

hardware stores sell broken bolt removal bits (you need a drill).. they are called "bolt out" or "drill out" or something like that.. some autopart stores also sell them...
Old 11-19-2006
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light
Doesn't sound like a drill would fit in there. You might have to remove the head.

But reading the original post over, it seems that the bolt may not be stuck. The big question is: Is there enough of the bolt left to grab onto?

Also, heating up the bolt does expand the bolt but also the material that it's screwed into. In this case you have a steel bolt in an aluminum head, I assume. The differing materials will expand and contract at different rates and hopefully break any bonding or galling of the parts. I did this most recently with a broken off brake bleeder screw. I just torched and and it came right out with the vise grips.

Good Luck.
Old 11-19-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Don't torch the bolts, you'll **** up the head. Uneven heating warps stuff, the head is designed so it expands evenly with the heat of the motor.
You can try and get lucky with the vise grips, if you get it to grab then you're good. If not you're more ****ed than when you started.
Vise grips is gonna be the only way you'll be able to do it with the head on the car safely. You can also try and quickly tackweld a nut on the end of the stub and back it out. Otherwise you're gonna have to pull the head and take it to a machine shop.

They snapped because of the weight of the turbo, you're gonna need to brace the turbo once you get the bolt situation fixed.
Old 11-20-2006
Go Team Venture!

againifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of lightagainifall is a glorious beacon of light
if you have a dremel you may also be able to "slot" the broken bolt so that you can use a screwdriver to remove it... you could also use a di grinder.. but umm.. make sure you know what yer doing first..

vice grips sounds like your best bet though
Old 11-20-2006
Premium Member

Rufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud ofRufus has much to be proud of
Thread a nut onto the end of it and tack weld it in the center. Remove it with a socket.
Old 11-22-2006
Registered!!

boosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the rough
sorry for the no show i forgot about this post. lol. well i go to school 5 days a week so i need the car running. i dont think the bolt is exposed and i doubt i will be able to get the vice grips on there. i dont understand how drilling the bolt will help, there will be a hole in the bolt then what next? i do have a dremel but i do not have access to welding materials. gearbox how would you brace the mani without it looking too ugly? il post pictures i guess with the bolts on the car (not recent) but i dont think that matters right?
Old 11-22-2006
Registered!!

the top right turbo mani bolt is gone :O and the top left bolt appears to be loose but when i try to tighten it it doesnt go anywhere, i am guessing the head of the bolt is ripped off as well but its just stuck there.

bump for some help!
thanks for all the help too guys! i repped everyone i could, i dont have enough rep power! rep me back please.

Last edited by caquinde; 11-22-2006 at 02:44 PM.
Old 11-22-2006
Go Team Venture!

drilling the bolt is not just to put a hole in it... well.. thats half of what it does..

the "bolt out" thing or whatever its called drills a hole in the broken bolt.. then theres another piece that you drill into the hole.. it then hooks to the inside of the bolt alowing you to unscrew it...

if you have a dremel... get out yer trusty lil "cut off wheel" (its black).. put one slot across the middle of the broken bolt.. then use a flathead screwdriver to remove it...

google will help you more with the details on everything

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search
Old 11-22-2006
Life Begins > 6800rpms

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
ive had this happen. except it was a lower manifold stud - youll need to use a drill out and get a new bolt to stick in there, which autozone sells.
Old 11-22-2006
Registered!!

sweet thanks againfall thats jsut what i needed. i dont think there is enough bolt out to dremel and unscrew it. so i can pick up the bolt out drill bit from any hardware store like home depot or whatever?
Old 11-22-2006
Registered!!

where the hell did you get that turbo manifold from?? that's gotta be the ugliest one yet....
Old 11-22-2006
Go Team Venture!

yeah i know home depot has them... ace hardware, lowes, ace hardware... and im pretty sure autozone, kregen, advanced, pepboys, napa or whatever should also have them...

the car places should also have the bolt.. if not theres always the dealership.. shot in the dark here but it might be a good idea to replace the other ones as well... just to be safe..

anyway.. theres a thousand different walkthroughs on google as to how to use whatever tool you end up getting... but do yourself a favor... just read the directions...
Old 11-27-2006
Registered!!

DowntownRicer is an unknown quantity at this point
honestly kid, your messing with your manifold and not only that but your block, id take it down to a shop and have them extract them as opposed to me doing it. The reason being is that if you mess it up, youll have to buy a new manifold or worse have to have someone redo your block so you can put the maifold back on, that is if the stupid bolt didnt end up in some fugly spot weild from uneven heating.

just my 2cents though.
Old 11-27-2006
Registered!!

lol tuningmyvic. whatever works right? at least i got boost i guess.. . i will try all the stuff you guys suggested this weekend thanks for all the help!

downtown ricer, how would i mess things up? the only way i see anyone messing up is if you dont know how to drill right and drilling is quite easy. no heat if you read any of the other posts.
Old 11-27-2006
Registered!!

DowntownRicer is an unknown quantity at this point
I'm not saying that you will mess something up, im just saying just make sure you understand what your getting yourself into tis all. You just dont want to turn a $50 dollar job into a $500 one.