Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Low beams don't work

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mudd is an unknown quantity at this point
Low beams don't work

Can anyone tell me what would cause, all of a sudden, on my 03 LX, the low beams to die. The fuses are all fine, the high beams work fine. I'm guessing either a bad relay, either under the hood or at the fuse box under the dash, or a bad headlight switch.

It happened as I was driving home, as was uninstigated. I was driving down the road with the lights on, and they just turned off. Anyone had this happen?
Old 10-29-2006
Registered!!

gstyle is an unknown quantity at this point
sounds like a fuse. Chances of both your lowbeams burning out at the same time is very unlikely
Old 10-29-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gstyle
sounds like a fuse. Chances of both your lowbeams burning out at the same time is very unlikely

Nope, as I said before, it's not a fuse. Besides, there's a different fuse for both the left and right beams. I checked them all just in case anyway, they all show 12 volts.
Old 10-30-2006
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
sounds like you just have both headlights burnt out. each headlight has its only relay and fuse. so if the highbeams work and lowbeams dont, that tells you the relay and fuse are both fine. pull both bulbs out and look at them. yes its unlikely that both fail at once, but it does happen.
it may also be the headlight switch, but I would try the easiest and cheapest first.
Old 10-30-2006
Registered!!

anarchy187 is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same thing happen to my car. I put new bulbs in and still it didnt work, and the fuses were all fine. The problem is the dimmer switch, the thing that turns the lights on and off. Call ur local Honda dealer and tell them whats wrong they well replace it for free, because it was recalled. Good luck
Old 10-30-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by anarchy187
I had the same thing happen to my car. I put new bulbs in and still it didnt work, and the fuses were all fine. The problem is the dimmer switch, the thing that turns the lights on and off. Call ur local Honda dealer and tell them whats wrong they well replace it for free, because it was recalled. Good luck
Replacing the headlight bulbs was the first thing I tried. No luck.

That's what I thought, the dimmer switch. That makes sense.

Thanks, I'll call the dealer.

Last edited by Mudd; 10-30-2006 at 09:44 AM.
Old 10-30-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
its prolly headlight switch theres a recall for them overheating for 01-02 civics.
Old 10-30-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
its prolly headlight switch theres a recall for them overheating for 01-02 civics.
Hmm, mine's an 03. I wonder if that still applies. I'll call the dealer.
Old 10-30-2006
Registered!!

Well, I called the dealer. It's not a recall on my car. Looks like I'm screwed and have to order it myself.
Old 10-30-2006
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
I would inspect Pin #6 = RED/WHT wire and look for signs of overheating.

The recall was for 01s and some 02s. If it shows signs of getting too hot I would complain to Honda. Although the parts are fairly priced IMO.

The OEM part # for the headlight switch = 35255-S5A-A02, MSRP = $28.97 (always cheaper online)

Use great caution when removing the column covers, The tabs on the lower cover are easily broken.
Old 10-30-2006
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
also be careful of airbag sensors and stuff. wouldnt want any accidents
Old 10-31-2006
Registered!!

Axe Man is an unknown quantity at this point
If you want the wiring diagram for the '03 headlights I have it. Send me an e-mail at mjats@juno.com.

From the symptoms you describe it does sound like a bad combination switch. Try this quick check:

Find a quiet area. Ignition off and key out. Turn on the low beams. You should hear the headlight relay click. No click? Try the high beams. You should now hear the relay click. If no click on low but click on high that's a good sign that the combo switch is toast. If you hear a click on low your problem lies somewhere else in the headlight circuit.
Old 11-02-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Axe Man
If you want the wiring diagram for the '03 headlights I have it. Send me an e-mail at mjats@juno.com.

From the symptoms you describe it does sound like a bad combination switch. Try this quick check:

Find a quiet area. Ignition off and key out. Turn on the low beams. You should hear the headlight relay click. No click? Try the high beams. You should now hear the relay click. If no click on low but click on high that's a good sign that the combo switch is toast. If you hear a click on low your problem lies somewhere else in the headlight circuit.
That's pretty much what I did, I looked for the relay to click over. I then metered the outputs on the switch, compared with the wiring diagram I had, and had no output out of the low beam headlight wire. So I replaced the headlight switch, and lo and behold, that fixed it.

So to wrap this up (for the archives). I had no low beams headlights. The fuses were all good, and bulbs were replaced. It was the headlight switch, which I bought for about $45 from my Honda dealer and replaced it. It was a 10 minute job, and works perfectly now.

Thanks for the help!
Old 04-22-2007
Registered!!

Physpher is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Low beams don't work

i have this problem now too. i hit the headlight though and it turns on. no rust anywhere and the bulbs have been replace with 3 different brands. i cant figure it out. i cant see a relay as the problem since they are a foot and a half away and are not close enough to be effected by the vibration.

(if it doesnt work, use a bigger hammer)
Old 04-22-2007
Premium Member

Re: Low beams don't work

seems like a bad connection to the bulb. did you check the plug connector? it should be clean and have grease all over the holes.
Old 05-18-2007
Registered!!

cmac187 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Re: Low beams don't work

i had the same problem, check the connection of your headlight switch see if its burn. they had a recall on the switch the wires over heat.