Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

why not automatic????

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
type-r is an unknown quantity at this point
why not automatic????

i have a 2004 em2 dx vp(value package) and its a automatic. now everybody i see now has a stick.why. i mean shouldnt a auto be faster since you dont have to take time to shift? why do people like manuals better. do they think its cooler or its faster. please help me somebody.and is it possible to turbo a auto em2 and it not break. any help would help.ant pictures of autos will help me feel better
Old 10-14-2006
7thgen Terminator Ninja

booba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to beholdbooba5185 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by type-r
i have a 2004 em2 dx vp(value package) and its a automatic. now everybody i see now has a stick.why. i mean shouldnt a auto be faster since you dont have to take time to shift? why do people like manuals better. do they think its cooler or its faster. please help me somebody.and is it possible to turbo a auto em2 and it not break. any help would help.ant pictures of autos will help me feel better
this has been covered more times than i cant count, search for auto vs. manual
Old 10-14-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
most auto breaks in 50-100k miles. garbage
Old 10-14-2006
Registered!!

ricergribbs is an unknown quantity at this point
seriously? welp, that'll be just another reason for a manual swap when it does...
Old 10-14-2006
Registered!!

mr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the roughmr_fobster is a jewel in the rough
well the one main reason to get a manual is just becuase you can control the shift points of the car ALOT better. with the auto trannys you cant really control when you shift to the next gear. also if you autocross the car downshifting will be a problem because when youbrake with a auto you usually downshift to second or first gear.

no with sportshift and tiptronic thats a different subject.
Old 10-14-2006
Registered!!

ricergribbs is an unknown quantity at this point
how's about the aditional power lost through the torque converter?
Old 10-14-2006
Banned

I <3 1000grid is an unknown quantity at this point
You cannot choose when you shift.
Old 10-14-2006
Registered!!

30seconds is a glorious beacon of light30seconds is a glorious beacon of light30seconds is a glorious beacon of light30seconds is a glorious beacon of light30seconds is a glorious beacon of light30seconds is a glorious beacon of light
yes you can boost it....many have
Old 10-15-2006
Pinkslip Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
karizzle will become famous soon enoughkarizzle will become famous soon enough
Boost = Better for automatic because you don't have to let go of the pedal, therefore the turbo doesn't have to re-spool (or so ive heard...)

Manual IS faster than automatic because is has less to go through (tranny wise) before the power is put to the wheels, less power is lost to move the car with a manual tranny

Yes, it is cooler

And manual is a lot better than automatic especially if you're doing a track. Let's say for example, you're taking a long turn in an automatic at 60kmh, with auto, the car will shift so you will be able to cruise around the turn

With manual, in the same situation, you can stay in gear, in your powerband and give the most acceleration comming out of the turn
Old 10-15-2006
Registered!!

Boost_Junkie has a spectacular aura aboutBoost_Junkie has a spectacular aura aboutBoost_Junkie has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by karizzle
Boost = Better for automatic because you don't have to let go of the pedal, therefore the turbo doesn't have to re-spool (or so ive heard...)

kinda true but not really...if your dd you might fall out of your power band if you shift early...but in a race taking it to right before redline and shifting, youll never fall out of the power band and the turbo will not stop spooling
Old 10-15-2006
BLDNPSI Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Boost_Junkie
kinda true but not really...if your dd you might fall out of your power band if you shift early...but in a race taking it to right before redline and shifting, youll never fall out of the power band and the turbo will not stop spooling
huh?
Old 10-16-2006
Registered!!

type-r is an unknown quantity at this point
shouldnt they be quicker since they dont have to take time for you to shift it
Old 10-16-2006
Banned

I <3 1000grid is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by type-r
shouldnt they be quicker since they dont have to take time for you to shift it
Like I said before, you can shift faster in a manual and also you can choose to shift when you want, meaning you can get higher RPMs, plus they have less horsepower, which means slower.
Old 10-16-2006
Registered!!

boosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the roughboosted.es2 is a jewel in the rough
gear ratios. enough said.