Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Brake System problem = Check engine Light

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Protean is an unknown quantity at this point
Brake System problem = Check engine Light

Zup guys, I'm new...well not actually i have been coming here for more than 3months but now dicided to join..

Well My problem is this...this all started 2months ago but it got worse this month. My brakes were getting stuck after I have been using the car for around 15min, and the brake pedal when up and it got hard( kinda when u turn off the car and push the pedal down it gets hard.)

Well i had to stop because i was forcing the engine to much, well when i stoped..smoked came out of the brakes duhh. Well my friends helped me put new brakes.when my friend was changing the brakes, one of the calipers was really hard to push in to make way for the brakes, he had to disconnect one of the hose to the calipers so the cylinder would go in...the other calipers was less harder but still.

Brand new brakes.. after a while it resulted in the same problem, but this time the brakes didnt lock up entirely.. i just had to pump the brakes 3 times and it worked, we went to miami all the way from Louisiana(Baton Rouge) It didn;t gave to much problem until we almost got there. Brakes lock up... OOO also we put in a New A/C system in the car.

Well when I was in miami, i was going to the freeway and my car brakes lock up again.. I put it into D3 then i was still losing speed put into 2..(I couldn't go anywere there wasn't an emergency lane becuase there was some construction going on) well I had the A/C on high,was in 2 gear and my speed was 45mph...out of know were the check engine light comes on.. I start lossing engine power,RPM started to drop...Sh@t. Infron of me i saw the emergency lane.. i just made it in time. I turned of the engine and waited 20min...I checked everything nothing was wrong..brakes weren't smoking but they were stuck..well I turned the car and the engine light turned off, and i started the car.. moved the car everything went fine... Well I took it to a mechanic, they change the calipers and everything was fine.

Well we came to Baton Rouge,LA fine. Until today.. I added some FP60 from lubecontrol, 3oz i added to 7gal. Im going on the street after 15min i added PF60, had my A/C on high.. well my brakes started to lock up and check engine light came on,lost power. I parked....open the hood and the headers were Bright Red(HOT) I let the engine cool down. And this is were I am at right now... O I just remember one of my friends(idiot) told me he had put the wrong liquid. Instead of putting brake fluid he put power stearing fluid in to the brake fluid... He then told me after he found out he did that he change it and put the correct fluid , but that was after a month after he found out he did it wrong... so maybe thats the main problem. Sorry guys for the long Post. Thanks You.

Last edited by Protean; 06-27-2006 at 10:36 PM.
Old 06-27-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Have the entire brake system solvent flushed and then put new brake fluid back in. I'm not sure what the boiling point of powersteering fluid is, but it sounds like it was expanding as it heated up. The fluid itself shouldn't hurt the system since it is hydraulic fluid, much like brake fluid. The ONLY other thing I can think of is an ABS problem if you have it.
Have it SOLVENT flushed first to get any trace of the old fluid out first, and go from there. A GOOD brake shop can do this.
Old 06-28-2006
Registered!!

Protean is an unknown quantity at this point
I turned on the car this morning and the check engine light was on. Took it to the mechanic, the put in the computer, they said it said that the car is fine, that i can drive it. When i left the shop the light turned off so I don't know whats wrong, I also forgot to mention that when the mechanics change the calipers they flushed the Brake system, the mechanic told me it had oil on the Brake system. So I don't know, I know something is wrong. I'll take it to the mechanic and tell them if they can do a solvent flush. Thanks tinman