Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Keyless Entry Question...Need some Imput.

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2006
Don't be a n00b, search ftw
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
Keyless Entry Question...Need some Imput.

Okay, here's teh problemo. My car is a 2001 Ex. I know it came factory equipped with Keyless Entry. I bought it used...And it didn't come with any FOB's at all. Will the programming method work even though I don't have a single one that actually came with the car? Much searching and no answers...
Old 02-24-2006
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tacheon is on a distinguished road
I'm not sure what you're asking. You don't need an existing fob to program new ones.
Old 02-25-2006

01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future01HonderCivic has a brilliant future
What I'm asking is do I need one that actually came with the car and was programmed for the car beforehand to start the programming.
But you answered that, so thanks man. Now I can go and grab one off of ebay

Last edited by 01HonderCivic; 02-25-2006 at 12:09 AM.
Old 02-26-2006
Banned

spoonJDMlX is an unknown quantity at this point
dude goto honda and ask them to do whatever you need, is it that hard? its a damn key not a transmission
Old 02-26-2006

First off, It's not a key, it's the Keyless remote.
Second, Yeah it is, It's an hour's drive to the nearest dealership.

All I asked was if you needed the original transmitter to help program the new one. I didn't ask one damn person HOW to do anything.
And I thought the point of this site was to NOT have to ask Honda and Do It Yourself...Or was I wrong in this assumption?

Last edited by 01HonderCivic; 02-26-2006 at 07:32 PM.
Old 03-03-2006
Registered!!

Ricky is an unknown quantity at this point
yah your right all you have to do is get one new or a good transmitter and just program it yourself . it's pretty easy but for some reason when i when to honda they couldn't program it and made a BS excuses why they couldn't do because of my aftermarket stuff .. but i manage to program it myself
Old 03-03-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
How do you program it yourself?
Old 03-04-2006
Banned

spoonJDMlX is an unknown quantity at this point
you can't. dealer has to do it...i think they do seomthing wit the ECU or something to get the #s into the key........paid 80bux for 3 spares @ honda dealer.
Old 03-04-2006
Registered!!

Leadfinger is an unknown quantity at this point
I think you can

Originally Posted by 01HonderCivic
Will the programming method work even though I don't have a single one that actually came with the car? Much searching and no answers...
01HonderCivic,

I just did a DIY that allows you to use the fob-head keys from a CR-V or Accord with a Civic. This involved installing a keyless entry receiver module from a CR-V in place of the Civic's. The receiver kit I bought also came with two new remotes, however when I went to program them, I was able to enter the programming mode using a fob-head key I had bought off of eBay. As far as I know, the Civic and CR-V keyless entry receivers are identical except for the frequency that they operate on, plus the extra channel for the tailgate glass on the CR-V. (I may try rigging this up to a trunk popper someday.)

Based on this, I would think that you can program remotes to work with your car without having one of the original ones.

What I'm pretty sure that you cannot do is if you have a remote lost/stolen and you want to make sure that remote can't open your car anymore, you need to take the car into the dealer to have things reprogrammed. I bet there's ways around this too though.

Hope this helps, and please let us know if it works or not.

Last edited by Leadfinger; 03-04-2006 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-04-2006
Registered!!

Ricky is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=250149do this ..try take your friends remote and try program it to your car that why i think honda wants us to bring the remote and the car so they make money..

Last edited by Ricky; 03-04-2006 at 06:51 PM.
Old 03-05-2006

The reason I asked in the first place, was that since I don't have the original remote, I don't know the FCC ID of my transmitter. From searching, it looks as if there's only one FCC ID for the remotes that came with 7th gen civics, but I wasn't sure. I didn't want to dump money into a brand spankin' new remote and not have it work. I know it's only 30 bucks, but it's still 30 bucks that i'd have to recover by selling it over again. Perhaps some of you fellas could get some FCC ID's from your 7th gens and see if there's any differences?

BTW Leadfinger, I saw your DIY on that. I didn't think it would be that great of a mod, but then I saw one of those sidewinder keys for myself, and I wouldn't mind having one. Or even having one like the Audis and VW's have (Switchblade type keys). But for now I think I'd rather try getting this to work.

Last edited by 01HonderCivic; 03-05-2006 at 07:05 PM.
Old 03-05-2006
Registered!!

01HonderCivic,

I still have my stock remote and receiver. Here's their info:

Remote:
P/N: 38010-S5A-A
FCC ID: NHVWB1U521

Receiver:
P/N: 38385-S5A-A
FCC ID: NHVWD1U521

If you're interested in buying my old remote send me a PM and let's see if we can work something out. If you take apart your dash and confirm your receiver has the same FCC ID, then you could be certain that it would work.
Old 03-06-2006

I'll pull that apart tomorrow morning. Once I cross-reference that, I'll give you a PM...either that or bump this and get some more FCC ID's from some more people.
Old 03-06-2006
Registered!!

inthenameofweez is an unknown quantity at this point
My P/N set is the exact same.
The FCC ID is off by one number (the last one)
Assuming both of you guys have an 01, it will work.
Mine says: NHVWB1U523
I'm assuming the last number is referance to the year of the car.
They should be interchangable. The bigger question is, will a remote for an 03 work on an 01 reciever?
Old 04-23-2014
Registered!!

Thaik will become famous soon enoughThaik will become famous soon enough
Re: Keyless Entry Question...Need some Imput.

Originally Posted by Leadfinger
01HonderCivic,

I still have my stock remote and receiver. Here's their info:

Remote:
P/N: 38010-S5A-A

Receiver:

If you're interested in buying my old remote send me a PM and let's see if we can work something out. If you take apart your dash and confirm your receiver has the same FCC ID, then you could be certain that it would work.
I know this is an old thread, but I can see that the receiver and remote doesn't have the same FCC ID, one has a D and the other has a B.

Still, you're saying these used to be working together?

Thanks
Old 04-26-2014
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Thaik
I know this is an old thread, but I can see that the receiver and remote doesn't have the same FCC ID, one has a D and the other has a B.

Still, you're saying these used to be working together?

Thanks
Thaik,

Would you believe that after 8 years and a move halfway across the country, I happen to stumble on the same remote and receiver while cleaning my garage today? I'm looking at the backs of the parts right now and can confirm the only difference in the FCC IDs is the B vs. D that you mention.

Yes, these parts used to be working together.

Leadfinger
Old 04-26-2014
*watches temp gauge like a hawkboss* :D

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
kinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of lightkinakoes2 is a glorious beacon of light

Just to share some info I've learned...

So, there's a way to program and cut the switchblade-style keys from an Acura TL, to work with a 7th-gen Civic... but it's not a plug-n-play, I've learned. However... the keyless entry and immobilizer functions in the keys don't have anything to do with each other -- you can still program a Type IV (OMRON) fob to open the doors on a Type III (ALPS) transceiver-equipped car. The only real distinction between Types III and IV, have to do with the immobilizer chip tech, not the keyless entry part.

Thus, IINM, the FCC ID isn't really helpful in figuring out what fob to get; it's easier to just look at the manufacturer on the back of the fob (OMRON IV or ALPS III). There are Element owners with Type III systems that currently use '07 Acura TL Type IV switchblade fobs to open their doors and start their vehicles, though it does take some surgery. The keyless entry bit can be programmed for five fobs in mere minutes, and you can easily do so yourself, no dealer required.
Old 04-26-2014
Registered!!

Thaik,

Would you believe that after 8 years and a move halfway across the country, I happen to stumble on the same remote and receiver while cleaning my garage today? I'm looking at the backs of the parts right now and can confirm the only difference in the FCC IDs is the B vs. D that you mention.

Yes, these parts used to be working together.

Leadfinger
Hey man thanks for answering so quickly, considering it has been 8 years!

At first, I was beginning what you said was sarcasm, but it truly seems to be true and it's a good thing! For me!

You found both the remote and receiver while cleaning? You found the receiver or did you find it inside the car? xD Just curious. Unless you removed it somehow... You still have your Civic after 8 years by the way?

Anyways, I was asking this because I picked up a receiver from a scrap yard for few bucks and intended on wiring it in my car (2004 Civic DX-SE), it has power locks and I can see the 2-pin plug ready for the discontinued Keyless receiver and plug in wire harness.

The receiver, as you might guess has these number as the back:
Receiver:
CANADA: 3495 102 1850A

I'm from Canada, so I thought the receiver I picked up was a Canadian part which explains the D instead of the B in the FCC ID. But then I saw your post and I assume you're from US?

I'm doing these research because I'm looking for a used remote on Ebay but all of the FCC ID I see on ebay are NHVWB1U521/NHVWB1U523. Thinking my receiver would only work if the FCC ID are exactly the same, I thought all hope was lost until I saw your post.

So once again, you can confirm that both the FCC ID on your remote and receiver are different but they were working perfectly together? Are they still working together or did you sell the car already?

Thanks man! I'm really hoping I can make it work!
Old 04-27-2014
Registered!!

Nope, no sarcasm intended at all. When I replaced the receiver and remote with those for a CR-V to be able to use the fob-head style key, I never threw away the old parts, so they just ended up living in that little box of junk that you have in your garage.

Yeah, I still have my Civic (it's an EX sedan). I bought it new in January 2001, so it's 13 years old now, has 206,000 miles on it, but is still doing OK.

The P/N, FCC ID and CANADA numbers you listed for the receiver you pulled from a junkyard match the numbers on my old stock receiver. (I am in the US as you guessed by the way.)

Here are all the numbers from my old remote:
P/N SET: 38010-S5A-A, Tx: 72147-S5A-A
CANADA: 3495 102 1850

I don't know what, if any, actual differences there are between the NHVWB1U521 and NHVWB1U523 remotes. I can only tell you that the former is what my remote has. I don't know if the NHVWB1U523 remote is compatible with a NHVWD1U521 receiver. If I were you I'd play it safe and get a NHVWB1U521 remote.

Good luck!
Old 04-27-2014
Registered!!

Nope, no sarcasm intended at all. When I replaced the receiver and remote with those for a CR-V to be able to use the fob-head style key, I never threw away the old parts, so they just ended up living in that little box of junk that you have in your garage.

Yeah, I still have my Civic (it's an EX sedan). I bought it new in January 2001, so it's 13 years old now, has 206,000 miles on it, but is still doing OK.

The P/N, FCC ID and CANADA numbers you listed for the receiver you pulled from a junkyard match the numbers on my old stock receiver. (I am in the US as you guessed by the way.)

Here are all the numbers from my old remote:
P/N SET: 38010-S5A-A, Tx: 72147-S5A-A
CANADA: 3495 102 1850

I don't know what, if any, actual differences there are between the NHVWB1U521 and NHVWB1U523 remotes. I can only tell you that the former is what my remote has. I don't know if the NHVWB1U523 remote is compatible with a NHVWD1U521 receiver. If I were you I'd play it safe and get a NHVWB1U521 remote.

Good luck!
Hey thanks mate!
Very appreciated.

Woah, I didn't know you could do that, replace the old receiver with a CR-V one to be able to use a CR-V key with integrated remote inside.

How did you do it? I'm curious
Simply replaced it, swap it, plug and play? Or did you do some wire stripping and splicing?

But I guess that would cost a bit more, since you would have to buy another key and reprogram it at the dealership for the immobilizer.

Am I wrong?

Anyway, just being curious, still gonna stick with the old key less remote style.

**Edited:
Hey nevermind, I found it! The DIY guide XD.

Last edited by Thaik; 04-27-2014 at 01:00 PM. Reason: DIY article found