DIY: Upgrading stock keyless entry to Accord / CR-V style fob-head key

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
seattlex19 will become famous soon enoughseattlex19 will become famous soon enough
Well it worked for me, and I am loving it! I'm very glad to hear it is working for others as well
Old 10-20-2005
Registered!!

seattlex19 will become famous soon enoughseattlex19 will become famous soon enough
No EL Owners With A Wiring Diagram Yet, Eh??
Old 10-23-2005
Registered!!

Wanted to add a quick note about the Accord trunk release mechanism, as mentioned in the trunk popper DIY, the one you want is actually the 2001 (2 or 4 door the part is the same) part number 08E49-S84-101H. This newer one has the glow in the dark inside release button whereas the older '98+ ones don't.
Old 10-26-2005
Registered!!

I seem to be on a roll here, where's our EL owners?? It is time to help a brother out!!

I just installed my Accord trunk latch, it could not have been easier. Bolted right up, the trunk pin is plug & play, the release cable had to be rerouted a bit so as to come down from the center as opposed to in from the side, but even that was very simple.

Now I'm all set to run the blue wire up front to wherever the relay is supposed to live, and wire it to wherever it's supposed to go - don't tell me I'm going to have to go buy Acura EL wiring diagrams to do this! Someone in the know pipe up would be nice!

On another money saving note: I've recently discovered that the CR-V receiver 38385-S9A-A01 can be purchased CHEAPER if you buy it as part of the whole keyless entry accessory package! Odd that you can get the receiver PLUS two standard fob remotes for roughly half ( ! ) the cost the dealer charges JUST for the receiver!

So look for the CR-V keyless entry kit part number 08E60-S9A-100 and just keep the new standard remotes as spares (since your old remotes will no longer work) or better yet sell all your standard remotes off on ebay to recoup some of the cost of the fobhead key

Last edited by seattlex19; 10-27-2005 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-27-2005
Registered!!

Well hell while I'm here posting updates by myself (anyone wanna talk? lol) I might as well add that I've also just put a factory Civic security module in and determined that it and the CR-V receiver get along fine - everything functions exactly as it should.

Now just figure out the one wire needed for the Accord trunk popper to splice into this factory system and the whole nine yards will be done!

I'll keep you posted if I have to break down and go to Canada soon and look in a damn EL myself! (Hopefully some kind hearted EL owner will pipe up before it comes to that!!)

Old 10-27-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Do you know what the first year was this option was available ?? I have access to a website at our library (and you may have also) The latest wiring last time I checked was 03. I would be glad to check it for you.

You would also need to let me know what makes and models to look up.
Old 10-27-2005
Registered!!

chrisvdm is an unknown quantity at this point
This thread is something you might want to look at:
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=60136
Old 10-28-2005
Registered!!

Hi Chrisvdm, thanks for the tip, but I've already read all those threads and none of them address the info we are seeking in this case. All the successful Accord trunk latch mods people have been doing are being actuated by some aftermarket car alarm unit. What we are attempting to do here instead is (since the CR-V keyless system does have a rear hatch release channel) to wire the Accord trunk release directly into the FACTORY system, thereby allowing the trunk button on the fobhead key to function. I do believe it can be done, at this point the only apparent obstacle remaining is just to figure out where that blue wire (or more likely the relay we would attach it to) needs to get its actuation signal from, or to put it another way, when we press the trunk button on the fobhead key, and the CR-V unit sends the trunk release signal down the wire, what is/are the next things in the factory circuit between that point and the trunk release mechanism...

CraigW, are you offering to look us up the Acura EL wiring? That's what we really need to see I think. Didn't all ELs come stock with keyless entry that had a remote trunk release? I don't know. I do know that since our "test Civic" (my car) is an '04, our best bet would probably be to look at the wiring for an '04 EL, however, I would take any clue at this point. If all I could get was for an '01-'03 I would bet it would probably be similar enough to be of value...
Old 10-28-2005
Registered!!

Here's another thought, considering the (electrical at least) similarities of the Civic and the CR-V, if we can not get the info on an Acura EL (which would be ideal) then maybe as an alternate plan we could also look to the '04-'05 CR-V schematics to trace where its keyless receiver's trunk signal goes before it reaches the rear hatch. In this case keep in mind the CR-V has two different things going on in back, the tailgate, and the flip-up glass hatch. The tailgate is just lock/unlock pretty much like the passenger door. It would be the wiring for the glass hatch we would want to look into, as that is the one the trunk button opens
Old 10-31-2005
Registered!!

sasquatch is an unknown quantity at this point
Great stuff...let us know...I'd totally be willing to do the swap w/the trunk popper
Old 11-08-2005
Registered!!

No news yet on leads from EL or CR-V eh?

Well one small step forward, I got my factory shop manual and at least it does indicate that the blue w/orange stripe wire (the signal wire) coming out of the receiver then heads into the "Multiplex Control Unit". One step closer to closing the trunk circuit, but lord only knows what happens in there.

I'll keep you posted when I get any further. I don't have a garage and weather has gone south for the winter here in Seattle, so it could be a while...
Old 11-09-2005
Registered!!

savedadogs is an unknown quantity at this point
Is there any place online that I can get the fob key? I am planning to buy the receiver kit (around $85.00).
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

skynet883 is an unknown quantity at this point
quesiton

hi, i looking online and with one parts guy at the dealer and he told me that "08E60-S9A-100" it's only the security system and that the reciver i am looking for it must be buy separedly, infact this unit is the same as the one offer to civic for the alarm.... is this true and/or can u help me out????
i got the trunk opener on my hand and i also waiting for your update on the remote trunk opener
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

Hi Skynet883, your parts guy has either made an honest mistake or he doesn't know what he's talking about. 08E60-S9A-100 is the CR-V KEYLESS ENTRY KIT and has nothing to do with the security system. The 08E60-S9A-100 keyless kit comes in a box which contains the CR-V keyless receiver you need which is stand-alone P/N 38385-S9A-A01 plus two standard (eg: just like the normal Civic ones but with a trunk channel) keyring remotes. It would not make much sense to order a keyless entry system that came with no receiver would it?

Savedadogs, I've looked at a few places online that offer Honda OEM Parts, such as hondaautomotiveparts.com and estore.honda.com and a few others, but most all of them seem (once shipping is added) more expensive than just going in person to whichever local dealer parts counter has the lowest price for it. If you're one who is doing the entire key shaft transplant as mentioned before then all you need is the fobhead transmitter, you can sometimes find pre-cut fobhead keys on ebay, and just toss the cut shaft. Be sure if you do buy a used key from ebay that the FCC ID is correct (OUCG8D-380H-A)

I am hoping if the weather holds, sometime this weekend to stick my head up behind the multiplex control unit in my girlfriend's CR-V and maybe find another clue about the trunk release wiring. We'll see...
Old 11-11-2005
Registered!!

One more thing about keys on ebay - a lot of the fobheads there are from foreign markets and are missing the panic button! Don't buy one of those lamers please, hold out for the right key

Also if you are buying a blank UNCUT key from ebay and you intend to use the shaft that comes on it, also verify that the shaft has an "F" stamped on it (CR-V, Civic) and NOT a "V" (Accord) or else you'll end up needlessly having to file the sides of the shaft down to fit your ignition. It can work, but why destroy the finish on your key and go to the extra effort when you could just get the right one to begin with?

I'll let you know when I make any new headway on the trunk...

Last edited by seattlex19; 11-11-2005 at 11:13 AM.
Old 01-02-2006
Registered!!

Happy New Year 2006 and a quick followup for anyone who might still be out there wondering where this was left off...

I've now been running the fobhead keyless system for some time and it's wonderful and working flawlessly. I still have not looked into wiring up the remote trunk release although everything is installed on the car. I'm not in a great big rush I guess, but come springtime, I will pick up on tearing into the multiplexer to see what can be done with the trunk release, whether it is even possible to splice into the stock trunk release signal etc.

In the meantime, if anyone else out there has done this, please do chime in!
Old 02-24-2006
Registered!!

Leadfinger is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Getting ready to do this DIY

I just bought a key on eBay in order to get ready to do this DIY. I really appreciate you taking the time to grab all those part numbers, FCC IDs and tips for doing this mod cheaply. I can't wait to get started.

Have you had any luck with the remote trunk release? I wonder if you couldn't just hook it up directly to the extra wire and see what happens?
Old 03-01-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
for the price its not a bad way to get a trunk popper on your car and have it clean and simple, does this work with the honda alarm? im guessing that would just need to be programmed into the key as well, can you just take the key into a honda dealership and have them cut and swap it out or does the whole car need to be there? because i would love to have a trunk opener
Old 03-01-2006
Premium Member

runner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to allrunner1738 is a name known to all
if people use the 98 accord one and have that put onto there alarm, then why cant they put it to a normal honda key as well? or honda be able to d oit as well
Old 03-02-2006
Registered!!

I'm almost finished with making my fob-head key. I used the same technique as seattlex19 did, using a steel impregnated epoxy putty to make a new head for the key shaft. That epoxy is quite possibly the weirdest substance I have ever encountered (in a fun and cool way).

I tried to use the same method to make a new hole and threads for the screw that holds the key head together, but it didn't work out for me. I might just glue it in and be done with it, on the other hand that would make it hard to change the battery for the remote.

I ordered the CRV keyless entry kit (p/n 08E60-S9A-100) from handa-accessories.com a few days ago for $85. (The best prices I could find for just the receiver were around $120, but I didn't look at the option of salvaging one from a junkyard.) The kit should arrive tomorrow, so hopefully I'll have it working this weekend.
Old 03-03-2006
Registered!!

I ended up superglueing the screw into the key to hold it together. My receiver kit came in today, managed to get it installed and the remotes programmed pretty easily. The hardest part was figuring out how to release the little locking tab on the Civic receiver so that I could pull it out.
Old 03-06-2006
Premium Member

so is anyone going to try hooking this up to a 98 accord trunk popper? or am i going to have to to the first? i mean if you can program the key, and you can program the 98 accord opener to an alarm then why not to the crv key, i dont know how to program keys but i dont see why it wouldnt work
Old 03-16-2006
<---- I am really this short in person!

fullgrown is an unknown quantity at this point
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/01-05...47335494QQrdZ1

saw this on ebay today... will this work?
Old 02-27-2007
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
sentbacktothesu is an unknown quantity at this point
the 03's have a sidewider too. its wierd. the 03's were like an overlap year. they had all the new stuff of an 04 but looked like an 02. alot of people i think confuse that. I love my '03 ex coupe.
Old 02-27-2007
Registered!!

DieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of lightDieMaster is a glorious beacon of light
the links no longer work. i know where the recever is. but i want a picture by picture DIY before i tear apart $65 keys.
Old 03-02-2007
djc
Registered!!

djc is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by sentbacktothesu
the 03's have a sidewider too. its wierd. the 03's were like an overlap year. they had all the new stuff of an 04 but looked like an 02. alot of people i think confuse that. I love my '03 ex coupe.
lol!
i too have an 03 ex coupe,
i was just gonna post about that(its also "F" stamped)
do you plan on doing this mod?
if so, let me know cause you're the guinea pig
Old 07-09-2009
Registered!!

brokedown711 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: DIY: Upgrading stock keyless entry to Accord / CR-V style fob-head key

Originally Posted by seattlex19

On another money saving note: I've recently discovered that the CR-V receiver 38385-S9A-A01 can be purchased CHEAPER if you buy it as part of the whole keyless entry accessory package! Odd that you can get the receiver PLUS two standard fob remotes for roughly half ( ! ) the cost the dealer charges JUST for the receiver!

So look for the CR-V keyless entry kit part number 08E60-S9A-100 and just keep the new standard remotes as spares (since your old remotes will no longer work) or better yet sell all your standard remotes off on ebay to recoup some of the cost of the fobhead key
PN# 08E60-S9A-100 is the keyless entry for a 2002-2004 CRV. The FCC ID: OUCG8D-344H-A , which will not work with the new fob/key combo as far as I know.
Old 04-27-2014
Registered!!

Thaik will become famous soon enoughThaik will become famous soon enough
Re: DIY: Upgrading stock keyless entry to Accord / CR-V style fob-head key

Originally Posted by seattlex19
I seem to be on a roll here, where's our EL owners?? It is time to help a brother out!!

I just installed my Accord trunk latch, it could not have been easier. Bolted right up, the trunk pin is plug & play, the release cable had to be rerouted a bit so as to come down from the center as opposed to in from the side, but even that was very simple.

Now I'm all set to run the blue wire up front to wherever the relay is supposed to live, and wire it to wherever it's supposed to go - don't tell me I'm going to have to go buy Acura EL wiring diagrams to do this! Someone in the know pipe up would be nice!

It's a shame it doesn't come with the extra wiring like the Civic Keyless entry accessory kit. If so, it may have been compatible with my car (04 Civic DX) instead of wiring the receiver directly into the existing wiring.

P.S: I know this is a very old thread, but I'm currently researching about installing an OEM keyless entry for my Civic, the OEM you had before installing your CRV kit. I have to do some wire splicing and soldering since the keyless wiring harness is discontinued.