Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

01+ Civic "Manufacturer" Steering DEFECT

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2006
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
gmcuajo can only hope to improve
Post 01+ Civic "Manufacturer" Steering DEFECT

Read it.
Its a problem that the manufacturer (Honda) should fix as a safety problem. Some laws exists; and the manufacturer have obligation to fix/replace parts that represents safety and malfunction risks.

As everybody know and can see in this and other forums the 7th generation civic (01-05) have a really bad steering and suspension system. Everybody are having problems with those systems components. But apparently, the 01 civic have a the most problem on it.

On the 01 civic the strut bearing (shock upper bearing, not the wheel bearing) is a plastic component and not a ball bearing as on the 02 and up civics. By common sense, a plastic bearing have more friction than a ball bearing. That more friction result in you have to apply more force on the steering wheel and even in all the steering components causing fast wear on the parts.

Another fact is when the wheel (and tire) hit on a hole the plastic bearing doesn't "resist" the impact (as a metal ball bearing can do). This result in fast wear and deformation to the part. By common sense a plastic bearing that you can easily bend with your hands (and isn't well engineered) can't support a 2500 pounds car hitting a hole at 60mph (120 mph speed limit).

When the bearing fails the wheels can't be turned as well and some times the spring seats hit (or scuff) the strut tower resulting in a non well steering at all (I am not saying it stick to the strut tower).

REAL PROOF AND FACTS:

As I mention, from the 2002, Honda "correct" that problem. The civics manufactured by Honda from the 2002 (all models) have different strut bearings. Instead of the plastic strut bearing they use a metal ball bearing, and therefore different strut parts (shock upper mount, rubber spring mount, spring seat, etc.).

ABOUT SECURITY:
Because of the problem described the 01 civic are having serious problem that involves security.
(I am having these problems, I know people who are having these problems, and in this and other forums a lot of people are having these problems with their cars):
-the steering wheel doesn't return to the center position when turn in any direction (not an alignment problem)
-fast wheels disalignment
-vibrations on the steering wheels
-sounds and clicks
-wear on bushings, rack & pinion and other components

Those problems can result in serious injuries and car accidents. (Everybody knows a faulty and defective steering system is a high risk of accident beacuse it affect the driveability of the vehicle.).

SOMETHING ABOUT LAWS
There are some laws that obligates a manufacturer (no matter of what is) to replace or repair a defective part (or thing), even more when if SAFETY is about.

I know posting this can have some controversy and some people will not be agree with me. But after make a lot of reasearch, see the part, open and disassemble it and analyze it I conclude this bearing, as well as some other parts have to be reviewed and replaced by the manufacturer, Honda.

"By common sense a plastic bearing that you can bend easily with your hands (and isn't well engineered) can't support a 2500 pounds car hitting a hole at 60mph (around 120 mph speed limit)."

NO MATTER YOU AGREED OR NOT, PLEASE REPLY WITH REAL FACTS OR COMMENTS. PLEASE DO NOT REPLY WITH STUPID OPINIONS. (for the paople who just know do that)

AND IF YOU ARE A HONDA SELLER, CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN, RELATED PEOPLE (of car bussiness), OR KNOW SOMETHING ABOUT LAWS DO YOUR OWN INVESTIGATION AND REPLY ABOUT WHAT CAR OWNERS CAN DO.

And about my credibility, I am a mechanical engineering student (4th year of 5). So I am not an expert, but know how to analyze and test a part, from the material involved up to its funtions and safety factors.
Old 02-08-2006
Registered!!

aliangwb is an unknown quantity at this point
I have exactly EXACTLY the same problem, and with the advice of a forum member, the car track better but still have the non-centering issue, sightly better in getting from premature wheel dis-alignment running over any small - medium size sewer cover and pot holes, bump steering over pot holes (if you will) etc. etc. The parts and labour to get to this point is around $1,000 which including replacing upper strut mount and strut bearing with new ones(2001 parts - so money wasted), neuspeed front upper strut bar and lower x brace, 6 - 8 alignments within 3-4 months period (40 + alignment within 4+ year period before the changes and during pot hole season). No to mention on snow/ice day, the car cannot go beyond 15 - 20 mph without sliding and bouncing out with the feeling you are on a gravel road with no suspension and tracking issue when I had the car for first couple of years, and in more than enough situations that could easily cause accidents particularly in winter.

If there is anything can be done about this, I am on board as I am royally pissed about their attitude towards civic owner safety. No recalls, no acknowledgement of anything is wrong. I could gather my complaints with the dealer for the first 2 -3 years and the bill for alignments.
Old 02-08-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Interesting. I'll have to look at this. I did notice lately that my Mom's 01 has gotten MUCH harder to turn compared to my 02. Also the A-arm bushings are shot ALREADY, and she just drives around town. An interim fix would be to use a heavy moly grease in the strut bearing, or upgrade to an 02.
Old 02-09-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by aliangwb

If there is anything can be done about this, I am on board as I am royally pissed about their attitude towards civic owner safety. No recalls, no acknowledgement of anything is wrong. I could gather my complaints with the dealer for the first 2 -3 years and the bill for alignments.
Searching on the WEB I found a goverment site and file a claim. NHTSA ODI: Office of Defect Investigation.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm

Insert the ODI Number: 10149834. Use that number and support it.
Enter some information:
-the actual vehicle milage
-faiulure milage
-part (front McPherson strut)
-if occur an accident
Old 02-09-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tinman
Interesting. I'll have to look at this. I did notice lately that my Mom's 01 has gotten MUCH harder to turn compared to my 02. Also the A-arm bushings are shot ALREADY, and she just drives around town. An interim fix would be to use a heavy moly grease in the strut bearing, or upgrade to an 02.
The beter is upgrade to an 02 parts, but a lot of parts and money. Strut upper seat, bump stop, rubber seat, bearing... plus the work.

Using different grease can cause more damage to the part. As the engine oil have different grades (ex. 10W 30, 10W 40, etc.) the grease have different too. Also, maybe that "moly grease" (I don't know what type of grease is) is for metal parts, not plastic parts.

To compare, just think in replace your engine oil with transmission oil.

If you think to use the grease, be carefull when taking the bearing appart not bend its edge. I use the old bearing to see what happen, and use a knife to disassemble it. Bend the edge just a little bit, but this will let dirt go into it.

Last edited by gmcuajo; 02-09-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-10-2006
Registered!!

familycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to allfamilycar is a name known to all
i have some problems with popping sounds when i turn the wheel. i also notice that even if i balance the wheels and get an alignment i still get a shimmy in my wheel. but the car holds an alignment pretty good. if its off its not by much. this is good to know i think ill go have honda take a look at the steering and strut berings

Last edited by familycar; 02-10-2006 at 11:52 AM.
Old 02-10-2006
Premium Member

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
Originally Posted by gmcuajo
The beter is upgrade to an 02 parts, but a lot of parts and money. Strut upper seat, bump stop, rubber seat, bearing... plus the work.

Using different grease can cause more damage to the part. As the engine oil have different grades (ex. 10W 30, 10W 40, etc.) the grease have different too. Also, maybe that "moly grease" (I don't know what type of grease is) is for metal parts, not plastic parts.

If you think to use the grease, be carefull when taking the bearing appart not bend its edge. I use the old bearing to see what happen, and use a knife to disassemble it. Bend the edge just a little bit, but this will let dirt go into it.

True. There are greases that don't damage rubber, etc. But I'm not new to this. Upgrading the suspension makes sense, and I'll probably do it when the struts need replacing. (soon)
Old 02-10-2006
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
"honda" and "defect" seem to go hand in hand these days
Old 02-10-2006
Premium Member

Originally Posted by gearbox
"honda" and "defect" seem to go hand in hand these days
Naaaaa...... it's just you.
Old 02-11-2006
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tinman
Upgrading the suspension makes sense, and I'll probably do it when the struts need replacing. (soon)
Replace with KYB.
Old 03-20-2006
Registered!!

GA_Teg is an unknown quantity at this point
Yeah I got 50k on my '02 and the struts are completely gone.