Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2006
Extreme Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ZSKCivic01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission Problem?

Hey everyone, I live in Houston, TX and I have a 2001 Civic EX Automatic. Recently, I guess since I got back from driving my Civic to and from Breckenridge, CO a couple of days ago, my car has been shaking violantly. This doesn't happen all the time, it usually does it right after I start it up and i'm in Park or Drive, or when i'm at a stop light. It feels like it is my Transmission or something. I say that because today when I was at a stop light and it turned green, my car started shaking again when I gave it gas, and it almost felt like the transmission was slipping in first gear or something. Has anyone had a similar problem with their automatic civic? Thanks. P.S., I hear that the 01' Tranny's are plagued with problems, if it goes bad I have an extended warranty that should cover it.
Old 01-12-2006
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
ibtl

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=240756

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=240595

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=241112

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=224048

http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=168274

I didnt use the search tool. here are the most popular ones, most of them are less than 5 days old are are on the 1st or 2nd page of the message board. Auto trannies are problematic for the 7thgen. Im surprised that you havnt seen anything about this as you are an older member. but i hope this helps. cuz this thread might get locked soon. hehe
Old 01-13-2006
Extreme Member

Well out of all of those forums, honestly thhe one that seems like the cause would be the cylinder misfiring, but I haven't gotten an engine code for it or anything. Yesterday I actually checked the spark plugs and they only have about 8k on them so I don't think that they would be the cause of the problem. The clylinoids all looked fine except for I guess the third one from the left which was kind of darker and smelled like fuel for whatever reason. I retightened them but the same problem with my car shaking still seems to happen. I tested my theory out with the transmission when it started to act up again. I shifted it into nuetral to disengage the tranny and the harsh rattling stopped. Any other ideas? I'd take it into the dealership but there are no engine lights on and the problem isn't severe yet.
Old 01-13-2006
Registered!!

mrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura aboutmrchowmein has a spectacular aura about
so is it like a rough idle then? well you said when the car is in nuetral the shaking stops. it could be that the tranny is restricting something from moving freely
Old 01-13-2006
Extreme Member

what could the tranny be restricting?
Old 01-14-2006
Banned

spoonJDMlX is an unknown quantity at this point
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=240157

thats the best one
Old 01-14-2006
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
usually the trans will slip before it starts to go out. does the rpm rev up high when you think its gonna shift?
Old 01-15-2006
Extreme Member

No, the RPM does not jump up when it shifts. In fact, the tranny seems to shift normally after 1st gear, and even from a stop, the tranny seems to be fine most of the time and doesn't go all screwy on me. It is just that every once in a while when I get the extreme shaking of the car and what feels like the tranny slipping(not sure). Could it be a sparkplug going bad or something even though I have only had them for about 15k or so? This all started after I got back from driving my civic to Colorado, so I don't know if the wear and tear was accelerated. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2006
Registered!!

tarheel365 is an unknown quantity at this point
mine shakes occassionally in drive when i'm stopped....when i put it in neutral it stops or decreases the shaking(i have an auto)
i haven't had a chance to check it but Gearbox said its prob a dirty iac.
Old 01-16-2006
Extreme Member

whats an IAC?
Old 01-16-2006
TURTLEonK

Nameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the roughNameless is a jewel in the rough
Idle air control?
Old 01-17-2006
Extreme Member

Can the idle air control make the car shake right when you begin to accelerate in first gear as well? For some reason, my car has only been a little rough on startup and it only happens occasionally. It is my understanding that the IAC is on the throttle body. Well if thats true, I currently have around 65k on my odometer and at around 50k I had my throttle body replaced by the dealership since my throttle body went bad. Finding that it is a fairly new throttle body, could the IAC still cause trouble? And like I mentioned before, my car only started doing this when I got back from driving to Breckenridge, CO for a ski trip and I live in Houston, TX. Thanks.