Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Scanner can't read OBD 2 codes from my civic 2002

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
caveman_0_1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Scanner can't read OBD 2 codes from my civic 2002

Hey guys,

I've had 'check engine light' coming on and off for a while now. Sometimes it would stay for a day, then it would disappear for a few days, then it would come back and so on. It has been a month now. Since I haven't notice any problems with the car I wasn't to keen to check the cause of the problem. Finally I got my a** in gear and I went to private guy (who I found on the local newsgroups) who offered to scan my civic for a few bucks. I don't remember the device brand, but it was generic OBD 2 scanner. After connecting it to the port, it would say loading or something like that, then after some "-" going across 4or5 digit display it would stop and it would display "E".....then it would try to scan it again with "-" moving across and again it would display "E", hmmm... the guy didn't charge me and he said he has never seen this problem again. The manual for the device didn't have any troubleshooting section, so we didn't know possible cause for the problem.

Do you guys know what could be causing this problem?

TIA
Old 11-03-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tacheon is on a distinguished road
There are 5 different OBDII protocols. Just because it says it is an OBDII scanner doesn't mean it will read the codes off of every car.

Originally Posted by caveman_0_1
Hey guys,

I've had 'check engine light' coming on and off for a while now. Sometimes it would stay for a day, then it would disappear for a few days, then it would come back and so on. It has been a month now. Since I haven't notice any problems with the car I wasn't to keen to check the cause of the problem. Finally I got my a** in gear and I went to private guy (who I found on the local newsgroups) who offered to scan my civic for a few bucks. I don't remember the device brand, but it was generic OBD 2 scanner. After connecting it to the port, it would say loading or something like that, then after some "-" going across 4or5 digit display it would stop and it would display "E".....then it would try to scan it again with "-" moving across and again it would display "E", hmmm... the guy didn't charge me and he said he has never seen this problem again. The manual for the device didn't have any troubleshooting section, so we didn't know possible cause for the problem.

Do you guys know what could be causing this problem?

TIA
Old 11-04-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tacheon
There are 5 different OBDII protocols. Just because it says it is an OBDII scanner doesn't mean it will read the codes off of every car.
Do you know what protocols does honda support?

tia
Old 11-04-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
tacheon is on a distinguished road
Do you know what protocols does honda support?

tia
I believe it is ISO 9141
Old 11-04-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by tacheon
I believe it is ISO 9141
The OBD2 used was recommended in the below thread 192993, so I guess it should work with honda.

Do you guys know what "E" would mean? I've downloaded a pdf manual, but it doesn't have troubleshooting section
Old 11-04-2005
Registered!!

The OBD2 used was recommended in the below thread 192993, so I guess it should work with honda.

Do you guys know what "E" would mean? I've downloaded a pdf manual, but it doesn't have troubleshooting section
Anybody ???
Old 11-08-2005
Registered!!

Anybody ???
Should I reset the computer in my civic and visit somebody else once the light comes on "check engine" light?

tia
Old 10-19-2012
7th Gen Civic DIY Enthusiast!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Matt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the roughMatt_75 is a jewel in the rough
Re: Scanner can't read OBD 2 codes from my civic 2002

Way to revive a 7 year old thread.