Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Break Pedal Switch Pop/Click noise TSB

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock is on a distinguished road
Break Pedal Switch Pop/Click noise TSB

I found this TSB that resolves your break pedal pop/click noise when depressed. The break switch is not square to the pedal when depressed. The fix is to rotate the brake switch to the 5 o'clock position.

See attached picture.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	switch.gif
Views:	6189
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	61650  
Old 10-29-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
that won't work, at least on an automatic car. the switch only installs in two positions, either left or right facing. I'll try the second way and see if it does anything.
Old 10-29-2005
Registered!!

Also see this thread about the brake pedal assembly/switch noise problem on the Acura ELs. http://www.acuraworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42514

"Hey folks,

A few of you may remember a while back I mentioned I had this really weird "click" or "pop" noise coming from the brake assembly whenever I would depress the pedal - this was something I could feel as a pop in the pedal as well. Didn't seem to affect the performance of the brakes but annoying as hell.

Anyhow, I was brushed off a number of times by the service folks saying either "they couldn't duplicate/detect" (which I'm finding to be the code for "we have no idea or are too lazy to figure out what it is"), or "this is a normal sound", which was riddiculous. Today I called them again to get them to look at it, in addition to a few other things they are taking care of.

The lady on the other line immediately said "Oh, there is a TSB on this". In brief: If a customer complains of soft pedal feel or any noise from the brake assembly when braking, there may be a problem with the brake booster master cylinder. If I remember correctly, she said this affects certain 03 and 04 EL's with VINs above a certain number. She said that the TSB did not state anything specific beyond that, nor did it describe the resolution, but it does instruct the dealer to phone Honda Canada for further instructions.

Anyhow, I am really hoping that whatever is done will finally resolve my problem, but either way - thought I'd pass on this info to you guys should you experience any related issues. Always good to come armed with TSB info for these situations."
Old 10-29-2005
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Holy crap it worked by turning it to the right. pedal feels the same but there is no more click when I press them. Thanks! I always thought it was normal for 4 years.
Old 11-01-2005
Registered!!

Click or Pop When Pressing the Brake Pedal

Here's the actual TSB:

SOURCE:
Honda Service News November 2004

TITLE:

APPLIES TO:
2003-04 Accord or 2001-05 Civic

SERVICE TIP:
Got a 2003-04 Accord or 2001-05 Civic in your shop that clicks or pops when you press the brake pedal? The culprit could be the brake pedal position switch. The switch plunger doesn't fit squarely into the switch casing. When you press the brake pedal, the plunger rubs the side of the casing and makes noise. There's a simple fix for this problem: Just turn the switch around so the connector lock now faces the 5 o'clock position.
Old 09-18-2007
Registered!!

jonny3k1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Click or Pop When Pressing the Brake Pedal

Anyone know how to fix this on a Automatic Car?? Please and thak you!
the clicking noise is driveing me carzy.

Originally Posted by stock
Here's the actual TSB:

SOURCE:
Honda Service News November 2004

TITLE:

APPLIES TO:
2003-04 Accord or 2001-05 Civic

SERVICE TIP:
Got a 2003-04 Accord or 2001-05 Civic in your shop that clicks or pops when you press the brake pedal? The culprit could be the brake pedal position switch. The switch plunger doesn't fit squarely into the switch casing. When you press the brake pedal, the plunger rubs the side of the casing and makes noise. There's a simple fix for this problem: Just turn the switch around so the connector lock now faces the 5 o'clock position.
Old 09-18-2007
Premium Member

Re: Break Pedal Switch Pop/Click noise TSB

if you mean the actual pedal click, find the switch and turn it so that its put in a different way. theres only two ways for it to sit right, so make it go the other way. the calipers clicking the first time you brake is normal and cant be fixed.
Old 09-18-2007
Look at me im a supporting member

civicfan1203 is just really nicecivicfan1203 is just really nicecivicfan1203 is just really nicecivicfan1203 is just really nice
Re: Break Pedal Switch Pop/Click noise TSB

i have noticed when my pads are worn i get that click when i changed my brakes last time witch was the first time i changed them on this car i didnt hear it for quite a while but i do now and i need to clean my brakes due to squeeking