Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Weird electrical issue. Help.

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
James_Z32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Weird electrical issue. Help.

Hi there.

I recently purchased a CDN 2001 Civic Dx with 110000Kms. This past Sunday weekend I completed a routine oil change and upon completion I started the car to see displayed the SRS (airbag) and DRL (daytime running lights) lights. Wasn't too concerned with this at the time and new I could take care of this latter on in the week. After driving the car a little for the last 2 days noticed the 2 lights (SRS and DRL) randomly go out when braking to a stop and come on upon acceleration. As well the battery light started to flicker randomly today (NOT consistently like it should when the alternator goes bad) the lights aren’t dimming at all so I'm not sure if its the alternator. I think it might be a lose ground. I did a quick check of the battery cables and there clean and tight.

I have done a little searching and I'm going to look and test for these things tomorrow. 1) Battery life 2) Alternator life 3) loose grounds 4) blown fuses. The manual didn't come with the car so I was wondering if anyone had the wiring diagrams in PDF format. Also if anyone has any magic solutions to these symptoms or any suggestions of what to look for that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks James.

P.S. This is my 3rd civic. Had a 1995 cx hatch, 1997 hatch and a 1999 hatch. Never had electrical problems with these yrs. What happened?
Old 10-26-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
sounds to me like a loose ground. Are you sure you didnt accidentally hit anything or bump anything when you changed the oil?
Old 10-26-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
James_Z32 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thanks streetglower for the reply. That’s what I'm thinking. Its just weird, I have completed tons of oil changes before on various cars (pretty routine) and never had a problem like this. Not a good start with this Honda. I'm going to have to read more up on the factory problems with this model.

Also, I haven't picked up a manual for the car yet. Could you just let me know how many grounds connections and where there located in the engine bay so I don’t accidentally miss one. Thanks James.