Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2006 Civic key fob issues

Old 07-05-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jferristx is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy 2006 Civic key fob issues

I've replaced batteries multiple times, cleaned it thoroughly, stood 6 inches away....and at best it is intermittent. I might have to push it a dozen times to finally get it to flash and unlock the car, twice as much to get it to lock the car. This is the same with BOTH fobs. Is there an electrical issue, a mechanical contact issue in the fob, something in the car receiver? How can I make this work like the new one in my Fit does?

Is this the right forum, or should it be under electrical?
Old 07-05-2015
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute
Re: 2006 Civic key fob issues

If the red light doesn't flash every time you push a button, it sounds like it needs new fob transmitters.
Old 07-06-2015
Registered!!

Is that a readily available aftermarket item? And a user programmable item? My dealer is not someone I like dealing with.
Old 07-06-2015

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jferristx
Is that a readily available aftermarket item?
No, but there are plenty of dealerships selling parts online at wholesale prices.

And a user programmable item?
No. The fobs contain the immobilizer transponder "chip" and therefore must be programmed using the dealers HDS (or equivalent) scan tool.

Got an independent shop or locksmith in your area that has equipped themselves to program Hondas keys? (There aren't any in my town.)

My dealer is not someone I like dealing with.
As with many other businesses, you tend to get better treatment when you have a relationship with the business.
Just sayin.
Old 07-08-2015
Registered!!

Well, when I walk in with TSB in hand, (Civic wheel alignment issue) and they accuse me of making it up, then claim my rack and pinion has a leak and needs to be replaced (went to another dealer and an independent mechanic to inspect it, they say it's fine, and that was more than 50K miles ago and I still haven't had an issue), it's hare to have a working relationship. I shouldn't have to join a class action lawsuit for them to repair my car. You know, it's the little things....
Old 07-08-2015

(went to another dealer
You should spend your money at that dealer then?
Old 07-08-2015
Registered!!

Nope, hour drive away. I have a good independent mechanic.