Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

blown about 4 fuses already

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IHeartMy02Vic is an unknown quantity at this point
blown about 4 fuses already

ok, sorry if it's in the wrong forum but this problem is pissing me off. once again, i noticed that my horn does not work so i checked the fuse, sure enough, blown. i come to find out that my horn is not the problem but it's my brake lights. i think there's a short circuit somewhere from my brake lights. what do you guys think? different problem? how can i fix this?

i'm getting nervous driving without working taillights because some bozo might rear end me

thanks in advance for the help
Old 10-21-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
now based on that information, I assume your number 7 fuse keeps blowing. Because you said your horn doesnt work and brake lights dont work. and that fuse controls both of those functions. So your cruise control doesnt work either.

Now if it keeps blowing, you do have a short. Somewhere in that circuit, power is going straight to ground before the load and there is no resistance which causes the amps to increase blowing that fuse. You need to start by tracing the wiring in that circuit to find where the short is occuring. there is either a wire that is pinched up against a ground (body components) or a messed up wire. If not, you may have a internal short in one of the components in that circuit.

If you have a volt meter (DMM) this can help you locate the short. You hook it up to the fuse terminals that keep blowing, and disconnect the load in that circuit and start wiggling wires starting at the fuse box in that circuit. If you wiggle the wires and voltage starts apearing, then your short is close to that point. You keep doing this through out the circuit untill you find the short. If no voltage appears at certain sections, then the short isnt in that area.

If you have any other questions, let me know.
Old 10-21-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
Does the fuse blow the instant you replace it ? Any extra electrical work or wiring done recently or alarm ? You can also use a small wattage bulb (like a #194) jumpered in place of the fuse that is blowing, If the short is present the bulb will glow at full brightness. Once the short is located the bulb should go out once short is removed.
Old 10-21-2005
Registered!!

^^^^yea, if i replace the fuse and step on the brake, it's gone.
Old 10-21-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
if it only happens when you press on the brake, then the short is after the switch, but before the load. Best bet now is to start checking the circuit.
Old 10-21-2005
Registered!!

streetglower, what do you mean it's after the switch and before the load.

can you give me a reference as to where it may be located on the car so i can try to start looking?

2002 civic ex <-- in case it's of any importance
Old 10-21-2005
Registered!!

well in that circuit, you have power up to the brake pedal position switch when you turn the key to the II position. Then when you press the brake pedal, the switch closes completing the circuit to turn the brake lights on. Now if you turn the key on and the fuse doesnt blow, then you know power is making its way up to the switch with no problem. But if it blows after you press the brake pedal and you dont get any brake lights, then you know its after the switch, but before the load. Understand kinda?

Now the honda service manaul doesnt give specific wiring locations to the circuits, you have to seperately order the electrical manaul for the 01-03 civic to get detailed wiring info. the service manaul gives basic info. Like what the circuit look like, but no location. I wish I had the electrical manaul, it would be helpful, but I will tell you this, for that circuit, the fuse is loacated in the under hood fuse box and the brake circuit for that fuse has a white/green wire that goes to the brake pedal switch and one to the horn circuit, and from that switch, a white/black wire goes to the brake lights and to the ABS modulator/PCM/crusie control/Multiplex control unit. Ask craigW if he can send you the print out from his manaul. It might be easier if you see it. But again, it would be better if you had locations to actually know where the wires went.

try not to get lost when searching through the wires as they split off at several points and go in different directions with the same color wiring.

Last edited by streetglower; 10-21-2005 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-21-2005
Registered!!

that helps out, thanks a lot