Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

help with my headlights

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
socalep3 is an unknown quantity at this point
help with my headlights

hi i just got some hids, everythings seems to be put in correctly but my lows are not working. and this is a low only setup.

when i rearanged the plugs that go in the harness i got it working... but this was only when i turned on my high beams.

i tryed my stock halogen bulbs and it only worked when i used high beam... somone told me that maybe my low beam fuse may be blown; i tryed looking for that fuse, but to no luck.

if this is the problem can somebody help me find out where it is... if not then any advice would be greatly apreicated.

thank you
Old 09-23-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
well there is no fuse for the low beam and high beam, there is one fuse for each light, but if it was out, neither high nor low beam would work. make sure you have everything hooked up properly, sounds like something may be crossed or at the most the combination switch is faulty. I say that because if you put your stock lights back in and disconnected the HID's and still only the highs work, then thats where I would look.
Old 09-23-2005
Registered!!

thisis how i wired it...

i dunno if u guys can see what is goin on here but here is what i did

Connect B to D, A to C

and then for the oem socket : E to high beam (left), F to low beam (top), G to ground (right).

this yields no light when i turn the lights on to high or low.
Old 09-24-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
well all I can think of is either you dont have it hooked up correctly, or the kit doesnt work. I think more that you dont have it hooked up right. Did the kit come with instructions? ALso what kind of kit is that? It looks kinda cheesy by the way the wiring is. The kit I used to have and most kits I have seen come with solid connecters and solid connections. Also usually from what I remember, the kit usually had a harness that plugged from the OEM harness into the ballast, then another harness that went from the ballast to the bulb.
Old 09-25-2005
Registered!!

i guess thats wat i get for buying a cheap kit... they are called techone. i bought this from some dude on honda-tech, who is hardly helpful... so ive been posting my question on diffrent forums hoping to come to the bottom of this. still havnt goten it to work properly. i made a mistake in the last post i said this is how i wired it but it is not: that is how the directions told me to wire it, but when i wire it like that it doesnt work at all. So i actualy wired it: high ground low... from left to right.

so high =left; ground=top; low= right.

now im having second thoughts about this kit ... makes me wanna
Old 09-25-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by socalep3
i guess thats wat i get for buying a cheap kit... they are called techone. i bought this from some dude on honda-tech, who is hardly helpful... so ive been posting my question on diffrent forums hoping to come to the bottom of this. still havnt goten it to work properly. i made a mistake in the last post i said this is how i wired it but it is not: that is how the directions told me to wire it, but when i wire it like that it doesnt work at all. So i actualy wired it: high ground low... from left to right.

How much did you pay for the kit? He possibly sold you it because it didnt work. I would look at buying a better kit, one from McCullouh, or any of the better HID kits. And remember the better kits are going to cost upwards of $300-500+.
Old 09-25-2005
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by socalep3

wow, this is very interesting that you say this because some vendor is selling that EXACT kit on this forum. its in the retail forums located here

MOD: if this is really a problem people are having, then maybe you should bring it to peoples' attention so the same thing doesnt happen to them...
Old 09-25-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Da1lyDr1ver
wow, this is very interesting that you say this because some vendor is selling that EXACT kit on this forum. its in the retail forums located here

MOD: if this is really a problem people are having, then maybe you should bring it to peoples' attention so the same thing doesnt happen to them...
they do look to be the same kits, but I dont know if they are low quality kits. It does to me because for one, I have never heard of that company before, and second because of that wiring, it looks to cheesy. Most good HID kits have solid connections and connecters.

Now socalep3, what I suggest you possibly do is contact that vendor on here who sells those kits and ask him if how you are installing it is correct, or go by those instructions on that link. Like I said before, more then likely you dont have it connected right.

Now if you read this link that I am about to post, you will notice member furball had the same problem and the vendor suggested checking the fuses. Not sure if he is talking about the fuses from the car or something else, but contact him and see if he worked out his problem and maybe he can help you.
http://www.7thgencivic.com/forums/sh...=7#post3408688

Last edited by streetglower; 09-25-2005 at 02:08 PM.
Old 09-30-2005
Registered!!

Gardener is an unknown quantity at this point
Check out Honda's recall for low beams not working. There are several postings on this.
Gardener
Old 10-02-2005
Registered!!

platano37 is an unknown quantity at this point
low beamssssss

I have a 99 civic and there are 4 fuses
L h/l (low)
R h/l (low)
L h/l (high)
R h/l (high)

i had the same issue. My problem ended up being that the low beam wire was fried all the way to the termination point inside the car under the steering wheel. I ran a new 14 gauge wire directly from that point under the steering wheel straight to the low beam wire on the headlight. That seemed to work great.
I went to my local discount store and bought:
- 14 gauge wire about 20 feet just in case. ~$4
- circuit tester to test how far the break is (ended up being all the way through) ~$12
- pack of wire splice ( 7 in a box ) they are the best you put both wires in and crimp them nothing else needed. Electrical tape is recomended over it. ~$4

All was done after that. The hardest thing is to find out how far the wire is fried. You can also test to see if all is well at the termination point at the connector under the sterring wheel. If that is good you can just run a wire straight from there as i did. I think it is best becuase the heavier gauge wire helps best.

ON MINE IT WAS THE RED/BLUE WIRE. YOU WILL HAVE TO TRACE THE WIRE TO FIND OUT. ( THAT IS FROM THE HEADLIGHT CONNECTOR ALL THE WAY THRU TO THE INSIDE OF THE CAR)
ON MINE IT WAS A RED/GREAY ON THE HEADLIGHT THEN IT CHANGE TO RED/GREEN ON THE HARNESS THEN ON THE CONNECTOR INSIDE THE CARE IT TURNED TO RED/BLUE. IT WILL TAKE 2 HRS TOPS. TO TRACE AND SPLICE.

IF YOU NEED MORE HELP I CAN POST PICS.

GOOD LUCK!!