Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Car sometimes wont start!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2005
Ill punch you in the face before you visit Myspace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SinaloaCivic is an unknown quantity at this point
Angry Car sometimes wont start!!!

ok i was getting in my car after school today when i start the car and i have to keep the key turned for at least 5 seconds before the engine turns ....is this normal????i mean has anyone else had this problem??? because i believe its the 2nd time its happened.......could it be an injector or any type of fuel issue???? any help would be greatly apreciated..thanks

-PeTeY!!
Old 09-24-2005

any one have any suggestions??? i mean its getting to be annoying....lol it does it more and more....it really irritates me.....plus if i were to take it in for that would thier be a high probability that the dealer would deny to fix the problem?? because i have Intake/Hedders/Catback....just bolt ons..so....HELP LOL

-PeTeY!!
Old 09-24-2005
Registered!!

fuzzylogic426 is an unknown quantity at this point
well, this has happened to me plenty of times. i learned that you have to put your key in the ignition, turn it to the on position, then wait a few seconds before starting it (i usually wait til the seatbelt sign goes off before starting it). its normal. there was a thread on here about it.
Old 09-24-2005

oh ok...well why do u have to wait that long before turning it on anyways?? i mean...shouldnt u just start it and thats it????? what happens when u turn the key to the on position??does it push fuel in?? haha seriously..its too weird..grrr

-PeTeY!!
Old 09-24-2005
Registered!!

hahah, i honestly dont know. it took a few tries before i learned to do that (plus, i remember someone on here talking about it too.lol). I used to get so pissed when i was in the school parking lot and the car wouldnt start. i dunno, it just seems so embarassing (to me at least) when you have a brand new car (w/out plates back then) and it wont start on the first try, or it takes a while to turn over.
Old 09-24-2005

haha u mean high school??? damn today was very embarrasing..i mean everyone wants me to revv my engine witht he hood open and stuff...i mean i have like the newest car thier and also looks nice.......but the starting hesitation drove away the girls....:-(

-PeTeY!!
Old 09-24-2005
Registered!!

ya, this was back in high school. i guess it wasnt that bad since i didnt have a 6th period. but there were still plenty of ppl who didnt have a 6th period too.
Old 09-24-2005

haha i love it...i mean i have raced every one in the parking lot...(the ones who want to)...and i beat them lmao...except for a damn SS camaro...i beat him from 0-40...but after that....hes gone lmfao...anywho thx for that tip...ill see if that helps!!!!:-)

-PeTeY!!
Old 09-24-2005
Drunken Master-7thgen Ninja

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
have your tried to check your spark plugs? i mean that really could be it. or one of your ignition coils. ground wire could be a little loose. theres alot of things
Old 09-24-2005

hmmm spark plugs....well i did change the spark plugs maybe 4 months ago....i got NGK Iriduim IX spark plugs in thier....umm could that be it? lol but ill check the wires...but im sure thier all fine...thx for that tip also

-PeTeY!!
Old 09-24-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
check plug torque 13ft/lbs
new battery (optima yellow)
better grounding

but really do as above. I've almost never had a problem starting. Leaving in the ON position for a few secs before starting ensures there is enough fuel pressure built up and it will start up almost every time.
Old 09-24-2005
My SL65 rim, because a rim is all I can afford
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to allJrfish007 is a name known to all
hook a fuel pressure gauage up to your car, start it and let it set over night. There could be a fuel leak, if so the pressure in the line will drop. I've seen a couple car where the seal on the fuel pump goes bad and if the pump isn't running, the fuel flows back into the tank and if the pressure in lines are not kept high, the car will not start.

Other than that, just take your time.
Old 09-24-2005
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
it could be what they stated, or possibly your battery starting to go on you. For the last month, my jeep wouldnt start very easily, sometimes 6-8 cranks or not starting at all. The battery died last week. Now it starts on 3-4 cranks tops. but definately check plugs, filters, fuel pressure, vacuum hoses, etc.
Old 09-24-2005

umm well i only have 15k miles on my EX AUTO...maybe it is the battery...because i have a big system in it...with NO capacitor...lol but ill check the fuel lines...i dont know if its leaking..i never smell fuel at all....anywho thx

-PeTeY!!
Old 09-24-2005
Crayons taste like purple...

shroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to beholdshroomster is a splendid one to behold
oi vey...aren't their cardinal rules to follow when you install a system?

does that mean you're running straight batt juice to your system?
As in when acc turns on the system gets juice first? so the starter has to struggle to get its sloppy seconds juice?
Old 09-24-2005

umm well, maybe thats it....do u all recommend i get a capaciter??lol cuz maybe thats why it sometimes wont crank.. but then i have had the system in the car for over 8 months already....

-PeTeY!!
Old 09-24-2005

MajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to beholdMajinB is a splendid one to behold
capacitor is useless.
1. get high output alternator
2. get high output battery
3. drop the system (i seriously doubt you would choose this)
Old 09-24-2005

yea lol i dont want to drop the system...i might go with the high output alternater and the battery....u have any prices?? Just Wondering...thx

-PeTeY!!
Old 09-24-2005

no more than 100 bucks for a high output alternator. not sure bout the battery. ive seen batteries go for a couple of hundred. id go with the alternator. but be careful cause a high output alternator puts more of a parasitic drain on the motor. meaning a little less power to the wheels, good luck
Old 09-24-2005

oh....damn....lol well im trying to get more power out of my VTEC-E...lol i just found out i need a good 5K for a turbo upgrade...GRRR...lol

-PeTeY!!
Old 10-02-2005
Registered!!

CivicSF should not be trustedCivicSF should not be trusted
the method of turning the key to the ON position for about 3 to five seconds, then completing the key turn to fire the engine up, is the best method to getting the Vic to start quick. most FI pumps need a second to prime appropriately.

my FI motorcycles... 2003 honda vtx, 2000 suzuki gsxr750, and 2001 suzuki TLR1000... all had an audible fuel injection sound for about a second on turning the key to the ON position. altho i don't have the service spec in front of me for the Vic, i'll bet its a similar deal