Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Trunk Light won't turn on!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jackal903 is an unknown quantity at this point
Trunk Light won't turn on!

does anyone know how to fix this problem? i forgot since when my turnk light won't turn on, at first i just think the light bulb burn out. i had a CF trunk and diy trunk shocks, took off the oem trunk springs. is it the problem with the sensor? Thank you.
Old 09-10-2005
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
The circuit needs a ground to complete and light the bulb. A CF trunk is probably non conductive material. You could TRY to add a ground wire hooked to the latch (put wire under a mounting bolt of latch) and ground it to see if it works.
Old 09-10-2005
Tell me what you don't like about yourself....
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

CarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to allCarbonFly is a name known to all
The CF trunk should have nothing to do with your trunk light. Did you replace the bulb?
Old 09-10-2005
Registered!!

i did replace the bulb and i tried switch the thrid brake light's plug into the trunk like sucket. and i press the brake and the trunk like is on. that mean my bulb and the sucket is fine. The problem is the wiring.
Old 09-10-2005
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
you possibly have a faulty trunk light assembly. If you have a multimeter, remove the 2P connecter from the trunk light and check for continuity between the 2 terminals. If there is continuity, and the bulb is ok, you need to replace the trunk light (not the bulb).
Old 09-10-2005

CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light
A quick and simple test would be, with the trunk open use a short section of wire 5-7 feet long. Touch or attach 1 end to the METAL PART of the trunk latch assembly and bring the other end of the wire to a known good ground. If you light comes on you need to provide a ground path for the circuit.
Old 09-10-2005
Registered!!

streetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to allstreetglower is a name known to all
Ok, I guess I didnt read carefully. If you did plug the third brake light socket into the trunk light and it came on, then the trunk light assembly is working.

Now craig, the trunk has nothing to do with the ground for the latch. All the lights in the trunk, the taillights, turn signals, thrid brake light, etc... all use the same ground. And the trunk latch uses that ground as well. So if those other lights work, you know the integrity of the ground is good. There may be an open in the ground wire to the latch before any splices, but the circuit is already properly gounded. I think the problem is in the latch switch itself. Now he can check the continuity of the latch itself with the trunk open and closed, and he can also check at the connecter at the fuse box to see if the ground is indeed the problem or if the latch is also faulty.
Old 09-10-2005

Sorry ! There is a returning wire from the switch. I will now SHUT UP.
Old 09-10-2005
Registered!!

thanks guys....i will go check the continuity of trunk light and also check the fuse box. by the way, is it the fuse box under the steering wheel?
Old 09-10-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by jackal903
thanks guys....i will go check the continuity of trunk light and also check the fuse box. by the way, is it the fuse box under the steering wheel?
check the continuity accross the latch to begin with. You should have continuity with the trunk open and no continuity with it closed.

Now there is some connecters at the dash fuse box you can back probe and check for voltage from the trunk latch. there is an 18P connecter under there with a red wire on the 18th pin you can check. With the trunk lid open, there should be 1 volt or less. With it closed, there should be 5V or more. If either are incorrect, you possibly have a short to ground, open in the wires, a faulty trunk latch, or a poor ground.