Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

whining noise while driving

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cyclosporine is an unknown quantity at this point
whining noise while driving

hello, lately my tranny has been slipping, and the car vibrates a lot, I went to the dealer and they said there's a piece of the transmision that needs to be change, but I haven't had time to buy the piece and take the car back to the dealer, anyway, I've started to notice now, that my car makes a whining noise (and a very loud one, like the one when you go on reverse), when I go forward and after drving a few miles it goes away, any suggestions ideas of what could it be before I take it to the dealer??
Old 06-11-2005
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
did you find out what piece needs to be changed cause i have the same problem.

Injen
Old 06-11-2005

Mishkautkin is an unknown quantity at this point
ball bearings in transmition, i had that.
Old 06-11-2005
Registered!!

injencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of lightinjencivic is a glorious beacon of light
^ how do i fix this problem?

i have also been told its my torque converter

Injen
Old 06-11-2005

Mishkautkin is an unknown quantity at this point
i took it to tranny shop and the parts were like 150 and it was 300 to install - that what was wrong with mine i do not know about yours. do you power shift and rag the hell out of your car? - that could be the problem.

oh you do not have supercharger on your car do you? - cause that might cause a winding noise too :-D
Old 06-11-2005
Registered!!

nope no superchargers lol.... i have never once neutral dropped the car, the only thing possible is i might have waited to long to change the tranny fluid and possibly i might have a slight heavy foot, but thats all... this is the only problem i have had outta my car and its got 98,000 miles on it now. I did have a sensor on my tranny go out along time ago like when i first got it and it was covered under warranty, but i was able to drive at that time and it worked fine until i took it to honda.

Injen
Old 06-11-2005
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
i had a really loud whinning noise on my Maxima beater a while back..... sounded identical to that noise when you go in reverse.

turned out that the bearing on the tension pulley was going back and making that noise.

i got lucky that it was a tension pulley cuz it was a cheap fix..... the alternator pulley or the AC pulley could have had the same bearing problem that that would be a lot more to fix.

but if you're having the same problem i had its most likely the bearing pulley going back.
Old 06-12-2005
Registered!!

well...I took my car for the dealer for this problem, they said it was the "base" of the transmision, they changed it, and they gave me the care the next day, I took the car out to run some errands, and 20 min later, my whole transmision cave... and I just went to a rolling stop to my destination, I called the dealer pissed off, so they could send some jerk to pick the car up

so, they decided to actually check the transmision and here's my bill:

1 gasket kit------------------181.14
3 plate, clutch-----------------2.80
3 disk, clutch------------------5.56
6 disk, clutch------------------5.56
9 plate, clutch----------------14.79
3 disk, clutch------------------5.56
1 clutch, one way-------------45.67
1 strainer (atf)----------------48.89
1 Converter, torque----------774.19
1 filter assy-------------------19.25
1 gasket-----------------------1.99
6 Brake Cleaner Wurth----------5.60
1 Fluid (ATF-Z1)---------------5.06

TOTAL--------------------1,348.36

my dealer didn't offer an extended warranty, it was only a 1 year warranty... they totally **** up my car, since I took it to avoid this **** and they didn't, and now I'm f*ck... I'm fighting with those a-wholes to bring the price way down since they admit they f*cked up, and either way I have to wait 8 days to get the parts shipped here and about 3 days for the installation...

so I suggest you all should take your car as soon as possible to your dealer or mechanic or whatever and make them check ALL the transmision and not just the outside, good luck everyone

Last edited by Cyclosporine; 06-12-2005 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-14-2005
Registered!!

damn that sucks.... i was hoping this might be a small fix, who knows it still might be.

Thanks for the info

Injen
Old 06-29-2005
Registered!!

apects is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission defect

I had the same problem about 2 years ago. I live in Japan, and the dealer here fixed it for me free of charge, even though it was out of warranty.

Mine is a 2001 1.7 VTEC sedan.
Old 07-03-2005
Registered!!

^ so theres a recall on the tranny?

Injen
Old 07-05-2005
Registered!!

I don't know about a recall, but from what I've seen here, it seems to be a 2001 tranny problem, i mentioned this to my dealer, and they talk to their dealer and they only charge me the installation service... it turn out for the best, only payed $600 instead of $2600, and the car feels like a dream now