Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

whining noise?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2005
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
whining noise?

the maxima beater i bought has had this whining noise when i accelerate since day one

when i push the gas from a stop to speed up it starts whining like "waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" then it shifts and whining goes away and then in 2nd gear it starts whining again as i accelerate. the only time it doesnt whine is when i let off the gas and roll or when i'm stopped

the noise is coming from where all the belts are in the engine bay so i have a hunch it has somehting to do with them.

do you guys think it might be the timing belt or somethign making all that whining noise when i accelerate or what?
Old 01-05-2005
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
That usually means bad alternator bearing, or could just be really cold weather.Power steering pump also makes a smilar noise if fluid is low, but that's only when turning.
Old 01-05-2005
I need TP for my bunghole

PunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud ofPunkingCivic has much to be proud of
does it sound like it comes from the engine bay or is it an electrical whine
Old 01-05-2005
Registered!!

hustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the roughhustlelikem0fo is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by PunkingCivic
does it sound like it comes from the engine bay or is it an electrical whine
its coming from the engine bay, from the spot where the crank pulley is and all the belts.

it kinda sounds like an ambulence siren.... only not as loud of course. but as i accelerate the noise grows louder and louder like waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa then as the tranny shifts the noise falls back down again and as it accelerates in 2nd gear the waaaaaaaaaaaa grows again.
Old 01-05-2005
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
If the stereo is off when this is happening, it's your alternator bearings. My civic did this for a while when it was VERY cold out, but went away eventually. You can try spraying belt dressing to the belts, but really the belts would make more of a squeak noise.
Old 01-05-2005
Registered!!

Originally Posted by gearbox
If the stereo is off when this is happening, it's your alternator bearings. My civic did this for a while when it was VERY cold out, but went away eventually. You can try spraying belt dressing to the belts, but really the belts would make more of a squeak noise.

this happens when the stereo is on and off. the weather doesnt change anything, when its warm or cold out it makes that noise.

the car has 220k miles on it..... i'm just wondering what that noise could be because i dunno weather to just leave it the way it is cuz its running or take it to a mechanic and get it taken care of
Old 01-05-2005
Premium Member

civic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond reputecivic01vtec has a reputation beyond repute
it is your hidden supercharger
Old 01-06-2005
Registered!!

bump
Old 01-09-2005
Registered!!

crvtec18 is an unknown quantity at this point
your belts are prolly loose