Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

'04 SiR Fuel Capacity Myth

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
aamiggia is an unknown quantity at this point
'04 SiR Fuel Capacity Myth

New to the board,

Every tech spec. on my new '04 SiR (Si in US) claims that the fuel tank is 50 liters or 13 USG. The problem is that the most fuel I have ever put is is 36 L (9.5 USG). Even when I drive until the fuel light comes on and the needle is on E.

Like Austin Powers, "I like to live dangerously", but unlike Kramer I don't like to drive too long after the fuel light comes on and the needle is below E.

Am I not filling the tank up enough? or is the gauge wrong. It makes me think that the fuel tank is only 40 L like all other generations of civic. If that's the case I can live with it, but I'm not going to like.
Old 12-21-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
There is a reserve in the tank when the light turns on. About 3 gallons is about right on "E" 13 USG when BONE DRY total capacity, and that may be up to the filler neck.

If you really want to test this, keep a full can of spare gas in the car and see how far it goes.
Old 12-21-2004
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
The problem is that one your tank isn't empty, and the SiR fuel gauge sucks, I know because I own a 03 Si (US). If you ran the car until it ran out of gas you would see that the tank holds 13 gallons + . I've bitched on other sites about the fuel light coming on to soon, in fact I've drove over 100 miles after the light comes on and still had 2 or 3 gallons left in the tank. Now I just drive until I hit 400 miles on the trip odmometer and fill up.
Old 12-21-2004
Registered!!

aamiggia is an unknown quantity at this point
What kind of mileage are you getting on average? and how much fill do you put in after 400 miles?

I'm getting about 29-30 mpg. At this rate, what do think the max. miles I can put on between file ups? I've been filling up at <300 miles.
Old 12-21-2004
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
Originally Posted by aamiggia
What kind of mileage are you getting on average? and how much fill do you put in after 400 miles?

I'm getting about 29-30 mpg. At this rate, what do think the max. miles I can put on between file ups? I've been filling up at <300 miles.
If I'm driving on the highway I'll go to 400 miles before a fill up and I put in about 12.5 gallons (32mpg) but around town I fill up between 300 and 350 miles.

Your average MPG is right on the money, I've gotten as much as 33 MPG on the highway and as low as 24 MPG around town. If you drive the engine over 4000 rpm a lot your milage will decrease a lot, but its so hard to try to keep it under 4 grand.
Old 12-21-2004
Registered!!

rickinthescv will become famous soon enoughrickinthescv will become famous soon enough
Honda, in its infinite wisdom has deemed that all mere mortals are incapable of buying gas at the correct time.

So the warning light goes on when you have only 3 gallons left. That means that upon illumination, you only have the ability to drive 100 miles.

Now one time in the desert, I was driving, just passed a gas station and saw the sign, no more gas for 70 miles. Going along well, then light goes on. Beads of sweat poured down, white knuckles, the whole experience.

Needless to say, I made it. And I only was allowed to put in 12.2 gallons filled to the top. So all I know is that if the light just goes on, I don't have to be late for work, just to get gas, but I should do it before those 3 gallons are gone.
Old 12-21-2004
Subarus FTW I do NOT miss my civic

2K1Civic17"Gabe is an unknown quantity at this point
yeah, Ive driven up to 125 with the light on. I drive really easy when it goes on, but lasts a long time after. I usually fill up between 10-11 gallons when I fill up. There are times that the light goes on, and I fill up right after with like 12.5 gallons. It fluctuates with my car