Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

2004 Civic EX intermittent fuel gauge problems.

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2015
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cwisenbaker06 is an unknown quantity at this point
2004 Civic EX intermittent fuel gauge problems.

I've been searching on and off for a few months trying to figure this issue out to no solution. Today I ran across a tread with a service bulletin from Honda about faulty calculations for fuel level, and needing to change the whole instrument cluster, here is a description of the issue and it is random when it happens sometimes just after filling the tank and others at any fuel level.

One time when I filled my civic up, after leaving the gas station and making a turn, my fuel gauge showed I was on empty and slowly as I drive it will climb back to the proper level. Turning the car on and off doesn't do anything, I have to drive it to get it to go to normal, I've never tried just letting it idle when it happens. Other times I will be driving and it will just got to empty and same thing I will have to drive it till it is back to normal, this isn't quick either. sometimes it takes over 50 miles for it to show the right level.

I've replaced the fuel filter and did a gauge test (I think that's what it was at least, correct me if I'm wrong, were you put the instrument cluster into some kind of maintenance mode and all the lights flash and all the needles move from low to high and back).

So at this point I think it is the fuel gauge sending unit, but I can't seem to find that by itself just the whole fuel filter, strainer, pump assemble. All I need is the sending unit dose anyone know were I can buy just that part?

Thanks for the help,
cwisenbaker