Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Water in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
quwok is an unknown quantity at this point
Water in trunk

it rained today and for some reason water got in my trunk, i tried to locate the leak but i cant seem to find it, i was wondering does anyone have this problem, i dont know if its because when my back bumper was installed that something had gotten loose and wasnt tighten.

------------

Old 09-29-2004
Registered!!

bakuretsu is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a leak in my trunk now and I have no idea what it is. The body is 100% stock so I don't think it's the bumper or anything, but the trunk seal itself is always bone dry, as are the carpet side panels. It seems to be coming in from below, or on the sides somewhere down low...

This time there were easily 2 or 3 inches of water in the spare tire well that I had to vacuum out with my wet/dry. I'm taking it in to the dealership on Monday, as it's still under warranty, but I am PISSED.
Old 09-29-2004
Registered!!

duyaknow is an unknown quantity at this point
That sounds weird. You might want to search a few threads in the ice and electrical forum. People were having water leaking problems into the trunk and were worried that there audio system would get damaged. They found out why it leaked, I just don't remember. Good luck man.
Old 09-29-2004
Registered!!

HappyGilmore is an unknown quantity at this point
Water is leaking from the fuel inlet (where you pump gas). Rip open the side carpet in the trunk, then put some silicone around the area.
Old 09-29-2004
Registered!!

You know, I thought that might be it so I looked around behind the carpet, but let's be honest, it's under warranty so I'm going to let someone else get their hands all covered with silicone for this one.

Makes me feel like the warranty is worth something.

Thanks for the suggestion, though, Happy! I'll let you know if you were right.
Old 09-29-2004
Registered!!

quwok is an unknown quantity at this point
my trunk is fix, it seems water was getting through from one of the screw from my kit
Old 09-29-2004
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

baggedblue02 will become famous soon enoughbaggedblue02 will become famous soon enough
get someone to get outside and lay in the trunk with it closed and run a dollar bill (folded lenghtwise) along the rubber seal. As if you were sawing it, with the guy pulling and you pushing and vice versa. Once you find a place where its slides very easy then you can put some silicone or putty behind it to raise it up a little.
Old 09-30-2004
No Title

maxsin is an unknown quantity at this point
I had the same problem with my 03 EX. I took it to the dealership and they fixed it under warrenty, plus they replaced the carpet lining in the trunk. Must be kinda common.
Old 09-30-2004
Registered!!

I just hope that the stereo guys didn't screw something up when they were running the cables for my subs, because then I have to open another whole can of worms trying to get them to pay for it.

In my previous car, the stereo guys (NOT the same guys, some jerkoffs from Tweeter, Etc.) drilled a screw INTO MY GAS TANK and my car started leaking fuel all over the place. I didn't know until a week later, and this was during unusually hot (for Connecticut) weather, around 90 degrees. I'm glad the combustion temperature for unleaded gasoline is higher than that! Or I'd be dead!

I did get Tweeter to pay for it. The manager pulled $180.00 (the cost of my aftermarket tank and installation) from the register and gave me his sincerest apologies. I think he was hoping to whatever god he follows that I wouldn't sue the hell out of the place and get him fired, which I could easily have done. He also took 1/2 price off of my 0.5f cap and install.
Old 10-02-2004
Registered!!

Follow-up on the trunk leak: My passenger side tail light seal was leaking HEAVILY from the top edge. After taking my light off I found that the seal was wrinkled, like the top had been folded over and mashed in when it was installed.

I flattened the seal and re-installed, but water still came gushing in when I tested it with the garden hose. So of course I had no choice but to get medieval on its ***! I took the seal off completely and ran a thick bead of outdoor silicone caulk along the contact point.

That should do the trick.
Old 10-02-2004

sw388integra is a jewel in the roughsw388integra is a jewel in the roughsw388integra is a jewel in the roughsw388integra is a jewel in the rough
if you pull back the carpet on the drivers side(in the trunk), there is a box that leads to the outside of the car...you have to take the rear bumper off and silicone the hell out of the lining of the box...had the same problem.....