Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Transmission is FUBAR

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2004
Ricerus Maximus

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
Transmission is FUBAR

Originally posted by OsOBooSTeD
ok... now uve gotten problems.... i had the same thing happen to me and honda DID fix it.... Apparently what happened is the throw out bearing went bad... which gave you your first symptoms... NOW since you have the rattling noise... which happened to me only when the clutch wasnt pushed in , is the input shaft.... whats happening is that the throwout bearing is done, and because that happened and you neglected to fix it , you have destroy'd the other bearings, the pilot , etc... and NOW the input shaft is vibrating against the whole tranny.. causing more problems and soon tranny failure. NOW because youve waited so long to get it fixed ... its not just a throw out bearing problem.. there are many parts that u may or maynot have destroyd or ruined. You really need to get it fixed before you tranny falls out your car ... literally.
Well I had a problem similar to this except for one thing, my throwout bearing never made a sound. The input shaft just started rattleing to hell and back. It rattles when ever the clutch is out and is loud as hell, and I know the transmission is about to go completely. Does anybody have any experience as to how much this could possibly cost to fix?

My other question is has anyone done a tranny swap with a used tranny and had any problems with one of them?
Old 04-05-2004
OsOBaNNeD

OsOBooSTeD is an unknown quantity at this point
new trannyy 300 bucks www.car-part.com
Old 04-05-2004
Ricerus Maximus

clownprince will become famous soon enoughclownprince will become famous soon enough
thanks man, tons of help.
Old 04-15-2004
Registered!!

specificcivic is an unknown quantity at this point
before u buy the tranny, buy one for an 03 b/c the ones from the early 02's and all 01's are messed up from the factory matter how many times u rebuild them.
Old 04-15-2004
Super Hoser

turboslug will become famous soon enoughturboslug will become famous soon enough
i heard honda released a tranny recall this week

too bad civics weren't on the list
Old 04-15-2004
Registered!!

etdigitalis should not be trusted
Disgruntled 01 Owner

You guys are really starting to scare me...

I put my 01 EX in the shop to have a couple things in the MT checked out (sometimes won't go into 1st and very rough going into 2nd). When I got it back, not only was the problem with 1st still there, but there were MORE It was making a slight whining noise (almost like a P/S pump) with the clutch pedal out, but not with it in.

Now, my car has always idled very quietly, so this came as quite a shock... especially since they had it for a week.

So I gave it back to them... and they call me up today to tell me that the cause of the noise is a bearing. I don't know which one, but it sux nonetheless.

With specificcivic's comment about 01-02 MT's being junk and my warranty expiring in a few months, I can already tell I'll be spending many-a-weekends in the auto hobby shop putting in an 03 drivetrain.

WTF
Old 04-19-2004
Ricerus Maximus

the problem is the input shaft bearing. that's exactly the noise mine was making at first, and now it's a nice rattleing.

check your warranty information. There might be something about a 100,000 mile powertrain warranty, just have to check. If nothing else stay tuned in, I'm about to contact Honda Corporate about this.
Old 04-20-2004
Life Begins > 6800rpms
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

blouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to beholdblouisgod is a splendid one to behold
Any word yet?
Old 04-25-2004
Ricerus Maximus

nothing yet, just got the letters to the CEO's out the other day. I'll post updats as they should be replying to me any day.