Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

Automatic Transmission..

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dticalman01 is an unknown quantity at this point
Automatic Transmission..

I have an automatic transmission civic lx...but what happens when i'm reversing and then I put it in drive while it's still moving.?
Old 12-02-2003
Registered!!

DJPark is an unknown quantity at this point
Good question! I do this too, if I find out that it's bad I will stop. While it's still slowly rolling backwards I switch it to drive and go.
Old 12-02-2003
TUCKIN 19s

2k2EXCOUPE will become famous soon enough
Originally posted by DJPark
Good question! I do this too, if I find out that it's bad I will stop. While it's still slowly rolling backwards I switch it to drive and go.
i used to always wait for a complete stop to change gears but lately if im just rolling slowly i shift it into drive. at slow speeds, and i mean like not even a 1 mph i dont think itll do jackshit.
Old 01-15-2004
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Jymineekrickett is an unknown quantity at this point
i do this too, but i shift into neutral and wait a bit before i go into drive
Old 01-15-2004
Autocross Junky

Zzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond reputeZzyzx has a reputation beyond repute
Luckly for you auto guys, the transmission and the engine arnt directly hooked together.... so the Torque converter gets all the abuse when you do this. No big deal really. Dont worry about it.
Old 01-15-2004
Premium Member

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I've noticed also that the car takes a couple secs to get in gear after shifting into drive. I've tried to step on the gas before it engages and got a big clunk noise and jump.
Old 01-15-2004
Back From The Banned!

CuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really niceCuRiOuSfIsH is just really nice
^^ I dont think that is a good idea, I did that once on my mom's Odyssey and that didnt sounds too good, so I quit doing that...

Oh yeah.... I just remembered, isnt that kind of like a Neutral drop?
Old 01-16-2004
YS
Registered!!

YS is an unknown quantity at this point
does anyone know why my car lose power when i got stuck at a traffic??? and after the traffic, when i step on the gas, my car makes a whining sound ........ i step on the gas and it hits 2500rpm first then my car start moving while in the morning when i step on the gas, it only hits up to 1750 - 2000rpm when my car start moving

do you get what i mean???

anyone know why??? is my tranny slipping or something??

thanks
Old 01-16-2004
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
I think it's normal. Mine does that, especially when it's cold outside. The car gets weird after idleing for a while.
Old 01-16-2004
YS
Registered!!

"...when it's cold outside. The car gets weird after idleing for a while..."

it's fine when it's cold or in the morning or for the first 1hr (if there's no traffic) and 30 mins when there's a heavy traffic
Old 01-17-2004
Premium Member

Maybe the fluid gets too hot and takes longer to shift. Usually the tranny won't just go out for no reason. Have you changed your tranny fluid? They recommend every 15K to be safe.
Old 01-17-2004
YS
Registered!!

i got tranny cooler and yes for tranny oil (i did flush the tranny @ 10k)
Old 01-17-2004
TUCKIN 19s

2k2EXCOUPE will become famous soon enough
your supposed to change the tranny fluid at 15k? ive never heard that.

i have 22k and havnet done it.
Old 01-19-2004
Registered!!

bluericeburna2k2 will become famous soon enoughbluericeburna2k2 will become famous soon enough
YS: that happens to me too. in trafic when i switch from break pedal to gas pedal it hesitates.

as for the R ->D while rolling.... i dont do it and you shouldnt either. play it safe and wait the extra 2 seconds. waiting the extra 2 seconds is cheaper than having to repair a trans/engine problem in the future.
Old 01-19-2004
BLDNPSI Mod

tfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond reputetfnaaf has a reputation beyond repute
If you are backing up and put it into drive before it comes to a complete stop? Not a good idea! Yes the tranny isnt directly driven by the engine because of the torq converter. But none the less the tranny and axles and such are turning one way with power to them and then changing direction under power with out stopping, well something will give eventually.
Old 01-19-2004
Registered!!

VtecDude is an unknown quantity at this point
Yea I too would not recommend the rolling shift...

I've been told the reason as to why transmissions start to take the 2 seconds before fully switching to D from park or reverse is due to rolling shifts. Like someone said, take the extra two seconds to stop the car and switch gears it will save u alot of money and 24 hours of dealership service on your car.

Personally I'd take the 2 seconds over the 24 hours.
Old 01-19-2004

GreenNVicious can only hope to improve
Careful with the auto tranny's fellahs, they're kinda weak, i blew mine a few weeks ago