Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

my car is dying

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Solar is right. But my intake is switched back to stock now with all the bolts tight and everything. I use regular 87 gas, not prmeium so that should be good. I realize this is a big problem, but I don't know what to tell the dealer to check. I'm afraid the plugs I bought for $$ will get fouled again and I'm back in the same mess. I guess carbon on plugs means too rich a mixture, but that means the ECU is messing up.
Old 10-01-2003
2003 Nissan Frontier

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cryption should not be trusted
vacume hose?
Old 10-01-2003
Premium Member

gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Also when my auto tranny shifts, there is a noticable pause when shifting gears. When I drive it, the engine makes growling noises and feels really sluggish. It's almost like the intake is clogged, but I just cleaned the filter. NGK iridiums should be here tomorrow yay! I'll post back with the results.
Old 10-02-2003
Premium Member

Okay all I just installed my NGK iridium IX plugs. From the first drive around town, I noticed the engine wasn't as sluggish and I was able to accelerate better than before. My car feels like it's close to new again. I'll check and see if mpg went up any afterwards.
Old 10-06-2003
The wheel is turning...but the hamster is dead

ShoelessEX is a name known to allShoelessEX is a name known to allShoelessEX is a name known to allShoelessEX is a name known to allShoelessEX is a name known to allShoelessEX is a name known to allShoelessEX is a name known to allShoelessEX is a name known to all
My old Volvo did the same thing when I stepped on the gas it felt like the engine was boggin and I would be on the Highway...turns out I needed a tune up BAD...my distrubeter cap was cracked and my spark plugs were real bad...plus the car had lots of other problems...thats the reason its my "Old Volvo" and I drive a civic now :-p lol
Old 10-20-2003
Registered!!

Ouse is an unknown quantity at this point
Gear box i am having the same problems as you. does anyone here know what exactly is the proper way to reset the ECU? how long dos it have to stay off how long does it have to run after???? the help would be greatly appreiciated. i have a trip to go on at the end of the week and i need a car that runs decent. thanks guys.
Old 10-21-2003
Premium Member

I've already done the ecu thing and it won't help. The car learns by itself after a couple hundred miles. Oh and despite my full DIY tuneup, mpg is still around 24. If you still want to humor the car, here you go.

RESETTING THE ECU

1) Remove fuse underhood labeled FI ECU and let sit for 30 mins. You can also pull the battery, but you'll lose the radio presets.

2) Put the fuse back and start the car. Let it IDLE for 15mins and then turn the car off.

3) Turn the car on and then off again.

4) Turn on again and drive around on roads and freeway. It will take another tank of gas for the car to adjust properly, so you may get even worse mileage after doing this on the first tank.
Old 10-21-2003
Registered!!

Da1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura aboutDa1lyDr1ver has a spectacular aura about
all you have to do is look in your owners manual under emissions and it'll tell you how to reset the ecu. its not hard. just diconnect the battery and let it sit for 15 min. then hook up the battery again and let the car idle for 20 min without touching anything...NOTHING. then you're all set to go.