Mechanical Problems/Vehicle Issues and Fix-it Forum If you've got a problem you just can't figure out, a noise you can't diagnose, or a Check Engine Light that won't go away, ask about it here!

is it cuz our cars is cheap?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2003
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slamtank is an unknown quantity at this point
is it cuz our cars is cheap?

i got my new car about 2weeks ago..
and i found that theres alot of proof of cheapness..
like..some interior stuff doesnt fit..i mean it fits but not perfectly lined up..
door lock lever which has red sticker on it..its not 90 degrees straight up but
slightly slopped..
glove box has different sizes of crack for left and right side..
center console pieces are not perfectly lined up..
theres little gap between trunk and tail light..and between trunk and rear fender or something..
sun roof sealing rubber has different height for each side left and right when i see it from the behind..just a little..
is it cuz civic is cheap or is my car crap?
i got it thru internet sales with cheaper price like $15125+++ for ex coupe mt..
was i ripped off? or is it kinda normal with a cheap car like ours?
just curious..
Old 08-22-2003
Registered!!

AllyTron is an unknown quantity at this point
I have the same issues with my car . . I've driven three different generations of VW Jettas before my Civic and I've come to realize the difference between German and Japanese engineering . . fit and finish on newer VW's are top notch, gap tolerances are minimal inside and out, and interior plastics are high quality and non-glossy. Japanese cars, particularly entry-level ones, tend to be less precise when it comes to fit and finish, but they are most likely solidly built and won't fall off or apart. Plastic quality tends to take the backseat because they are glossy and some plastic parts are inconsistent when it comes to matching the same color as other plastics in the car. Where the Japanese excel is reliability and the ability for their products to work like well-oiled machines, and to do so consistently. German cars are notorious for electrical problems and mechanical faux pas. But they do handle great out of the box and have great sound systems. It's just a matter of what you need from a car and what things you can't compromise on.
Old 08-22-2003
ak
Retired Mod
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

ak can only hope to improve
Nothing is perfect.

It's a Honda, not a Lexus. so yes it's because our cars are cheap...fit and finish isn't top.
Old 08-22-2003
Registered!!

Snort2001 is an unknown quantity at this point
it's normal. don't trip about it. like ak said...ntohing in this world is perfect...so dont' expect too much when you buy a honda.
Old 08-23-2003
Registered!!

aight guys thanks..
i was just curious about this if it is only my car..
its kinda big to me..since its my first car ever..hehe
and since i got an accident 5days after the purchase and got my rear bumper changed, i wondered if that does something with this problem..but now..im all good..
Old 08-23-2003
Registered!!

jedi is an unknown quantity at this point
Very sad , but all that has been said is all to true
I tried out many Civic`s before finding the "right one" and even that
is not perfect .
We got about the same deal , even though I have an "auto" and pick
it out of a "line-up" LOL
$16,500 / with , side mouldings , splash guards and floor mats.
Have you checked your "hood" mine as well as all that I looked at were
and remain lose , I thought by know that there would be a recall.
It`s not real bad , it does`nt vibrate or anything like that , but if you
left up on the hood while it is latch in , it`s lose and there is no adjustment.
O-well !!
jedi
Old 08-23-2003
The Greatest

Fern is an unknown quantity at this point
people, i know you're spending hard earned money on a new car, but its an economy car. It's never gonna have perfected fit and finish. That's how it goes. If you want top-notch fit, alignment, and finish then go drop more money for a BMW or what-have-you. You can look at the bright side and say "Hey, the fit and finish may not be as good as a VW, but at least the reliability is better" All about making trade-offs.
Old 08-24-2003
Registered!!

Roosbok is an unknown quantity at this point
Toyota's, even Echo's, are supposed to have top notch interiors. I have read the same for PT Cruisers.
Old 08-24-2003
The Greatest

PT cruisers also cost at least $5k more than our cars. It's also an American company so its hard to compare. Also, Echo's Do not have top notch interiors. I had to drive one as a rental for a day. Not only is it painfully ugly/slow, but its fit and finish isnt like Toyota. Reminded me more of the crap fit/finish of a '80's Camaro or mustang with all the rattles/squeaks it had.
Old 08-25-2003
Registered!!

iluvbritney is an unknown quantity at this point
i wouldn't use "cheap" to desribe it, i'd use "normal"...cmon now its a civic wat do u expect....i bet those bmw, lexus, etc...aint perfect
Old 08-25-2003
Registered!!

Originally posted by Fern
PT cruisers also cost at least $5k more than our cars. It's also an American company so its hard to compare. Also, Echo's Do not have top notch interiors. I had to drive one as a rental for a day. Not only is it painfully ugly/slow, but its fit and finish isnt like Toyota. Reminded me more of the crap fit/finish of a '80's Camaro or mustang with all the rattles/squeaks it had.
It does seem to be true that most cars, American or otherwise, that are equipped at the level of the Civic and have good reviews for quality usually cost at least a few thousand more. The Echo I was basing on a magazine review which gave it top marks across the board for workmanship. I have sat in a stationary Echo, but that's is all I know about it personally.

Anyway, EXs should be put together well, since the EX price is starting to get up there.
Old 08-25-2003
The Greatest

^^ yea exactly. Although, I dont think a manufacturer would/should put a car together better based on which badge(LX,EX, etc...) it's doing at the moment. Basically everyone has differernt opinions of fit and finish, and in my opinion, I think Honda does a damn good job compared to other manufacturers. Sure, those new VW's seem good at first, but my GF's jetta is a POS and its only 3 years old. For example, I went to take my snapple out of her cup holder the other day and the entire cup holder assembly fell off of the dash. As funny as it was/is, it just goes to show. VW may have great INITIAL fit and finish but its legendary crap reliability always comes through to ruin it. Hopefully things for them are looking up these days.
Old 08-30-2003
Registered!!

AdamYYZ is an unknown quantity at this point
I have a Canadian 2002 SI-G Coupe built in the USA and I find the fit and finnish to be excellent for the cars price. Im very happy with the build quality of my vehicle.
Old 08-30-2003
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

tinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nicetinman is just really nice
My mom has a canadian built 01 civic 4dr. I have an american built 02 civic coupe. The fit and finish on her 4door is noticably better all around. The moonroof is perfectly flush, the door and fender seams line up visually perfect, and the car actually has no rattles at all. My 02 is nice, but it does not come close. It really bugs me, and the car does rattle here and there.
The fit between the doors and fenders is noticably uneven. Do the canadians just build them better? What gives with that? Now I wish I had a canadian or japanese built civic.
Old 08-30-2003
Registered!!

yeh even tho its a cheap car i pay $15000 for this car..
its not cheap at all..hehe
civic really disappoint me..damn..
Old 08-31-2003
Registered!!

bullseye is an unknown quantity at this point
The Civic is a very high volume car 300,000+ units a year just for the US market and on the production line - any production line - time is money. These cars are built at a very rapid pace. It is amzing that they fit together as well as they do. As far as as fit such as body panels - the 2001 Civic was noted for having very close tolerances on body panel fit. I have noticed the newer ones having a less precise fit in some instances. But the panel gaps on my 2001 are very tight and even all the way around. Much better than the Accords or Camrys I have seen.

If you think the Civic is not built well go look at a Chevy Malibu or Olds Intrigue or Buick Regal - cars that cost much more than a Civic.
Old 08-31-2003
Registered!!

Canadian plants are generaly known for excellent workmanship. But still, I dont see it being much better than the US assembly plant. Im going to compare the two with my friends sedan and my other friends SI Coupe. Maybe I havent looked close enough.
Old 08-31-2003
But it's a Dry Heat

l00pb4k is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: is it cuz our cars is cheap?

Originally posted by slamtank
or is it kinda normal with a cheap car like ours?
just curious..
Yes.
Old 09-03-2003
Registered!!

solar is an unknown quantity at this point
My 02 EX had a lot of fit and finish problems when I bought it new, after it was totalled I bought a 03 Si for the same price as I paid for my EX. The fit and finish on my Si is top notch, no rattles, all the materials seem like better quality. The Si is built in Europe, and my EX was built in Ohio, I don't know if that makes a difference but theres is a huge differce in quality, fit and finish, and ride, between the Si and EX.
Old 09-04-2003
Registered!!

Want to hear something funny? I was looking at my friends 2003 LX sedan and she has... Get this.... A FLY in her reverse lamp. Pretty funny! I'll try and get a picture some time. She has to remove the bulb and try and shake it out with the trunk up I guess.
Old 09-04-2003
Registered!!

lol..
i went to my honda dealer today and they had a used civic
02 coupe black and had some mods on it..
of course ricey ones..
um..it had a tyc tailight and when i looked close at it..
lol there were a LOT of mosquitos and some BEETLEs..lol
im serious..
i was like WTF..do they think about selling a car?
and u kno what..
it was in the showroom..lol
Old 09-05-2003
Registered!!

I think part of the problem is that the Civic uses a lot of lightweight materials, and that is due to achieving the gas mileage that the Civic gets. There are only about three cars in the size class that get the gas mileage around the Civic using regular gasoline engines, the Civic, Corolla, and the Focus. There are smaller cars that get better, but I really didn't find any others in my research.

There is a price to pay for that excellent mileage. Try putting a little weight on the armrest on the door. It feels like it will snap off. You can feel the whole door assembly giving way and probably will. Try that on an ordinary car like a Chevy or Dodge and you will get a solid response, that assembly is not moving.

I guess the flaws are necessary evils.

Last edited by Roosbok; 09-05-2003 at 10:02 PM.