Electrical Post information/questions/Issues about Electric parts here.

2013 Civic Check Airbag System

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Civic.Noob is an unknown quantity at this point
Question 2013 Civic Check Airbag System

Hello Everyone,
I am in need of some assistance. Two week ago I tried to remove my seats to wash the cat pee out (bought used and the owner had a very strong air freshener). I disconnected the battery (negative only), after 5 minutes I tried to remove the plugs under the passenger seat. I was able to get the white and blue ones off but struggled with the yellow. I gave up with the yellow one and just moved the seat around to get to the stain. Finished cleaning, plugged the blue and white back in and called it a day. During the week, the Check Airbag System notice pops up every other day or so, usually at the end of the drive when I was parking; only once when I started the car.
Last week, with a little more time and a lot more effort I was able to unplug the yellow wire (after unplugging the battery and waiting a few minutes). I got the seats out to fully clean things (still smells faintly like cat pee). The "Check Airbag System Light" did not turn back on until I was backing into the parking spot today. This makes 4 days without the message reappearing.
Any suggestions on what happened? I did kind of stretch on the yellow wire when I pulled the blue and white connecters through for more room and get a better grip. I hope I did not mess up one of the wires when I moved the seat to get to the stain (I feel unlike because I did not touch the clips keeping the wires attached to the seat so I should not have put any pressure on the wires. I read I may have to reset the airbag system if I took out the seats, but do not want to try that until I know for sure.

Any directions would be appreciated,
-Civic.Noob
Old 05-07-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,449 Likes on 1,203 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: 2013 Civic Check Airbag System

check the wires
plug/unplug a few times to see if not bad connection

Old 05-08-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,130 Likes on 944 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

If the warning light/message is not appearing then everything is ok according to the computer. If the light/message was on then that would mean that the air bag system is disabled. Next time try waiting at least 15 mins
Old 05-14-2021
Registered!!

Hello Sdaidoji and Colin42,
Thank you for your suggestions.
Since sdaidoji's suggestion, the warning appeared on three days. Sunday when I was moving the car to a different spot < 5 min drive moving the car (afternoon). On Monday nothing appeared on the morning drive but appeared after about 30 min home. Nothing on Tuesday. On Wednesday, drove fine in the morning 30 minutes but in the afternoon light appeared after <5 min of start. I was able to pull off the freeway and unplug and repluged before driving the rest of the way home. Did not appear Thursday.
I am sorry for not giving an update earlier, but the messages seems to only appear in the afternoon and it only appears once a day. Once I get the message, I am not really able to get the message to appear again on that day.
Thank you for your help,
Civic.Noob
Old 05-14-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

so basically you are not getting good connection.
have someone to check them for you
could even be cat pee caked in the connectors...
The following 2 users liked this post by sdaidoji:
Civic.Noob (05-14-2021), Colin42 (05-14-2021)
Old 05-14-2021

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
so basically you are not getting good connection.
have someone to check them for you
could even be cat pee caked in the connectors...
Agreed clean all the plugs really well
Old 05-14-2021
Registered!!

any suggestion what I should use?
Old 05-14-2021

Electrical contact cleaner
Old 06-12-2021
Registered!!

Hello,
I tried the electrical cleaner and still the error pops up. I have taken it to the mechanic but all he did was reset the code and on the drive home it reset. Took it to Honda and since the problem is spiritic, they partly knew they would be chasing ghosts in the wiring.
I bought a BludeDrive OBDII reader and scanned the system. I was able to pull the code B0002. I only unplugged the passenger seat then the Check Airbag System warning started appeared. With this new information, I did steam clean the center counsel that day. Do you think that could have gotten some moisture into the system?

Thank you,
-Calm.Noob

Last edited by Civic.Noob; 06-12-2021 at 09:59 AM.
Old 06-12-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Originally Posted by Civic.Noob
I did steam clean the center counsel that day. Do you think that could have gotten some moisture into the system?

Thank you,
-Calm.Noob
huh...

could?
maybe?

model your car in CAD, enter the day's temperature, humidity, wind speed, etc.
input the steamer data.
enter in a super computer. Run a simulation.

that will give you a probability of the moisture potentially causing issues or not

otherwise, you will need to test and run the car...

no idea if that will cause issues or not. no way to answer that question.