Brakes Post information/questions/Issues about Brakes here.

Extremely uneven brake rotor/pad wear

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2022
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
cadezerr is an unknown quantity at this point
Extremely uneven brake rotor/pad wear

I have a 2014 honda civic ex that I recently just put new rotors and brakes on all 4 sides. All was well except for the drivers side back brakes. There was quite a bit of noise and I noticed uneven wear so I tore them apart next time I could. Here are some pictures. I am not sure what went wrong or what could be wrong. All installed correctly, greased the slide pins, made sure piston went in and out freely. Is there something that could be bent? Warped rotors out of the box?

Thanks for any help.

Old 06-13-2022
Registered!!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Harry Hemi is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Extremely uneven brake rotor/pad wear

Did you hang the caliper by the hose during this repair? If not, someone could have done that before you and crushed the line. That could make it so fluid cant leave the caliper keeping it applied.
Old 06-13-2022
Registered!!

@Harry Hemi No, I've always had it resting on something, in this case there is also a bracket holding the hose in position so it will never be just hanging. The piston also is functioning fine, going out when I press the brakes.
Old 06-13-2022
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

Make sure the slide pin boots aren't damaged. Had a tear in one on my old TSX, and it caused one of my pins to seize over time.

Are you sure you seated the pads in properly? Rotors could be warped out of the box, though it's not super duper common.
Old 06-13-2022
Registered!!

@FRSam One of the boots has a slight tear in it that may cause it to seize eventually but right now they are both freely moving in and out with no problems. Pads are seated correctly, same as all 3 other sets I installed. I really am lost at what it could be. My best guess is that something may be bent out of place. I recently bought this car and it needed the brakes done badly so that was the first thing I did. So as far as history goes, I don't know too much.
Old 06-13-2022
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

It may have been getting stuck. I'd probably replace the boot and try again.
Old 06-13-2022
Registered!!

@FRSam I wish it were that easy lol. This is the 3rd or 4th time I've torn it apart since I noticed the brakes. Each time checking the pins/piston and regreasing them. I am confident those aren't getting stuck.
Old 06-13-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

bed the brakes. It's common to see the center not getting enough contact at first, especially the rears
Old 06-13-2022
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,456 Likes on 1,207 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

the outer portion have a faster linear speed than the center, it tends to push the "leading" edge of the pads forward when braking. Any play will make the pads touch more at the outer circumference.
on the other hand, when a rotor have been used longer, the outer will be thinner than the center (more wear), but you said your rotors are new, so not the case
Old 06-14-2022
Super Moderator

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,335 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

My rears had some uneven wear, similar to yours. I fixed it with some heavy braking at an autocross event.
The following users liked this post:
sdaidoji (06-14-2022)
Old 04-22-2023
Registered!!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
digger is an unknown quantity at this point

Could the guide pins (with the flat sides) been switched?