Wheels, Tires & Brakes Modifications Post Wheel, Tire & Brake related modification information and/or questions here

DC2-R brakes installed

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
DC2-R brakes installed

Thanks much to Boilermaker1 for all your patient pm advice! Shifty helped me with the install...OK he pretty much did it all.
I found this mod on Honda-Tech one night and it turned out to be Boilermaker1 who wrote the review, so I thought I'd try it out. After much more reading and stumbling upon a set of cheap OEM ITR calipers, I called up my friend mr pigeon (he's on here too) to get me a set of KVR 11.1" slotted rotors and CF pads for the DC2-R application. The rotors were 4x114.3, but not the ITR application due to a difference in hub size, from what I read on H-T. I asked pigeon to get me the 92-95(not exactly sure of the year but THAT generation, whatever) VTEC Prelude rotors. Did some grinding to the inside of the bracket just like BM1, then my friend Tim (vtec_concept) and I painted them and they popped right on today with Shifty's help. Some pics:

Wish it was still light out so I could get a good shot but I think you can compare the LOOKS of these compared to stock with these shots:

Old:

New:

Still breaking in the new rotors and pads, review coming soon after some spirited driving.
Old 05-29-2006
New Mod on the Block

Rennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond reputeRennen has a reputation beyond repute
sweet.
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

DDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of lightDDragon7 is a glorious beacon of light
Nice.
Old 05-29-2006
Life is better with 5lug

HondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to all
awesomeness.....Ive got the calipers, just searching fpr rotors now.....
Old 05-29-2006
Registered!!

blackdragon will become famous soon enoughblackdragon will become famous soon enough
wuts your feedback on your new upgrade
Old 05-29-2006
Yes, it's an Acura EL

TeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to allTeLLy is a name known to all
Thanks for the compliments guys. I got to open up a little bit because yet again I was late for work this morning - I always seem to be late the day after a brake install. Anyhoo stopping power is at least as good as my old OEM-sized KVR rotors and pads when they were broken in and bedded, so I can expect these things to only get better. A little noisier than stock of course, but that's to be expected, at least they don't squeak.
HondaKorn, I suggest contacting mr. pigeon (he's a member of this site) and ask him about shipping a set of rotors and pads over, tell him TeLLy sent you.
Old 05-29-2006
"mmmBAHHHH" - vtec y0

mugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond reputemugenman has a reputation beyond repute
looks hot.....might have to do that for a brake upgrade. will the rears fit with a rear disc conversion
Old 05-29-2006
Yes, it's an Acura EL

IMO rears are less consequential, just go bolt-on and pop the EP3 ones on. However I seem to remember people putting NSX rear calipers on their integras with a custom bracket. I don't see why a similarly styled custom bracket for our cars wouldn't make it fit. Boilermaker, can you back this up?
Old 05-30-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
you can use NSX rears as an upgrade (OR ITR for that matter, I believe they're identical, sans the 'NSX' cast into the floating assembly), Fastbrakes sells the kit, its about $250. You gain little to nothing because its a ~4.5:1 front to back bias so aside from being able to paint the 'NSX' red and show off your rear calipers, its useless from a function standpoint.... so just stick with the bolt on and go EP3 setup.
Old 05-30-2006
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Thanks bro, and again thanks for the help with my upgrade!
Old 05-30-2006
Living Life Turn After Turn

04civic07 will become famous soon enough04civic07 will become famous soon enough
does this happen to be that exact DC2R conversion kit at Fastbrake?
Old 05-31-2006
Yes, it's an Acura EL

That's the one. Mine cost about half that when you factor in conversion, and that includes the money I paid for the grinding discs (4.5" angle grinder was gift from wifey's brother) and a pair of dremel grinding bits to get to the upper inside section of the caliper bracket. Also I already have stainless lines so you can shave that cost off the kit. It's easily-enough pieced together, the $$ is for the convenience of getting it all in one shot.

pigeon (a member on this site) and I used my install as a sort of prototype of a KVR version of this kit that he will soon be selling from his site, it's essentially what I have - OEM ITR calipers (hopefully already pre-machined), KVR DC2-R carbon fiber brake pads, and KVR 92-96 VTEC Prelude application calipers (for hub compatibility), slotted/drilled AND coated, with the 4x114.3 bolt holes "stretched" inwards so as to make the rotors fit a 4x100 hub. See the cam fone pic I took during the install for how the holes were stretched:

Please excuse the filthy coilovers, those are getting some TLC this weekend.

Last edited by TeLLy; 05-31-2006 at 02:47 AM.
Old 05-31-2006
Jap-Euro Fusion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Boilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to beholdBoilermaker1 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by TeLLy
That's the one. Mine cost about half that when you factor in conversion, and that includes the money I paid for the grinding discs (4.5" angle grinder was gift from wifey's brother) and a pair of dremel grinding bits to get to the upper inside section of the caliper bracket. Also I already have stainless lines so you can shave that cost off the kit. It's easily-enough pieced together, the $$ is for the convenience of getting it all in one shot.

pigeon (a member on this site) and I used my install as a sort of prototype of a KVR version of this kit that he will soon be selling from his site, it's essentially what I have - OEM ITR calipers (hopefully already pre-machined), KVR DC2-R carbon fiber brake pads, and KVR 92-96 VTEC Prelude application calipers (for hub compatibility), slotted/drilled AND coated, with the 4x114.3 bolt holes "stretched" inwards so as to make the rotors fit a 4x100 hub. See the cam fone pic I took during the install for how the holes were stretched:

Please excuse the filthy coilovers, those are getting some TLC this weekend.

Just a tip if whoever you know is planning on making these en mass... don't slot the holes, drill the new pattern between the old pattern. Its easier on the wheel studs to load them all the way around.
Old 05-31-2006
El Pinche Turbo Mexicano

CivicMexicano is an unknown quantity at this point
So we can use 92-95 prelude rotos, just have to make a new bolt pattern in them??

cool..
Old 05-31-2006
Yes, it's an Acura EL

Originally Posted by Boilermaker1
Just a tip if whoever you know is planning on making these en mass... don't slot the holes, drill the new pattern between the old pattern. Its easier on the wheel studs to load them all the way around.
Good point, thanks BM1. I don't track my car so the brake system doesn't get as stressed as yours so I'm not worried, but I will pass it on to pigeon - he's a bit of a performance and track junkie himself. His reasoning for stretching was more to preserve rotor integrity but we never once thought about the studs....damn n00bs, LOL.
Old 06-02-2006
Its a celebration bitches!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
HondaLuver will become famous soon enough
so the rotor size is 11.09 inches?

Just if anybody doesn't know stock civic is 10.25 and stock Type S rsx is 11.8
Old 06-02-2006
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
so here is a dumb question. if these are that close to type s will they fit a stock wheel? or a 15" custom wheel
Old 06-02-2006
Yes, it's an Acura EL

The ITR front upgrade will fit most if not all 15's, I imagine as long as offset on the custom wheel doesn't deviate too much from OEM then that'll fit too.

I'll be test-fitting my 15" stock EL "turtle" rims on the car next weekend, cause if they DON'T fit then I have to buy another set of 16" winters.
Old 06-03-2006
Life is better with 5lug

HondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to allHondaKorn is a name known to all
Originally Posted by djmota
so here is a dumb question. if these are that close to type s will they fit a stock wheel? or a 15" custom wheel
they will b/c the type-r comes with 15's and a 40 offset....
Old 06-04-2006
up-up-down-down-left-right-left-right-b-a-b-a-start

R1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of lightR1Style is a glorious beacon of light
yup... and GSR Blades came with a +45 offset in a 15" wheel.
Old 06-06-2006
Premium Member

djmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nicedjmota is just really nice
cool thanks for the info