Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

New axle seal leaking

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2021
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
joenobodyyet is an unknown quantity at this point
New axle seal leaking

I have a 2008 Civic LX automatic sedan with 107,000 miles. A few months ago I installed new CV axles and brand new seals where the axle shaft enters the transmission. The driver's side axle seal (National brand 710314) seems to be leaking because reddish fluid is leaking where the seal is onto the shiny metal where the axle enters the transmission. It also looks like the fluid is splashing in that area (I assume from the rotation of the axle shaft). I removed the axle and removed the new seal, then I put it back in. I made it as flush as I could with the outer part of the transmission. But it's still leaking. Should the seal be pushed in more? Should the seal be pulled out a hair? I just don't want to keep taking this apart and putting it back together and continuing to have a transmission fluid leak. I did not grease the seal but I did put transmission fluid on the outer and inner part edges of the axle seal. Should I use a grease? What grease? I have sil-glyde. Any tips on this seal leak would be appreciated! Thanks!
Old 03-25-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,902 Likes on 1,339 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: New axle seal leaking

I tried National brand axle seals once and didn't have good luck with them. I would recommend Honda genuine seals. Also make sure there are no gouges in the transmission case or on the axle.
The following users liked this post:
joenobodyyet (03-25-2021)
Old 03-25-2021
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
joenobodyyet is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll check to make sure I didn't gouge the transmission case and I'll check the axle too. I got a new National seal, but if this doesn't work then I'll get one from the Honda dealership I guess. Should I add grease? What kind of grease? I see that people sometimes add grease, but I have no idea what kind, and I figured I don't want grease getting into the transmission. Thanks
Old 03-25-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,902 Likes on 1,339 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

It should have grease on the inside of the seal that touches the axle. The Honda ones have grease already there and I never add more, not sure if the National brand ones do or not. Not sure on the type of grease.