Transmission Post your issues with Transmissions here! Transmission covers from Flywheel, Clutch, Transmission, Axles.

Transmission Fluid Temperature - What's "Normal"?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Atarian is an unknown quantity at this point
Transmission Fluid Temperature - What's "Normal"?

2012 Civic LX. As you are all aware the instrumentation is lacking in this model. It's the wife's car who could care less, but the omission of a coolant gauge is pretty weak.

Installed the ScanGauge II (BTW an excellent product) and am monitoring coolant temperature and transmission fluid temperature, among other items. Coolant temp runs from about 185 degrees F to 195 or so. Once it hits around 195 it drops down to 185, then creeps up again and repeats. I assume this is the thermostat opening and closing. Transmission temperature hangs out around 180 degrees F when fully warmed, rising a bit in traffic or in the hilly terrain common around here, dropping to maybe 175 on the highway with the cruise set to 65 MPH. Since this car is mainly driven on short trips (less than 10 miles) I drain/fill the trans fluid every oil change, which is about every 8 months/5k miles, using Honda ATF DW-1. Coolant drain/fill once a year.

Question: Is a trans temp of 180 degree F about normal? It seems high but the only thing I have to compare it to is my 2017 Colorado diesel work truck. That fine POS reports a trans fluid temp of around 145 to 150. It does have a tow package with a trans cooler. Transmission (in the Civic) shifts smoothly - no problems there. Currently has 78k miles.

Thanks for any replies.