Fuel, Oil, Cleaners & Other Maintenance Extending the life of your Civic requires the proper fuel, oil, and cleaners, along with other regularly scheduled maintenance.

When to have the transmission serviced

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
debodun is an unknown quantity at this point
When to have the transmission serviced

My 2002 LX sedan has never had any transmission work. It now has 125,000+ miles. I am surprised the dealership did not mentioned it when I was there several times recently for service. I was looking for info online and some places say it needs "special" tranny fluid which is not available at a local mom & pop garage. Is this true? How long does transmission service take and about how much should I expect it to cost?
Old 07-24-2017
The legs in the public bathroom stall

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
mcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to beholdmcnoople is a splendid one to behold
Re: When to have the transmission serviced

Is is an automatic or manual? Either trans the service should only take 30 minutes or so and cost will vary but I would expect between $120-200 usd. Are you sure that you have never had the service performed? It is frequently rolled into service packages such as a 30,000 mile service. Honda generally specified 30,000 mile intervals for trans fluid in those years. At that age and mileage every fluid on the car should have been changed at least once and a few other age related items as well. Here is a example of the intervals.

trans every 30,000
coolant every 10 years or 120,000
brake fluid every 3 years regardless of miles
Power steering is never actually listed with an interval
spark plugs at 105,000
Timing belt every 7 years or 105,000 miles
Old 07-24-2017
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
debodun is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mcnoople
Is is an automatic or manual?
Automatic.

I asked about it once when I got to 100K miles and the service advisor said I wasn't due for a while, then it just skipped my mind.
Old 07-24-2017
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debodun
Automatic.

I asked about it once when I got to 100K miles and the service advisor said I wasn't due for a while, then it just skipped my mind.
IMO first check your transmission fluid level, color, and smell. Then check your service records to see if trans fluid has ever been billed on your receipts.

If it has been serviced, we usually recommend a drain and fill every 30k as already mentioned. Continue with that, do it if it's due.

If it's never been serviced, yesterday is a great time to start. If it's never been serviced in 125k, I'd suggest doing drain and fills at least 3 times over a short time to get the majority of the fluid replaced. You could do a trans fluid service with each of your next few oil changes if that's more convenient.

Do NOT go to a JizzyLube type place and do NOT use chemicals nor a machine to flush your transmission.
Do use Hondas DW1 trans fluid. Each drain and fill will take a bit less than 3 quarts, and it's probably easier than changing your own oil if you want to DIY it.