Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Runs/ Drives then dies

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2023
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
13Legion is an unknown quantity at this point
Runs/ Drives then dies

I have an 06 Civic 170,000 miles. Engine light went on diagnosed twice as being cat failure. Cat replaced,EGR, up/downstream sensors, plugs and coils. Car drove ( no check engine) but died out after 2 mile drive. Crank but no start. Had battery and alternator tested both good. Car started and driven again same issue, died. Let set for awhile started again but rough idle. Let it run ten minutes in driveway and finally died. Tried to restart just cranks. Checked to see if anything seemed loose or unplugged. Don’t want to fire parts cannon, where do I start here? Thanks for any input. Car ran fine before Cat and tune up, just had check engine light on.
Old 12-22-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Runs/ Drives then dies

reread codes
green key flashing?
Old 12-23-2023
Registered!!

Ok. I let sit overnight. When I started today. It cranked then started with rough idle. After doing more research yesterday I was thinking possible blown head gasket. There was excessive white smoke coming from exhaust. I checked oil, clean all good. I checked radiator it was low. Car still running rough, but no check engine light. Was thinking the car ran fine before cat change. Idle was great just check engine on. Decided(why not) bought some Ks stop leak and poured in radiator. Started car up ran for about 10 minutes. Excessive white smoke but started to clear, engine idle still kind of rough but stayed running. Car dies. Viola, check engine line pops on. Run scanner 0400 EGR. Took off EGR. A piece of metal was lodged inside keeping plunger from moving.Pretty sure this is what was causing idle/stall problem. Cleaned and reinstalled. Car fired up. Normal idle. No check engine. Drove car for about 1/2 hour. No issues. Filled up tank put some gum out injector cleaner in for good measure. I think the catalytic converter change caused this. The added pressure on the engine system caused a head gasket leak. It may have been able to run ok prior because of the old compromised cat. The engine was under less load. I think I got lucky odds of catching a head gasket leak the first day. I know that this Ks may not cure all here. Now my work car is back up and running normal. Has anyone used this product? Thanks!
Old 12-23-2023
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

change coolant asap - stop leak makes a mess of the system.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (12-24-2023)
Old 12-23-2023
Registered!!

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
change coolant asap - stop leak makes a mess of the system.
Will do! Thank you