Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

06 civic ex coupe. Help please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2022
Ykwtfgo96

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ykwtfgo96 is an unknown quantity at this point
06 civic ex coupe. Help please.

First post, normally I scan through to find my answers, unfortunately the issue at hand has become a little specific. This car was given to me 2-3 months ago. A little over 160,000 miles and owned by someone who just did not maintain it properly. I was raised by a mechanic fortunately. First problem was my a/c compressor pulley bearings and purge valve solenoid. Being a single mom, in Washington, to save money and no need for a/c often I decided to just bypass the compressor all together with standard belt size. I did check all pulleys with the belt off using a stethoscope. Once I got a closer look I saw the passenger side motor mount had collapsed (only drove the car home at this point) so I decided to go ahead and replace all mounts. No big deal. Got the new belt on. And yet another noise. Which I found to be the tensioner pulley. With a car this old and miles, of course, I replaced my tensioner. Also found oil in 2 of my coil pack/ spark plug wells (on the top end, not around the threads of the plugs) but it wasn't much. Replaced spark plugs and coil packs with OEM products. As well as my valve cover gasket, and then also power steering fluid. Oil and transmission fluids seemed to be in good condition and at correct levels. After all of this. I find a what I would call a click coming from engine. Did some online searching before going back in I think it needs a valve adjustment. I drove it last night possibly a little further than seemed suitable. But it threw a code and the ticking is now faster. I don't have an obd myself or a feeler gauge. The parts store is a mile away. After online searching videos and everything. I'm scared the timing belt was the original problem. . . . . The car starts. And will drive. Am I okay to take it a mile and back. Do I bite the bullet and walk? Any tips would be greatly appreciate. Sorry for the novel.
Old 05-28-2022
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all
Re: 06 civic ex coupe. Help please.

These cars have a chain not a belt, no need to worry about that. Could just be valve tick, wouldn't hurt to check the clearances
The following users liked this post:
Ykwtfgo96 (05-28-2022)
Old 05-28-2022

Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

You can get a Bluetooth code reader from Amazon for under $20
Old 05-28-2022
Ykwtfgo96

Originally Posted by Colin42
These cars have a chain not a belt, no need to worry about that. Could just be valve tick, wouldn't hurt to check the clearances
Okay. So have i lost my mind? There's no chain? And Ive already replaced the valve cover gasket myself. My plan is to do a valve adjustment. But I don't have the feeler gauge to do it with. AutoZone is literally a mile away. But with the click being faster. I was nervous to drive it. Is driving it an insane idea? I wouldn't mind walking. But if I can get the code read there and not have to find someone to watch my son it would be a win win. I just don't want to do more damage than what's already there
Old 05-28-2022
Click Here

Received 1,157 Likes on 904 Posts
FRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of lightFRSam is a glorious beacon of light

It should be fine driving a short distance, but it sounds like it might be beyond a valve adjustment. I would still try that first. There's definitely a timing chain and not a timing belt.
Old 05-28-2022

The timing chain is behind the timing cover, the belt on the outside is the accessory/serpentine belt. 2 different things. You can get the feeler gauges on Amazon as well, plus the valve adjustment tool. It looks like a screwdriver with an extra handle
Old 05-28-2022
Ykwtfgo96

Just to update. I got a obd2 and the tools from a neighbor. wish me luck. I'll update with a code and hopefully a succesful adjustment soon.
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (05-28-2022)
Old 05-30-2022
Ykwtfgo96

Old 05-30-2022
Ykwtfgo96

The timing chain is behind the timing cover, the belt on the outside is the accessory/serpentine belt. 2 different things. You can get the feeler gauges on Amazon as well, plus the valve adjustment tool. It looks like a screwdriver with an extra handle
Originally Posted by FRSam
It should be fine driving a short distance, but it sounds like it might be beyond a valve adjustment. I would still try that first. There's definitely a timing chain and not a timing belt.
So I did the adjustment. All are at spec. The timing chain is in the right place. But the code on the above picture have been the same code after replacing the purge valve and checking the hose. I'm lifting the back end now to check other hoses and canister valve itself.
Old 05-30-2022
Ykwtfgo96

Originally Posted by FRSam
So I did the adjustment. All are at spec. The timing chain is in the right place. But the code on the above picture have been the same code after replacing the purge valve and checking the hose. I'm lifting the back end now to check other hoses and canister valve itself.
Old 05-30-2022

Check the wiring for the evap stuff, might have broken/chewed wires, or corrosion (green death).
Still ticking? Maybe get a video of the sound. Just post it to YouTube as unlisted and then share the link here.
Old 05-30-2022
Ykwtfgo96

Check the wiring for the evap stuff, might have broken/chewed wires, or corrosion (green death).
Still ticking? Maybe get a video of the sound. Just post it to YouTube as unlisted and then share the link here.
So. Genuinely I think I just found the problem. But not sure.how.to explain. After you brought up wiring. Any chance you would be willing to talk to me. I'll send number in a message. If not, understood. It's just a lot to explain
Old 05-31-2022

Replied to your pm