6th Generation Civic 1996 - 2000 In the years from 1996 to 2000 Honda released it's 6th Generation Civic.
Chassis codes: EK9, EK4, EK3, EJ6, EJ8, EJ9, EM1

Old Faithful Needs Attention

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2009
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evans96 is an unknown quantity at this point
Old Faithful Needs Attention

Hello, new to the forum here and my goal is to keep my car running forever. I have a 1996 EX 5spd coupe (all stock). It is only my 2nd car ever and Its been my daily driver since 1999 when i bought it with 20,500 miles. I am totally attached to it and will not part with it until it is not worth fixing. It has been through alot and been hit on 3 out of 4 sides by random idiots that dont know how to drive

This may sound unbelievable but it has 242,000 miles with the ORIGINAL CLUTCH!! It also has the ORIGINAL DRUM BRAKES!! Im new to the forum, but is this as uncommon as I think it is?

The only things I've done to it: 1. regular oil changes
2. 3 tune-ups
3. 3rd exhaust (should have got stainless)
4. 3rd slave cylinder
5. CV boot ripped and repaired
6. new radiator
7. couple front brake jobs w/rotors

The problem, if you want to call it that, is that it also has the ORIGINAL TIMING BELT!!

I have a Haynes manual that Ive used to do everything so far, but the timing belt replacement looks complicated. Can anyone tell me about how bad it actually is or lead me in the right direction? The car runs fine but I don't want the timing belt to snap its time to do it.
Old 10-01-2009
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Old Faithful Needs Attention

yeah if you are not comfortable, i advise going to a good shop. just be sure to use the honda coolant and honda parts. its a pretty big job that you dont wanna mess up.
Old 10-01-2009
Registered!!

hb pickup is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Evan, U just reminded me mine's about due again. Dang your car's been good to U! Mine's had the speedo go out (pretty much) @118k, & the heater core puked up a couple years ago & now the CEL's on for a catconv. For the timing belt chg that bigass nut-shaped holding tool for turning the crank pulley was a must-have. Worked best for me on a long extension thru the inside fender hole all the way to the outside of the body with a bigass ratchet (but I'm weak). Make sure you got all the pulleys lined up for #1TDC before pulling the belt & recheck after installing and after tensioning too. Before putting the valve cover back on check your valve clearance. Clean up the head & valve cover real well where the gasket seats, especially the corners where it curves over the cam, and use a noncorrosive RTV for no leaks. I'd replace the gasket @ the mileage U got too.
Old 10-07-2009
Registered!!

sql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of lightsql_civic is a glorious beacon of light

I would change that TB ASAP. I had one break on me after 90,000 miles luckily with no adverse affects. I don't think that changing a TB is that hard at all on a SOHC. But if you're only experienced at doing oil changes and spark plugs you best have someone else do it. Often local garages or dealers have specials.

Last edited by sql_civic; 10-07-2009 at 06:06 AM.
Old 10-07-2009
Registered!!

OCDjG will become famous soon enough

Dude you're playing with fire here. The TB & water pump replacement is the single biggest maintenance item that you need to worry about at 100k. From my understanding of it, its not all that simple. Go to a trusted mechanic and have them do this service for you. It should run you between $400-$600 for the entire job including parts.