Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Crankshaft seal removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2021
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Avejoe1977 is an unknown quantity at this point
Crankshaft seal removal

Attempting to fix some leaks in my wife's 8th gen 2013 Honda civic lx 1.8l

Couple questions.

​​​​​​1. Anyone have any tips for a stubborn crankshaft seal?
I've torn at it a couple times out of frustration when the removal tool I got at HF didn't work. She's really stuck in there. Any sprays recommended or rewetting it with oil?

2. When trying to remove it I apparently caught a little spring that was behind it. Didn't see it listed in any videos or forums I'd gone through before attempting to remove the seal.

Any know what the spring is called so I can get a replacement once I actually get the seal off?
Old 11-15-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

Received 1,450 Likes on 1,204 Posts
sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of
Re: Crankshaft seal removal

some seals have a spring inside
The following users liked this post:
Colin42 (11-15-2021)
Old 11-15-2021
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,131 Likes on 945 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sdaidoji
some seals have a spring inside
Yeah that's part of the seal, use small picks and be careful
Old 11-16-2021
Registered!!

So this is where it stands at the moment.
including some photos.

Pretty torn up. Tried the hook on a handle that I saw guys use on YouTube to remove the seal and had no luck.

The picked up and tried the one with the screw in the center but can get a hold of the seal now.

Any thoughts?

I'm assuming the metal ring behind the seal is not part of a seal and should not be damaged?

Any advice?

Old 11-16-2021
Super Moderator

Received 1,877 Likes on 1,322 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

The last time I removed a crank seal I used a pick with a hook. I think I also used a small flat head screwdriver to pry it out. You just don't want to scratch the part on the crank where the seal touches, same with the block side where the seal sits.
Old 11-16-2021
Administrator
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!
Administrator

Received 1,156 Likes on 806 Posts
xRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond reputexRiCeBoYx has a reputation beyond repute

Last time I did a crank seal, I carefully drove a self tapping screw into the seal and carefully yanked it out with pliers.
bachands (11-26-2021)
Old 11-16-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

sdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud ofsdaidoji has much to be proud of

yeah, that looks like a spring inside a seal - when you get a new one, you will find it there.
the seal have been there for 8 years, it likes its house :P
They are painful to pull out because they are designed to not get out, sorry...
Old 11-16-2021
Registered!!

So the seal has a little metal ring that it's sitting on.

Is that part of the seal or is that what the seal is resting on to hold it in place?
Old 11-16-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

the seal is one piece comprised of the metal ring with the rubber coating and the spring inside
get a new one and you will know what we mean.
Old 11-17-2021
Super Moderator

BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Metal ring helps the seal hold shape when pressed in.
Old 11-17-2021
Registered!!

Gotcha, so I can pry against it and not just the rubber of the seal.

Was afraid it might be part of the casing or something and didn't want to press on it
Old 11-17-2021
PITA Admin
Administrator

https://www.victorreinz.com/en/servi...on.aspx?region
BrotatoChip (11-17-2021)
Old 11-17-2021
Super Moderator

Good pics there.

Yes you can pry against it. Again, just don't gouge the surface it seals to on the engine or it will leak.
Old 11-26-2021
Registered!!

Received 81 Likes on 62 Posts
bachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nicebachands is just really nice

Originally Posted by xRiCeBoYx
Last time I did a crank seal, I carefully drove a self tapping screw into the seal and carefully yanked it out with pliers.
This is probably the best method to pull out the seal if conventional methods aren't working.