Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

08 Not starting after battery replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2020
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dano84 is an unknown quantity at this point
08 Not starting after battery replacement

Hi, I recently purchased and 08 civic. I drove it for about 10 days with no problems. I went to to start it one cold morning after not driving it for a few days and it cranked but wouldn't turn over. I hopped in my other car and didn't come back to the civic for a week. This time it was in the afternoon on a sunny day so cold wasn't a factor and I got the same result, decent crank but no turnover. The battery was 4 years old with a little corrosion so I decided to just go buy a new one. After installing the new battery I was hoping it'd fire right up. No luck. It was actually cranking less than the old battery and after a few tries, now not cranking at all. Power seems to be getting the the vehicle just fine as all electrical inside works just fine. Not sure if I have a starter issue? Is it possible I messed up the terminals when I cleaned them with a metal file (fairly lightly) and I just need to replace those?
Old 02-12-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,335 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of
Re: 08 Not starting after battery replacement

Originally Posted by Dano84
it cranked but wouldn't turn over
Crank and turn over mean the same thing, you're contradicting yourself. So you're saying it's cranking but just won't start? If you turn the key to the ignition position do you hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds?
Old 02-12-2020
Registered!!

Apologies, I always assumed turn over meant the car actually starting. I can hear the fuel pump run for a few seconds when turning the key. I went out this morning and tried to start and was getting a very feint crank, barely any.
Old 02-12-2020
Super Moderator

Received 1,895 Likes on 1,335 Posts
BrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud ofBrotatoChip has much to be proud of

Sounds like the battery is now dead from being cranked for so long, you will likely need to charge it before testing some more.

Try cranking with the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor.
Old 02-12-2020
"Marge, anyone could miss Canada! All tucked away down there."

Received 1,138 Likes on 952 Posts
Colin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to allColin42 is a name known to all

could be the new battery was bad from the store, i've had it happen
Old 02-12-2020
Registered!!

I am wondering if the new battery might be bad since I went from a decent crank to almost nothing after I put the new battery in but have never had an issue with a new battery before. I've had the old battery on a charger for 14 hours and going to put it back in tomorrow and see what it does. I did test both batteries with a multimeter, and after a short time on the charger the old one was putting out more than the new one.