Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

Slow Acceleration High RPM

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kapeltzer is an unknown quantity at this point
Slow Acceleration High RPM

I have a 2006 civic ex. I have about 120K+ miles on her and yes they were all provided by me and 98% highway. My alternator just went out a couple weeks ago and was replaced by my husband, I keep up on my oild changes and I am due for one now so my little wrench is on. But on my way home yesterday I had my cruise on and had to slow down and it started to wig out a little bit. So I turned it off and drove without it on, but realized that my RPM's were going to about 5 and they should have been at 2.5 then they would drop and go back up and then level out.

This morning on my way to work i was getting on the freeway and in 4th accelerating as usual and she was at about 40mph and the RPM sky rocket to 5-6 then back down and UP then down and level out... get into fifth just fine, no problems. Me not knowing anything about engines I thought it could be fuel injectors or the coil packs. I talked to someone else and they said it could be the speed sensor and my hubby thought it was the clutch. I am going to get a diagnostics test this afternoon. But if it is the speed sensor or clutch are those easy enough to fix.

My hubby just did the engine on his 72 chevelle and he is mechanically inclined but a Honda isnt a Chevy and its super compact in there ....besides beast likes to bite people that touch her engine parts.

Any ideas on what this could be and would it be fairly easy to fix.

Thanks!
Old 07-28-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kapeltzer is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: Slow Acceleration High RPM

Super awesome diagnostics came back clear ....so it must be the clutch....funny thing though Called and spoke to a Honda Mech. and he had no idea off the top of his head as to what it was
Old 07-28-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
gearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond reputegearbox has a reputation beyond repute
Re: Slow Acceleration High RPM

might also be a bad TPS (throttle position sensor) on the throttle body which would cause erratic and random rpm revs. check engine light would be on tho if that were the case.