Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

2007 civic coupe HUMMING FEELING/SOUND when first starting the car

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2011
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Szahid1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Cool 2007 civic coupe HUMMING FEELING/SOUND when first starting the car

Well ive noticed the car has a pretty loud humming sound when started after being off about 4-5 hours. its been cold lik 15-35 in nyc and i havnt had the car long enuff to experience how it is during warmer weather.

Cara around 1500 rpm and the soun dies out in about 15-20 sec tops as the rpms come down. It wont sound like that again no matter how many times i turn on off after its warmed up.

Is this normal or is there something going on, hoping some1 has heard of this issue b4??

Last edited by Szahid1; 01-15-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 01-16-2011
Premium Member
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz ErthangTRIZ Ownz Erthang
Re: 2007 civic coupe HUMMING FEELING/SOUND when first starting the car

When you first start the car, the fuel pump comes on and makes a buzzing sound for the first few seconds and then cuts out, it usually stops a few seconds after the key-in-the-ignition-but-not-started-position beeping stops.
Old 01-16-2011
Registered!!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Exactly how many seconds does the sound last? The fuel pump should quite priming after 2-5 seconds. If it's any longer it may be a sticking relay.
Old 01-16-2011
Registered!!

So i started it this morning Ndthe sound lasted forna total of about 20 sec and then jus dies gradyually an everything is normal, this only happens with the caR started after engine is cold. Cant seem to put my finger on it. Anything i should worry about? Car runs and drives gr8 so i cant find any connectjon
Old 01-16-2011
Registered!!

lazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud oflazlong has much to be proud of

Wow, I don't know. I've heard a whine from the interior lights before as they automatically dim to off. That's the only other thing I can think of besides a sticking fuel pump relay. I would say if the sound doesn't bother you and it runs/drives fine you should be ok.
Old 01-16-2011
Registered!!

Just talked to a buddy and he said that it could the starter. Sometimes the starter will disengage but, continue to spin. Nothing for that except to replace the worn starter. You should be ok unless it starts grinding.
Old 01-16-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by lazlong
Just talked to a buddy and he said that it could the starter. Sometimes the starter will disengage but, continue to spin. Nothing for that except to replace the worn starter. You should be ok unless it starts grinding.

Hey lazlong thanks alot for looking into this thibg for me i appreciate it, so u think i should just let it ride huh till it gets worse? , i dont think its doing any harm or does it?
Old 01-16-2011
Registered!!

Naw, just let it ride unless you have grinding or drivability problems.
Old 01-18-2011
Registered!!

Carter420 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Szahid1
Well ive noticed the car has a pretty loud humming sound when started after being off about 4-5 hours. its been cold lik 15-35 in nyc and i havnt had the car long enuff to experience how it is during warmer weather.

Cara around 1500 rpm and the soun dies out in about 15-20 sec tops as the rpms come down. It wont sound like that again no matter how many times i turn on off after its warmed up.

Is this normal or is there something going on, hoping some1 has heard of this issue b4??
How many miles does your engine have on it? And are u running the k20 or the r18?
Old 01-28-2011
Registered!!

Originally Posted by Carter420
How many miles does your engine have on it? And are u running the k20 or the r18?

Well the engine Nd trans bith hav 60k noe, im not sure about the k20 or r18, how would i know? Its like a humm that only kinda sounds that way when the rpm are at a certain spot once forst strated After engines cold, aroud 1500