Engine Post your engine related problems in this section. Engines will cover from Fuel, Engine, Cooling, Exhaust physical related items.

New honda civic 2010 having starting problems?

Old 08-08-2012
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wendymitchell62 is an unknown quantity at this point
Re: New honda civic 2010 having starting problems?

2009 Civic is my son's car he will be leaving for Afganistan soon. I am keeping his car for him until he comes back, I can't get it to start at all for two days, it wants to kick over but just won't start. I am reading alot of the postings and it appears these complaints are more of no kick over at all. I have tried to wait to try to start it letting all the lights and buzz's come on and still will not start.
Old 08-09-2012
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

^^^ When it fails to start is the green key icon flashing by chance ?? (immobilzer)
Old 09-08-2012
Registered!!

Jaymoon89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wendymitchell62
2009 Civic is my son's car he will be leaving for Afganistan soon. I am keeping his car for him until he comes back, I can't get it to start at all for two days, it wants to kick over but just won't start. I am reading alot of the postings and it appears these complaints are more of no kick over at all. I have tried to wait to try to start it letting all the lights and buzz's come on and still will not start.
Have you tried jumping it? Yes, our complaints are more of a no kick, intermittent problem.
Old 09-08-2012
Registered!!

Jaymoon89 is an unknown quantity at this point

Also,
Is the green key light supposed to flash a few times after you turn off the car and remove the key?
Old 09-08-2012
If you think a good mechanic is expensive, try hiring a bad one

Received 250 Likes on 182 Posts
ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaymoon89
Also,
Is the green key light supposed to flash a few times after you turn off the car and remove the key?
Yes.
It is explained in the owners manual.
Old 03-22-2013
Registered!!

gauthier.miller is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought a new 2010 civic sedan sport - automatic transmission. The same day that I drove it off the lot, I was questioning its performance. As a result, I returned to the dealer with my concerns. At that time, there seemed to be transmission issues. Of course, nothing was found... I have owned this car going on three years now, and for two of them, there has been a starting issue... The battery has been tested, the alternator, has been tested, and a software update has been made... I also left my overnight, so the dealer could experience the starting problem... Nothing discovered!.. The service desk associate suggested that I turn the key to the on position, wait until all the gauges are set in place before turning it over... Seriously? I have NEVER had to operate a vehicle using this method before - let alone a brand new one! Would the Honda sales representatives share this information with an interested buyer while making the deal? "Oh, by the way... You must turn the key, wait for 1 minute, then start the car. It should start then" I DON'T THINK SO. I am extremely frusterated and disappointed with Honda. I believe in the quality of their brand; however, i am being let down. I have contacted customer service about the starting problem, wo they could assist me in solving it. Unfortunately, customer service connected with the dealer that I am associated with to find out there hasn't been a problem detected. My next appraoch will be to record a live attempt of me starting the vehicle to bring forth to the dealer and to leave the car with them until it is repaired. Wish me luck!
Old 10-31-2013
Registered!!

resume-writer is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a Honda Civic 2010 (expired warranty), 35,000 miles. I have a similar problem. All diag tests reveal that alternator and battery are just fine. My key is a year old, and the only key on the ring. I get no dash warnings. Car just won't turn over. I can't start the car every couple of weeks. (intermittent) Diags suggest that the electronics are draining the battery faster than I can charge the battery, but this is a guess. No correlation between temp outside and ability to start. The car could be running for 15 miles, turn it off, then can't start it. Two jumps so far in one month: 15-min wait fixed the 2nd occurrence (radio still worked); jump fixed the first occurrence (radio still worked). I drive the car every 3 days for about 30 miles a day. Everyone will sell me a new battery, but none of the mechanics believe the battery is the problem. They don't know what the problem is. The workaround is - drive the car more often and keep radio/heater/AC off for the first 15 minutes. I'm told to buy a trickle charger. Really?

Last edited by resume-writer; 10-31-2013 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-31-2013

ezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond reputeezone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by resume-writer
I have a Honda Civic 2010 (expired warranty), 35,000 miles. I have a similar problem. All diag tests reveal that alternator and battery are just fine. My key is a year old, and the only key on the ring. I get no dash warnings. Car just won't turn over. I can't start the car every couple of weeks. (intermittent) Diags suggest that the electronics are draining the battery faster than I can charge the battery, but this is a guess. No correlation between temp outside and ability to start. The car could be running for 15 miles, turn it off, then can't start it. Two jumps so far in one month: 15-min wait fixed the 2nd occurrence (radio still worked); jump fixed the first occurrence (radio still worked). I drive the car every 3 days for about 30 miles a day. Everyone will sell me a new battery, but none of the mechanics believe the battery is the problem. They don't know what the problem is. The workaround is - drive the car more often and keep radio/heater/AC off for the first 15 minutes. I'm told to buy a trickle charger. Really?
After 3 days when it won't start: Has the battery actually been drained of its electricity?

Or does the battery still have plenty of juice, but there is a bad connection somewhere? (I'm guessing it is this one since you say it can happen after sitting 15 minutes.)

Follow the battery negative cable to the attaching point on the frame. Take that apart (10mm bolt) and clean the rust and corrosion off of the cable end, the bolt, and I like to remove some of the paint from the body so the cable can contact clean, shiny metal. Coat it all in grease (I use dielectric), and reassemble.

I like to do the same thing for the other ground cable that goes from the body to the transmission while I'm in there. Both ends.

Report back here if this solves your problem.

HTH
Old 11-08-2013
Registered!!

tellafella is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re: New honda civic 2010 having starting problems?

there is this weird situation with my Honda 2007 CRV when starting. It sounds like the battery is dead because when starting the car is slowly cranking the engine and is draining slower and slower, but the battery is actually fully charged. My Next guess is that the alternator is bad. but No when the car runs the alternator is charging at around 14 volts. My next suspicion is that the starter is possibly going bad.But my common sense tells me that a starter is either good or bad. If its not the starter and not tha battery and not the alternator, what could possibly explain its sluggish starting behavior lately? Also, another clue is that when the car runs for extended time, if I turn it off and then crank it, it chirps to life without hesitation.

Cheers!

Ian-
Old 11-08-2013
Hey! Look At Me!! I'm a Supporting Member!!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Stock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of lightStock 99 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tellafella
when starting the car is slowly cranking the engine and is draining slower and slower, but the battery is actually fully charged. My Next guess is that the alternator is bad. but No when the car runs the alternator is charging at around 14 volts.
That's a funny looking Civic you've got there...no matter though.

How do you know the battery is fully charged? Have you tested it with a load meter? This would be my #1 suspicion and a dying battery can take an alternator with it as the alternator will end up constantly charging a dying battery. The two almost go hand in hand. I don't know where you live but it's funny as the mercury drops how threads like this start to pop up.

I myself had exactly the same thing happen just as the colder fall overnight temps were starting this year but knowing the drill immediately changed my battery after the first slow crank so I didn't have to shell out for an alternator as well (been down this road many times over the years) . Everything has been fine for me since changing out the battery (6 weeks ago).

I would almost guarantee it's a dying battery but go get it load tested right away before you spend any money on anything...

hope this helps..
Old 11-08-2013

2007 CRV when starting. It sounds like the battery is dead because when starting the car is slowly cranking the engine
There's an awful lot of the 2.4 engines that crank slow like this....

We have replaced starters in several of the 2.4 engines (Accord/CRV/Element) for sloooow cranking (and sometimes won't crank at all), sounds exactly like a weak battery but battery is in good shape while this is happening.

CRV is a PITA to change the starter in IMO....
Old 02-10-2014
Registered!!

SharonSmith is an unknown quantity at this point

I bought my Honda Civic 2010 used...has about 18,000 miles on it. It won't start, no lights, no sound, no nothing. Tested the battery and it's good. What could the problem be?
Old 02-10-2014
35+ Years Driving Japanese Autos

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
CraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of lightCraigW is a glorious beacon of light

Poor connection at battery terminals, poor connection at major grounding points. Open large amperage fuse open from bungled jump start attempt.
Old 02-10-2014

Originally Posted by CraigW
poor connection at major grounding points.

Pics of the battery negative cable attachment point, these do seem to rust and corrode:

Name:  kEEXQ5N.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  803.8 KB

Name:  XKN0Yo2.jpg
Views: 245
Size:  760.5 KB
Old 06-01-2014
Registered!!

ChepZ BARBER is an unknown quantity at this point
Lightbulb Re: New honda civic 2010 having starting problems?

there is this weird situation with my Honda 2007 CRV when starting. It sounds like the battery is dead because when starting the car is slowly cranking the engine and is draining slower and slower, but the battery is actually fully charged. My Next guess is that the alternator is bad. but No when the car runs the alternator is charging at around 14 volts. My next suspicion is that the starter is possibly going bad.But my common sense tells me that a starter is either good or bad. If its not the starter and not tha battery and not the alternator, what could possibly explain its sluggish starting behavior lately? Also, another clue is that when the car runs for extended time, if I turn it off and then crank it, it chirps to life without hesitation.

Cheers!

Ian-

Have your electrical I switched my pump ,relay, cam, posion sensor and it turned out to be a wire from a harnes that powers the ignition ,fuel pump relay and pump. I just bought the harnes for about $25 and didn't have to worry about looking for the exact wire and I look at the problem as a tune up if it wasn't for that happening I wouldn't of got half of the thing that I replaced for new bit glad I fixed it and hope. U get it fixed too

Last edited by ChepZ BARBER; 06-01-2014 at 04:50 AM.
Old 07-21-2015
Registered!!

Erin White is an unknown quantity at this point

Very grrr with my 2010 civic. Out of blue it just wouldn't start. Had battery checked, was good but was told alternator was going out. Put new alternator in everything good for about a week and then car won't start again. Again , had battery and alternator tested both good. Started unhooking the negative terminal from battery every time I turned the car off and hooking it back up. This worked but got very old so bought another battery. All was well for a week and now won't start again. Tried turning the key to the II and waiting for the noise to stop before attempting to start, tried using just single key, valet key nothing worked. Green key light flashes for a second but does not stay on and previously before new battery when car wouldn't start the entire car was black. No dash lights, dome lights, couldn't use key entry, wouldn't turn over just nothing. Now with the new battery I'm able to use key entry all the usual sounds and lights come on when open the door, dash lights but there is a loud almost humming noise from the stereo maybe even if the stereo is off. One try I will get the clicking noise when key is trying to turn over other times nothing at all. Also noticed that when I use the remote key system to lock or unlock the car, which is always, that it no longer flashes the lights or honks the horn when I push the button to lock it. Weird. Also,before the alternator was replaced the ac just stopped blowing like it should on each 1,2,3 etc setting. No longer blows at full blast, in fact the full blast is more like #1. Heard a unfamiliar noise coming from under the hood almost like something had too much pressure and just let out some steam, most likely from the ac hose/cap. Also sounded like it shot out the eughaust. Very odd strong smoke blew out of the vents in car and Car idles extremely rough almost to the point I think it's going to die esp when I come to a stop. Is there any way a leak or malfunction in ac syatem could cause a pull on my battery? Has anyone experience Any of the million issues I've listed here? Just a push in the right direction would be awesome. Thanks
Old 07-21-2015

Originally Posted by Erin White
Very grrr with my 2010 civic. Out of blue it just wouldn't start. Had battery checked, was good but was told alternator was going out. Put new alternator in everything good for about a week and then car won't start again. Again , had battery and alternator tested both good. Started unhooking the negative terminal from battery every time I turned the car off and hooking it back up. This worked but got very old so bought another battery. All was well for a week and now won't start again. Tried turning the key to the II and waiting for the noise to stop before attempting to start, tried using just single key, valet key nothing worked. Green key light flashes for a second but does not stay on and previously before new battery when car wouldn't start the entire car was black. No dash lights, dome lights, couldn't use key entry, wouldn't turn over just nothing. Now with the new battery I'm able to use key entry all the usual sounds and lights come on when open the door, dash lights but there is a loud almost humming noise from the stereo maybe even if the stereo is off. One try I will get the clicking noise when key is trying to turn over other times nothing at all. Also noticed that when I use the remote key system to lock or unlock the car, which is always, that it no longer flashes the lights or honks the horn when I push the button to lock it. Weird. Also,before the alternator was replaced the ac just stopped blowing like it should on each 1,2,3 etc setting. No longer blows at full blast, in fact the full blast is more like #1. Heard a unfamiliar noise coming from under the hood almost like something had too much pressure and just let out some steam, most likely from the ac hose/cap. Also sounded like it shot out the eughaust. Very odd strong smoke blew out of the vents in car and Car idles extremely rough almost to the point I think it's going to die esp when I come to a stop. Is there any way a leak or malfunction in ac syatem could cause a pull on my battery? Has anyone experience Any of the million issues I've listed here? Just a push in the right direction would be awesome. Thanks
Maybe the AC clutch relay is stuck on, it's killing the battery overnight and causing the compressor to run when it shouldn't.
Old 05-29-2017
Registered!!

jamierazorback is an unknown quantity at this point

Cheers!

Ian-
It's interesting a point you made. I have a 2007 Civic lx and I have the same issues. The last few winters when it was cold, it was really bad. So I got a new battery about a month ago and now I notice it doing it a lot. Even in the summer. For a while, it would make a buzzing or grinding sound when starting it. It doesn't do that anymore. The weird thing is once you get it to crank and drive say 15 minutes and turn it off; it will crank right back up with zero issues. I've tried the 2 position and waited for the fuel pump to crank as well and sometimes it works. Sometimes it wont. I can count on the car after sitting like 6 plus hours that it will have a hard time starting. I have a friend who is a Honda tech and he claims he's never heard of the issue. He just did a battery and alternator check for me and both came back as great. I'm at a total loss with what the issue is.
Old 05-30-2017

Originally Posted by jamierazorback
It's interesting a point you made. I have a 2007 Civic lx and I have the same issues. The last few winters when it was cold, it was really bad. So I got a new battery about a month ago and now I notice it doing it a lot. Even in the summer. For a while, it would make a buzzing or grinding sound when starting it. It doesn't do that anymore. The weird thing is once you get it to crank and drive say 15 minutes and turn it off; it will crank right back up with zero issues. I've tried the 2 position and waited for the fuel pump to crank as well and sometimes it works. Sometimes it wont. I can count on the car after sitting like 6 plus hours that it will have a hard time starting. I have a friend who is a Honda tech and he claims he's never heard of the issue. He just did a battery and alternator check for me and both came back as great. I'm at a total loss with what the issue is.
Sounds like it is going to need a starter.
Old 05-30-2017
Registered!!

lil_abi_d is an unknown quantity at this point

You know what? It's not just you
I have a Honda Civic 2005 amd it's being doing the same thing.
The answers in here helped a little
I'm going to try that.
Old 06-03-2017
Registered!!

jamierazorback is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ezone
Sounds like it is going to need a starter.
I think your right. It sounds like about 80 percent of these issues are solved with a new starter. The car is 10 years old now, so I figure it's probably the issue.
Old 01-25-2019
Registered!!

CivicGal29 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fcosorio
So i dont know much about cars but my new automatic honda civic is working weird. It berealy has a 1000 miles on.When its really cold outside, especially early in the mornings and late at night, the car feels like it doesnt want to start. it shakes. I put in the key and try to start the engine and it sounds like the car doesnt want to start, as if it's forcing it...I dont know if thats normal or not on honda civics because of the seize of the engine but i know that new cars are not supposed to do that. I mean, besides that, the car runs great. the engine feels awesome, etc. its just the starting and its been happening a few times since i got it. Like i said it, happens when its really cold. Im not even sure because once it wasnt even called outside and it also happened but the car for some reasong was foggy in the inside.

In more or less. I already took my car to the shop get it checked out and they said the car has nothing wrong...so i dont know whats going on. so what do you guys think it might be? you know how it takes like 1 or 2 seconds for the car to start? well when i first do in the morning it takes like 4 or 5..like the car is forcing it or pushing hard to start...alsmot it seems like it's not about to..however, after it does, the car runs great and sounds fine and when i try to start it over again, it does perfectly...please let me know what you think, i dont know what to do and i dont want to deal with this issues on a new car...thanks
Yeah my car shakes a ton when its close to starting, maybe half the time I start my car it takes longer than 5s and stutters a bunch. It feels super close to starting but stutters/coughs a lot kinda, shakes really bad, then just resumes cranking like normal speed. If it's not starting that day for me in the 1st sec or two, it takes much longer. I hate the way it sounds though, 3 or 4 times in 10s it stutters or hiccups and almost starts but just quits. I have to try starting it again if it doesn't start at the end of 10s.

Some days it takes me > a few min of hard cranking if it's really being a pain in my butt (one day it took 6 times at the beach, so I tried starting it 5 full times and when my cars being dumb like this, it tries starting for 10s each time I push my start button. It took over 50 secs of cranking to start the dumb car in 95 degrees, we were all melting by the time it finally frickin started that day). It was annoying AF, like it was cranking/stuttering and shaking the whole time until it finally started sluggishly with a couple puffs of smoke FML

it sounds so dumb when my car won't start right away, I hate how wimpy it sounds whenever it stutters and gags, so I just cross my fingers and hope no one is around to see/hear me starting the car. I started parking outside the parking garage bc I hate how men love telling me I don't know how to start my own car. They seem like they take pleasure in pointing out how bad my car sounds when it takes me a few times. I cringe everytime it stutters or stumbles now.

Sorry, back to the shaking though. I really got worried after a min at the beach bc I could feel my car was shaking real bad the last 5 or 6 times it stuttered and gagged. By like the 4 or 5th time I pushed start, I really thought we were walking. It was like so close to starting every time, we could feel my car shaking and the rpm would jump to like 400 a few times, but didn't quite make it. Just when Jenn and I were gonna walk back, I pressed start again and it stumbled 3x before finally starting, WE BLASTED THE AC!