Detailing Look here for questions and answers on detailing and washing your car etc.

Orbital Buffer Advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2002
Registered!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nytejade is an unknown quantity at this point
Orbital Buffer Advice

I just purchased a Craftsman Orbital Buffer from Sears. I was wondering if anyone could give me some tips on using it. Seems simple enough, but I'd still liket o hear of peoples' experiences using them.
Old 10-16-2002
Registered!!

Litespeed is an unknown quantity at this point
Just apply the wax and go at it... Some buffers will mess up the paint in you press too hard. When I say press hard I mean like put all your weight into it. Just make sure you buff all the wax/polish off.

What I've heard most importantly is the type of wax/polish you use. A lot of people get swirl marks on their cars from orbital buffers. Someone from a detail shop told me that the type of wax/polish you use will decide whether swirls are left after you buff your car with an orbital buffer.

Get some carnuba wax... i hear that stuff is suppose to be the best.
Old 10-29-2002
The Standard One

VNlilMAN will become famous soon enoughVNlilMAN will become famous soon enough
i've heard your not supposed to put any pressure at all. just let the buffer do the work. dont leave it at one spot for a long time as it might burn the paint. also the applicator you use might make a big difference.
Old 10-29-2002
Registered!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
VTEC01EX is an unknown quantity at this point
I use a Sears orbital on my car as well, and have for my last few cars. Make sure to use terry cloth bonnets to apply (don't use those stupid paper ones that they sell with them). I usually remove the wax by hand. Just put a small amount of liquid wax on the pad, apply to a section, and when you see it starting to run thin, apply a little more. Don't put it on too thick as it will waste wax and be much harder to take off.

Oribtal buffers, when used properly, can be used to reduce swirl marks. You just have to make sure the surface is clean, and that you're using the right applicatior and a product that's not too abrasive. I use and highly recommend Mother's California Gold Carnauba Wax.